Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Honest;y how do you see this season going

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1105156
    Why would we be worse than last year?

Childress is gone, that has to buy us a few games.

Favre is gone. McKinnie is gone. Madieu Williams is gone.

We respect our current coach.

We lost Rice and Edwards. So what? Rice barely played last year. Edwards produced because of who surrounded him.

We drafted well, got healthier at secondary, deeper at WR and younger as a whole.

The shortened offseason might impact those young players, but I honestly can't imagine how we don't play better than we did last year.

You can ignore everything I just wrote and read this one sentence: Without a horrible coach, teams play better. Brad Childress was a horrible coach, therefore we will be better.
    1. Just because Childress is gone, it doesn't buy us wins.

2. McKinnie is gone, but if we didn't replace him with anyone better, we didn't improve. So far with Johnson, we didn't improve.

3. Madieu is gone, but if we didn't replace him with anyone better, we didn't improve. We didn't replace him with a FA star, we replaced him with his backup.

4. Rice played in 6 games last year & still out performed what Berrian did in 14 games. Just because he only played part of the year last year, doesn't mean that is the new norm. We would have had him for 16 games.

5. For Robison to be better than Edwards, he must exceed what Edwards did. Because of your claim, Robison's production will also be because of who surrounded him. Last night he only had 1 assist against a horrible Seahawks OL.

6. We may have gotten deeper at WR because of body count, but I don't think we got better. Adding more mediocre players isn't adding improvement. Making another mediocre player, your new "go to" deep guy isn't improving the WR corp. Berrian only had 28 receptions, 252 yards & 0 TD's in 14 games last year with Rice was out for 10 games.

I like what we did with the Rudolph signing, Ponder looks promising & so far Erin is more impressive than I thought he'd be.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

8-8 seems like a generous record for the Vikings this year.
    We're bringing purple back.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

I'm really of two minds on this. I really believe that our team is better right now than what last year's record says, but then again, I am also seeing how our opponents have improved and the tough schedule we have, and that worries me.

If you look only at the Vikings themselves, we should be at least a .500 team, if not better. 10-6 would be a reasonable proposition, IMO.

But when you look at what we're up against, the picture gets much bleaker.
    Within our division, the Lions continue to improve, the Pack are defending champs (although I honestly believe they were more lucky than good last year), and the Bears, well you never know with them. I think they step back a bit but can still be a difficult foe, especially on their home turf. If we can come out even in divisional games, we might be OK.

As I mentioned in the other prediction thread, I think the NFC South games will be crucial for us. We absolutely must win the majority of these or we are going nowhere.

Don't count out the Chargers and Chiefs either. SD always starts slow, but they will be at home for the opener. KC is a tough place to play and has some excellent young talent. Cassel may not be flashy, but he's solid and can hurt you if you don't watch out.

There are just no easy wins on this schedule, unless you maybe want to consider Carolina. Even they should not be dismissed, though. With a talented rookie like Newton coming out, you never know what might happen there.

I'm standing with my 8-8 prediction, starting slow but coming on strong at the end. As has happened so often before, it won't be quite enough.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator

12-4
    I promise.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Such pessimism.......

10-6/11-5

Rationale.

a. Offensive Scheme.

Starting with the QB (and his eventual replacement), tracking into the addition at TE, mix of RB's (AD/Toby/Booker) and Harvin, I think this offense fits the scheme better than any offense we have had for along time.

Most on here will bring in discussion points that prove the 2009 team was better and that would be hard to disagree with, however, I would also like to point out that the scheme (to use everyones cliche) fits what everyone brings to the table, especially very early in the season, mostly with the OL in mind.

We won't put up many points in the first 3 or 4 weeks of the season, but I think we will be a hard offense to get the ball away from once we have it.

Most importantly, even though I have been hacking on ole Musgrove, I have also started to sing his praises a bit. Would it be heartwarming to see alot of points on the board by the offense so far? Sure, however, my friends, look at the progress the offense has made so far with very little reps to get it done.

I am very confident that they will start to carry their own weight before most of anticipated they would.

b. Defense.

Been chanting this since Leslie took over as interim HC, but I absolutely love what coach Pagac brings to the table with the new Zone Press look. Even in its most vanilla of forms (against weak OL's though) the front 4 are getting pressure alone. LB'rs are in the right places to cover the shorter zones (except the slant) and the DB's are up on the recievers, routing them to the inside were there is help.

c. Player loss vs Player improvement

QB. Again, I love what Dnabb brings, especially watching how he uses the RB's and TE's. It won't be exiciting, but I anticipate that he won't have alot of turnovers either.

LDE. I still say that we are fine over there. Rob might get the initial start as Robs replacement but Griff will push him. Look at how he is doing filling in at RDE for JA. Can you imagine what he will do on the other side? If not, Awasim/Ballard or heck, even Rob could step in and possibly hold that position down.

NT. I'm loving what I'm seeing out of Ballard and Guion. Are they true NT's playing in an UT role as ole Phat Pat used to do? No, but in this new scheme, does it really matter? Teams are running with a bit of success but it for the most part at our LDE. I believe the staff will fixt that issue as I mentioned in the LDE paragraph.

Rice. Back to the scheme. I am still not sure his absence won't be felt later on in the year, but atleast for now, it appears that (even without Harvin on the field) the passing production is going to be pretty effective with the use of TE's and Backs out of the backfield.

Aside from that, we are starting to see glimpses of the intermediate routes getting some production in last weeks game.

Big Mac. Again, I didn't get to watch Johnson this weekend, but by all accounts he was pretty effective. I don't think Big Mac will be missed by many.

Ben. Erin has done nothing to make me think that he isn't going to be a bright spot this year. Cat has led the team in tackles both games so far.

Additions.....

Ced Griff. He will be the key to the new look. Anyone remember him when he first started to come around and how they used him to shut down guys like Andre Johnson?

One thing I worry about though, contracts.

We need to see something done with the corp group of players that are on their last year or are on a tender. Last thing we need are players that take Rices/Edwards attitude and start to protect themselves for their next contract.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

rednorsk is offline Rookie

There is an interesting evaluation of the team in the Pioneewr Press today. Not exactly glowing comments.
    None

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1105156
    Why would we be worse than last year?

Childress is gone, that has to buy us a few games.

Favre is gone. McKinnie is gone. Madieu Williams is gone.

We respect our current coach.

We lost Rice and Edwards. So what? Rice barely played last year. Edwards produced because of who surrounded him.

We drafted well, got healthier at secondary, deeper at WR and younger as a whole.

The shortened offseason might impact those young players, but I honestly can't imagine how we don't play better than we did last year.

You can ignore everything I just wrote and read this one sentence: Without a horrible coach, teams play better. Brad Childress was a horrible coach, therefore we will be better.
    Head coaches are over valued. Especially when they are not calling the plays.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

I tried being optimistic after the game on Saturday night when I saw some positive things, but then I had to remember who we were playing against.

I really don't know what I expect from this season, but I hope for the best! I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say 8-8.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

I think once everyone is healthy and set then we will have a winning season, so 9/7.. optimistic?.. maybe but who cares right?!.. B)

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

I am not optimistic this year at all,we got serious concerns at WR,OL,DB,DL(No Williams)and new QB and coaches.
    Besides we gonna play in one of the toughest divisions.I just cant see us winning more than 5-6 games to be honest
    El underdog.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast