Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hoping For Some Feedback

Recently I was given the privilege of becoming the writer for my favorite team, the Vikings, for a website. Today's article is up and I was hoping for some feedback from other Vikings fans. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tice May Be Saving His Job

Just a mere four weeks ago nary a person believed in the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings were staring down the barrel of a horrific season. They were 2-5, all pro quarterback Daunte Culpepper was injured and it was found out that he would be out for a year, the bye week sex cruise fiasco was headline news still, the Vikings were the laughingstock of the NFL, and the only question about head coach Mike Tice was whether he would be fired during the season or at the end.

Then suddenly things turned upward for the Minnesota Vikings. Veteran quarterback Brad Johnson took over the offense and became a calming influence. Head coach Mike Tice began coaching harder than ever, trying to save his team and his job. Tice for the first time in his tenure began sitting in on defensive practices and meetings during the week of practice. Tice even scrapped some of the defensive plays he didn't like. His team became more aggressive and played to their strengths. The offense changed from a high risk, high powered offense, to an offense that values ball control and taking care of the football. Tice got his team to look at the little things and pay more attention to detail, which in turn helped to solve their road woes, and helped him and his team discover a new winning formula. A winning formula that takes pieces from each facet: offense, defense, and special teams. This new formula was in rare form against the New York Giants when he saw his team return an interception, kickoff, and punt for touchdowns in a win. It was feat that had never been accomplished by an NFL team. The new offense guided by Brad Johnson is more efficient, and has gotten back to smash mouth football, behind an offensive line that Tice wants to have an attitude that they are going to whip their opponents behind.

All of this has lead to a resurging Vikings team that has gone 4-0 with Johnson at the helm and vaulted themselves up off the mat and into playoff contention. All the while Tice and company are proving all the so-called "experts" wrong. Sitting at 6-5, only 1 game behind the NFC wild card leaders and 2 games behind the NFC North Division leading Chicago Bears, the Vikings are relishing their underdog role, and have overcome adversity all season to get to where they are now. Don't be mistaken though the Vikings have plenty of work left to do, and it's still unlikely that they will make the playoffs. However, the Vikings and their coach Mike Tice deserve some apologies from those who counted them out and labeled them dead.

Winning seems to cure everything. And for the Vikings it is. No longer is there the talk of Onterrio Smith, owner of the original whizzinator; a coach scalping Super Bowl tickets; the "Love Boat" scandal; and the loss of Randy Moss. Instead there is a team brimming with confidence and hunger. Now there is talk of playoffs. PLAYOFFS!? PLAYOFFS!? You heard right, the once left for dead Minnesota Vikings and Mike Tice are marching toward an unbelievable and unexpected turnaround as they try to make it back to the playoffs, and in turn save Tice's job.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/mike-tice-vikings291105.php

Del Rio Guest

Re: Hoping For Some Feedback

"All the while Tice and company are proving all the so-called "experts" wrong"

My issue with it is the list of things you have in your article: ball control, running game, and the rest are KNOWN to be good football.

So why was Tice not practicing it with Culpepper? Why was he not implimenting the things that the world knows wins football games? The answer is he thinks he is a so-called "expert".

Make no mistake this new found scheme isn't the love child of Tice's intelligence and wisdom. It was born out of neccesity. It was forced upon him.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

At least Tice was smart enough to realize that he needed to be more involved...I think that maybe he had way to much trust in Culpepper's abilities and in the abilities (or lack thereof) of his coaching staff. Only after Pep was sidelined and his faith in his assistants was rewarded with a 2-5 start did Tice spring into action and start exerting more control over all facets of the game. Tice may actually have what it takes to be a head coach...except for one thing...he will have to surround himself with top-notch assistants...all successful managers surround themselves with eagles (not turkeys) in the business world. And Tice will definitely have to work on his in-game adjustments...that is the main job of the head coach...to be able to make the right calls where the rubber hits the road!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet Guest

Good point Del Rio, I think you hit it right on the head.

An example of Tice's coaching prowess was given by Mike Florio at PFT.com:

"Latest example of the fact that the head coach of the 6-5 Vikings is no brighter than the guy who was coaching the team when it was 1-4? Leading Cleveland 3-0 and moving the ball toward the end zone, a pass from Brad Johnson bounced off of receiver Travis Taylor and was caught by a diving Chris Crocker of the Browns.

Or was it?

The last replay of the interception shown before FOX cut to a commercial break showed that the ball might have touched the ground as Crocker was attempting to secure it. And as the spots rolled for the home audience, Tice had plenty of time to realize that a challenge was in order.

But more than two minutes later Tice still hadn't thrown the red hankie.

Tice got lucky. On the next play from scrimmage, Browns quarterback Trent Dilfer coughed up the ball and the Vikings later punched it in for their first touchdown of the day -- and never looked back."
    Tice is a bottom-feeder coach.

Del Rio Guest

I saw that myself and was screaming about it. The turnover made me forget about the no call.

He definately hasn't earned an "I told you so!" yet. Some fans will try to convince you he has, but the jury is still out.

As far as the article it is well written. I'm not a big fan of it in general. I do think you will hit a large audience that will eat it up though and that is a good thing.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

I think the article is well done.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"cajunvike" wrote:
    At least Tice was smart enough to realize that he needed to be more involved...I think that maybe he had way to much trust in Culpepper's abilities and in the abilities (or lack thereof) of his coaching staff. Only after Pep was sidelined and his faith in his assistants was rewarded with a 2-5 start did Tice spring into action and start exerting more control over all facets of the game. Tice may actually have what it takes to be a head coach...except for one thing...he will have to surround himself with top-notch assistants...all successful managers surround themselves with eagles (not turkeys) in the business world. And Tice will definitely have to work on his in-game adjustments...that is the main job of the head coach...to be able to make the right calls where the rubber hits the road!
    I don't know Cajun. I don't think we are doing better because of Tice's involvement in all facets of the game. The difference is, IMO, Brad Johnson, who I read is over ruling calls from the side line and calling some of his own plays in the huddle or at the line. Something that Culpeper did not do because of his lack of skill in reading a defense in time to change a call. :smile:

WWBGD

Prophet Guest

VFE, I liked the artice. I just realized you wrote it, good work. I sure hope his job is not saved though. They are winning in spite of Tice.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"RK" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    I don't know Cajun. I don't think we are doing better because of Tice's involvement in all facets of the game. The difference is, IMO, Brad Johnson, who I read is over ruling calls from the side line and calling some of his own plays in the huddle or at the line. Something that Culpeper did not do because of his lack of skill in reading a defense in time to change a call. :smile:
    I would agree for the most part...I didn't mean to come off as a Tice advocate...BUT his input is preferable to Loney and Cottrell having total control...they are even more inept than Tice is. As far as BJ pulling a Peyton and calling some plays, I hadn't heard that but if it is true then that gives us a distinct advantage having Brad in there instead of Pep...more than makes up for the loss in athleticism. :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Not a "bad" article...but not overly insightful either. There isn't anything there that hasn't been said (ad nauseum) by countless writers already.

The REAL Viking story - in my opinion - is the change in the play on BOTH sides of the ball...and where that has lead us.

On Defense, the removing of "similar" plays (Not plays Tice "didn't like"), allowed the players to know their roles better, which - in turn - lead to a faster and more effective Defense with fewer blown assignments. The added pressure up front has lead to far more turn overs. Turn overs turn into a shorter field, and shorter fields turn into points.

Pretty academic.

On Offense, the reliance on the short passing game - with the occasional shot downfield - has really been effective (Except versus New York). The short game is less prone to turnovers (Something that we suffered from a great deal with Culpepper in), and the shots deep keep Defenses honest.

It has also opened up our running game. While in no way do we resemble an elite running team, we do pose enough of a threat in both areas that defenses can't concentrate on any single aspect.

To me, one of the largest contributors to our successful Offense (Aside from the obvious...Brad Johnson) has been the fantastic play of our Receivers and Tight Ends. Taylor and Wiggins are as dependable as they come, and the Robinsons are situationally dangerous enough to warrant extra attention. With that many passing weapons, it is virtually impossible to shut us down completely...unless we do it to ourselves.

Taken as a whole, we are turning into a "good" team. Not a great one, but one that you have to take seriously every single play. We can sting you on both sides of the ball...and on Special Teams.

Tice's job may be saved by him taking more control back from his coordinators - neither of whom can be considered in the elite ranks. Cottrell is overly fond of confusingly complex Defenses that only succeed in fooling his own team...which is why Buffalo and New York both showed him the door. Loney simply isn't ready. He may develop into a fine OC...but he just isn't there yet.

Hopefully Zygi Wilf is astute enough to recognize where are greatest areas of concern are...the Coordinator and staff positions. Give Tice a real staff to go along with his real team, and we just might get somewhere.

Last, in your article you state that "it is unlikely that the Vikings will make the Playoffs". Why? We're currently 8th in the NFC, and the NFC South (Which has 3 of the teams ahead of us) have a slough of Division games on their schedule. Somebody is going to slide there. That leaves Dallas and New York in the NFC East. They meet each other this weekend, and one of them could wind up tied with us (If it's New York, we hold the tie breaker). And, most importantly, Chicago - ahead of us by only two games - has a fairly tough row to hoe with games against Green Bay (x2), Pittsburg, Atlanta, and us. They could EASILY drop 3-4 of those in spite of their fantastic Defense (Kyle Orton isn't exactly tearing up the record books).

Couple the above with our remaining schedule, and the Vikings very much have their own destiny in their hands. So, I believe that it is not only possible we could make the Playoffs, it's downright probable. That is, of course, so long as we can maintain this current level of play.

Caine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast