Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: House committe votes in favor of Vikings stadium bill

Great news for the Purple and Gold... Zygi, you are the man.. In less then 1 year as owner, you have proven to be miles ahead of Hillbilly McCombs. Hopefully in a couple of years, we will be playing in a new stadium.. Awesome.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Benet" wrote:
    Wow.. Tight votes, the both of them. The most important one is the vote NOT to have a referendum, seeing as an abstained vote counts as a NO, I think.

Can someone confirm if I'm right or totally wrong on that?
    You are correct Benet

In Minnesota if somebody makes a choice not to vote on a referendum the state is allowed to cast a NO vote, even tho the person obviously did not want to vote on this issue.

This in my opinion is unconstitutional, I hope that someday it is challenged and either changed, or referendums are no longer allowed! Referendums are a scape goat for politicians. the politician can say that I did not make the Twins and the Vikings leave, I gave the people the right to vote, in a fixed referendum. So the politician looks like he is the man of the people, but in reality he is a spineless leader who can not make decisions that he was voted into office to make! And he doesn't have to worry the next time he is up for reelection that people well be mad that he voted for or against the stadiums.

Example:

120,000 people vote on the referendum and it has 73,000 yes votes and 47,000 no votes, but 195,000 people voted in this election, so 75,000 people that did not vote on this issue have their votes cast as a no vote.

So the referendum is defeated and the news will say that the stadium was soundly defeated, when in reality it should have been approved.

People that voted on the referendum
    60.8% in favor
    39.2% against

Referendum is defeated by a 37.4% yes to a 62.6% no vote because of the non-voters votes being cast as a no vote.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

hopefully they get the new stadium
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Well atleast theres some great news! Lets keep the ball rolling and get this done!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Sorry if this has been posted, I did a search and didn't come up with anything..

Vikings Could Kill Twins Deal
    By: Viking Update Staff

Date: May 5, 2006

Just when it seemed Minnesota's baseball future was secure, short-sighted state senators have put both the Vikings and Twins stadiums in jeopardy.

When a Twins stadium deal sailed through the Minnesota House of Representatives last week, it seemed like one of the stumbling blocks to the Vikings getting their Anoka County stadium deal done was on the horizon.

That was last week. A week later both the Twins and Vikings stadium deals -- and perhaps the future of both franchises in Minnesota -- are hanging in the balance thanks to the arrogance and ignorance of a few "well-intentioned" senators.

For the last couple of years, it was believed that the Twins stadium question would come to a legislative vote first. After Congress failed to get anything done concerning stadiums -- as much out of pre-election cowardice than anything else -- the Hennepin County Board of Commissioners took the issue and ran with it. The county voted to impose a .15 percent sales tax -- three cents on every $20 -- to build a stadium. It seemed like a slam dunk. The host county would pay the freight. No money from outstate counties would be needed. Who could vote against that?

Apparently hard-headed, childish legislators that haven't been able to finish their own legislative business on time in 10 of the last 11 years. After seeing previous proposals die in committee due to partisan in-fighting, county officials tried to take the power away from the state. All the legislature was required to do was agree that the proposal didn't need a voter referendum. That proposal passed the state House of Representatives last week. It's been effectively shot down by the Senate.

For reasons unknown, the rules committee of the Senate grabbed the bill from another committee before it could be voted on and completely changed it -- tying the Vikings and Twins stadiums together, increasing the sales tax to pay for it from .15 percent to .50 percent, making the tax applicable to the seven counties in the Twin Cities metro area and putting no end date on the tax -- which would be used for transportation funding long after the stadiums were paid for. And, perhaps worst of all, the bill also requires a statewide referendum, which will likely kill both stadium bills in one swoop.

The conventional wisdom had been that, if taken separately, both the Vikings and Twins stadiums would eventually get done. Now, thanks to the idiocy of a few power-hungry senators, the prospect of Minnesota potentially losing both the Twins and the Vikings is as close now as it's ever been.

Vikings could Kill Twins deal

twiztedfait is offline Starter

"Benet" wrote:
    Wow.. Tight votes, the both of them. The most important one is the vote NOT to have a referendum, seeing as an abstained vote counts as a NO, I think.

The no on the referendum does not mean that it will not happen.

For example the twins stadium cleared the house with a no vote on the referendum. The bill went to the senate and had a referendum tacked on to it via adendment.

I am keeping my fingers crossed but anything is still possible.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Twizted

This was posted on page one in response to Benet.

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:

You are correct Benet

In Minnesota if somebody makes a choice not to vote on a referendum the state is allowed to cast a NO vote, even tho the person obviously did not want to vote on this issue.

This in my opinion is unconstitutional, I hope that someday it is challenged and either changed, or referendums are no longer allowed! Referendums are a scape goat for politicians. the politician can say that I did not make the Twins and the Vikings leave, I gave the people the right to vote, in a fixed referendum. So the politician looks like he is the man of the people, but in reality he is a spineless leader who can not make decisions that he was voted into office to make! And he doesn't have to worry the next time he is up for reelection that people well be mad that he voted for or against the stadiums.

Example:

120,000 people vote on the referendum and it has 73,000 yes votes and 47,000 no votes, but 195,000 people voted in this election, so 75,000 people that did not vote on this issue have their votes cast as a no vote.

So the referendum is defeated and the news will say that the stadium was soundly defeated, when in reality it should have been approved.

People that voted on the referendum
    60.8% in favor
    39.2% against

Referendum is defeated by a 37.4% yes to a 62.6% no vote because of the non-voters votes being cast as a no vote.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Ddawg84 is offline Starter

Man... I am so nervous!!! I want a new Vikings and Twins stadium so bad!!! We can not let our teams leave and learn our lesson the hard way again!!!

I don't even wanna think about this, but I just did... and I don't wanna say it, but I am gunna! haha....
    Ok but what would you guys do if the Vikings left and won their first superbowl in another city???

I thought about what I might do... But I don't wanna put that on here too...!!!!

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

It all comes down to the idiocy of several senators, representatives and committee members that have been against new stadiums for a long time. These m0r0ns have not learned the lessons of the North Stars, and almost losing the Twins in 2002. They are too concerned with sitting on their fat cans, keeping their fat paychecks and retirement money to do their jobs. Remember the government shutdown of last year? These are the same idiots that let THAT happen. If they try to sabotage these bills again, they won't HAVE their jobs next time an election year rolls around. People will see to it that they get thrown out on the street.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

This things needs to get done. We don't need a Laker/Northstar repeat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast