Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Honest question....do the Refs hate us?

I came in last in the marathon because others ran faster.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    Obviously, your shoes hate you.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"Eldin" wrote:
    I know it feels like the Vikings are often the brunt of poor officiating, but it's just an illusion.
    Every team's fans feel that way and every team gets their fair share of bad calls.

I do feel like the Dugan tripping call against the Steelers was blown and so was Grant fumble to open yesterday's game.
    At the same time, I thought the headbutt on Jolly that extended our drive was pretty weak.
    I felt "dirty" for the team after that score.
    Yeah, the points are nice, but that's not how you want to get them.
    You want to feel as if they were earned.

Still, I figure we lost 7 on the first blown call and gained 4 on the second, so it was still a net loss and didn't turn the game significantly in our favor.

The non-call on the face mask was a mistake too, but it was inconsequential for the outcome of the game--which is not to suggest it was inconsequential for Berrian's health and safety.

While I agree all fans feel that way to some extent, last night, combined with last week, made me feel like there was prejudice against us. I don't seriously think there is, but those were some BAD games called, by both crews.

Why don't the refs have someone watching the TV feed like fans. Maybe they'd see some things... Just an idea to start convo over..
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

"Webby" wrote:
    Speaking as someone who was a referee for many years, we are human.
    Consistently interpreting rules and "spirit of the game" rules at full speed is tough, especially with so many very close, gray area happenings all game.
    You want to consistently apply the rules; also avoid make up calls and tit-for-tat stuff that also denegrates the integrity of the game.
    Refs know when they blow a call.
    Trust me.

I don't know of many fellow refs who hated a team or who would ever outright blow something because of favoritism.
    People that have a ref's disposition generally search for right and equitable calls by nature.
    They want to have a "good game" too.

Once, I ended up centering a match between my old school and our arch enemy I used to play against for a long time.

Didn't matter, my role is to make that game fair and safe for the players by enforcing rules.
    People howled when I didn't give my old team an edge.
    Oh well.
    I also scored a 98% on that match as I found out later it was being observed.

Yes, there are a few bad apples, but usually they get culled out over time.

In the big leagues with the amount of review they get, I doubt they can carry an agenda very long before being sent back to athletic association reffing.

Webby has it right.
    I reffed flag football in the service and was judge for gymnastic meets throughout ND.
    No, you are never a popular person, but calls are made as seen.
    They should not be open for interpertation by outside elements and nutrality is the key element.
    You will hear negative from players, coaches, and fans, but you have to have conviction in what you are seeing is right and have the courage to call it.
    Are there bad calls, sure.
    However, the refs and umps keep a violent game from becoming a gang war and keeps people safe.

"CCthebest" wrote:
    Hate may have been a strong word but i think the refs watch some teams more then others and dont give them the benefit of the doubt. Look at AD a few weeks ago against the pack. His forward momentum was stopped, yet when the ball was stripped it was called a fumble. Same EXACT thing happened to Grant yesterday but the play was called dead.
    The difference is that at least one ref didn't see that the ball came out yesterday and blew his whistle when, but not before, Grant hit the ground.
    Forward progress is a nice way to cover your ass as a ref and save the Vikes a challenge they couldn't win, but it seems incredibly more probable watching the replay that it was not what the ref originally saw.
    The ref saw Grant go down and thought he still had the ball.
    Once that whistle blew, even though the ball was already out, the Vikes were not going to get possession because of the way the rules are set up.

It's just a missed play because the ref didn't see it right and so blew the whistle early.
    It happens.

Look at the hit hit Ray Edwards got called for as being a late hit and then look at the shot one of the pack (kaufmen i think) hit farve with an there was no call. The guy even held his hands up after the hit like saying he was trying to pull up.
    I agree that the late hit call on Edwards was poor.
    And that the Pack got away with one.
    But the Vikes got away with at least one earlier as well when someone went to the head on a hit on Rodgers.

These are just a couple examples about a team we played twice this year. Sure seems like the refs have it in for the Vikes and are willing to give the pack the benefit of the doubt.
    I think we're naturally biased.
    We remember and talk about it when the Vikes get jobbed, but very rarely when it happens to the opponent.
    The refs had a bad game last night in my opinion, and maybe it benefited the Packers more than the Vikes.
    But even if that is the case it is hard for me to believe that it is anything other than simply a matter of chance that calls favor the other team.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

"Prophet" wrote:
    WTF does this have to do with the thread? Or are you trying, in your oh so wonderful way, that im being paranoid and theres no way a ref crew might give one team more leeway then another?

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"CCthebest" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    WTF does this have to do with the thread? Or are you trying, in your oh so wonderful way, that im being paranoid and theres no way a ref crew might give one team more leeway then another?

Z responded correctly.
    It has everything to do with this thread.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

tomer629 is offline Waterboy

anyone remember the home game vs detriot last year.
    I was sick leaving that game after they won, because it was one of the worst calls I have ever seen, and it totally gave us the game.
    So yea, bad calls have helped us too.

I dont think the refs hate us, I just think that a lot of them are downright incompetent, and need to be replaced with full time, year round refs.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"CCthebest" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

It's the no excuses win the game answer.

If you draw your attention to the white board.
    Here is the marathon which is supposed to be the football games.
    Then Z talked about how they had faster shoes.
    Those shoes are supposed to mean people whining about refs and how it doesn't really matter.
    And boom, that's a TD.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach

You have to learn to live with the good and the bad calls. We get some we lose some. I do agree that some teams and even some players get hawked on by officials but that is usually a by product of the way they play.

The only thing apart from the late hit on Favre that wasn't called that bothered me on Sunday was one officials reaction to the Robison fumble, he seemed to react like it was a personal triumph to ge the first down, he indicated the same way a player does when he runs or catches a ball for the 1st down on a 3rd and long situation.

Bothered me all game after it happened
    Purple till i die

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456