Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Be Honest... Have you...

I have explained here how my life as a Cubs fan is colored by an expectation that they will choke. So, when they win something, I am always pleasantly surprised.

I do not now and have never felt the same way about the Vikings.

I expected them to win in '98. And 2001. I expect them to win this year and I do not harbor secret feelings of doom and dread.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I've been a Vikings Fan for a very very long time. As a fan, I believe it's my duty to believe in my team ( The Vikings ) every time they take the field of play, and face that days enemy. I have never believed that they won't win a game, be it a pre-season game or even the top dog of all, The Super Bowl. 4 Times now I've been honored to watch our team take the field for the Top Honors, and all four times I believed they would win. I always have believed, on any given day, any team can beat any other team in the whole NFL. Go ask the then, 18-0 Pats VS the NYG for the Super Bowl.....I highly doubt that Most NFL FANS surely believed that the Pats where going to lose that game outright. Thank God, the Giants had something they wanted to say about that outcome. LOL

Well, I belive we are on the road to our 5th Super Bowl this season, and this will be the year that the Vikings finaly find that promised land and title " World Champions " of the NFL.

If we lose between now and then, or lose at the big show,sure I'll be sad and disapointed, but I'll still love my Vikings. Next year we will win it for sure!..

NordicNed

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

My soul has been ripped from me too many times in the past and I'm hardened. That being said, I'm optimistic going into the playoffs. You can take any team in the playoffs, with the possible exception of the Colts, and point out plenty of blunders this season. Can't wait for the playoffs to start.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Optimistic.. But as a Vikings fan you always have that sense of the letdown that is to come. Say we eek out a win against Chicago in overtime and then beat the Giants at home.. I'm a bit more optimistic then with the #1 seed. Is the #2 seed just as good? I think so.

You just always get that sense as a Vikings fan that the Eagles will win, the Packers will win, and Rodgers will best Favre at the dome and go on to the NFC championship. You don't want to say it or hear it but it's very much a possibility with the way the Packers have been playing lately. That would be the outcome that would truly rip my heart out like the Vikings have so many times in the past.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

NodakPaul wrote:
    Think of it this way - in order to really enjoy a thrill ride, you need to be a little scared that you don't know what is going to happen...
    Couldn't have said it better.

I go into each season believing they are going to win it all and after they haven't won it all, I believe that next year will be the year.

Now I'm not quite as old as some of you on here but I'm old enough to have been thinking that way longer than a few of you have been alive.

Can't for the life of me figure out why any fan wouldn't think the same way. :dry:

In the end, of the 32 teams that started out this year, we are still one of the 12 that are left, have home field advantage for atleast our first game and stand a good chance to still win it all.

20 other teams can't say that.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i am young, so my first season that i actually remember really rooting for the vikes and not just watching the tv cuz everyone else was, was 1998. nothing could be worse than that. the vikings prepared me for a lifelong letdown that day, but i still believe they can win it all.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Like Ned, the vast majority of the time my Vikings have taken the field, I have felt like they COULD or WOULD win. Certainly thought they WOULD win all four of the SBs, felt like they WOULD win in 1998, felt like they WOULD win in 2000.

But like Prophet, my heart has been ripped out so many times that I'm starting to get hardened. When I was young/in my teens, they won so often, virtually every loss devastated me...but especially so in the postseason. I couldn't believe that Hail Mary game...we had the Cowboys pinned back, on the run, no way they were going to score a TD on that defense...

By the time the Raiders SB came along, after the Vikes had blocked the first punt of Ray Guy's career and stood poised to take their first ever lead in the Super Bowl...I watched dejectedly as Brent McClanahan fumbles the ball on the 2. Then I watched Clarence Davis and Fred Biletnikoff dismantle the Vikings defense. I quit watching after Tark's pick six, another opportunity lost.

I remember Tommy Kramer and the Vikings streaking out to a big lead against the Eagles in 1980, only to be outscored 31-2 the rest of the way as Kramer throws five picks...

Back to back losses to the Niners in 88 and 89 by a combined score of 75-22...

Losing a home playoff game to the Redskins in 92, mustering only 148 total yards...

Then losing a home playoff game to the Bears in 94 by turning the ball over 4 times (all four by Moon?)

Losing 40-15 to the Cowboys in 96 (trailing 30-0 at halftime), then 38-22 to the Niners in 97 (allowing journeymen Terry Kirby and JJ Stokes to both gain over 100 yards)

Losing 41-0 to (IMO) an inferior Giants team on a day with weather that favored the Vikings at the Meadowlands...

And most recently, needing only a win over the feeble Arizona Cardinals to win the division and knock the Packers out of the playoffs, only to see a total collapse over the final five minutes capped by Josh McCown to Nate Poole miracle...and the Vikings, after starting the season 6-0, fail to make the playoffs.

The kind of performances I used to see in the days of the Purple People Eaters have been largely replaced in the past 30 years by teams that look good going into the postseason, only to get blown out or to lose to teams they have no business losing to. I've seen so much failure, and perhaps the wisdom of age has tempered my once-youthful enthusiasm, that I seldom take the losses as hard as I once did. Losses like 98 and last season scarcely bother me, as at least the team was competitive and had their chances to win. They still hurt, but at least they leave me with some pride.

Don't get me wrong...I am optimistic and hopeful about this Viking team (and every other in years past)...but I no longer assume victory at season's end as a given.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

I do have that spot WAY down in my stomach that is fearful of a loss. Especially to the Packers, but that spot is not as strong as my faith in this team.

I think we were all shell shocked in 1998 and that we all learned a lesson not to take anything for granted, so I don't. None-the-less, I still very much like our chances based on who is out there and what our team brings to the table.

As much as it would pain me to lose (especially to the Packers) I still feel confident that we can win the NFC and then anything can happen. And while losing to the Pack would hurt ... I still want those fuckers ... I wouldn't have it any other way.
    None

Actually ... 24 teams can't say that because we are assured to be one of the final 8 standing.

But that does not change the fact that a Divisional loss in particular would be devastating.
    None

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler

purplepat wrote:
    Like Ned, the vast majority of the time my Vikings have taken the field, I have felt like they COULD or WOULD win. Certainly thought they WOULD win all four of the SBs, felt like they WOULD win in 1998, felt like they WOULD win in 2000.

But like Prophet, my heart has been ripped out so many times that I'm starting to get hardened. When I was young/in my teens, they won so often, virtually every loss devastated me...but especially so in the postseason. I couldn't believe that Hail Mary game...we had the Cowboys pinned back, on the run, no way they were going to score a TD on that defense...

By the time the Raiders SB came along, after the Vikes had blocked the first punt of Ray Guy's career and stood poised to take their first ever lead in the Super Bowl...I watched dejectedly as Brent McClanahan fumbles the ball on the 2. Then I watched Clarence Davis and Fred Biletnikoff dismantle the Vikings defense. I quit watching after Tark's pick six, another opportunity lost.

I remember Tommy Kramer and the Vikings streaking out to a big lead against the Eagles in 1980, only to be outscored 31-2 the rest of the way as Kramer throws five picks...

Back to back losses to the Niners in 88 and 89 by a combined score of 75-22...

Losing a home playoff game to the Redskins in 92, mustering only 148 total yards...

Then losing a home playoff game to the Bears in 94 by turning the ball over 4 times (all four by Moon?)

Losing 40-15 to the Cowboys in 96 (trailing 30-0 at halftime), then 38-22 to the Niners in 97 (allowing journeymen Terry Kirby and JJ Stokes to both gain over 100 yards)

Losing 41-0 to (IMO) an inferior Giants team on a day with weather that favored the Vikings at the Meadowlands...

And most recently, needing only a win over the feeble Arizona Cardinals to win the division and knock the Packers out of the playoffs, only to see a total collapse over the final five minutes capped by Josh McCown to Nate Poole miracle...and the Vikings, after starting the season 6-0, fail to make the playoffs.

The kind of performances I used to see in the days of the Purple People Eaters have been largely replaced in the past 30 years by teams that look good going into the postseason, only to get blown out or to lose to teams they have no business losing to. I've seen so much failure, and perhaps the wisdom of age has tempered my once-youthful enthusiasm, that I seldom take the losses as hard as I once did. Losses like 98 and last season scarcely bother me, as at least the team was competitive and had their chances to win. They still hurt, but at least they leave me with some pride.

Don't get me wrong...I am optimistic and hopeful about this Viking team (and every other in years past)...but I no longer assume victory at season's end as a given.

Wow!

That's some memory. You need to drink alot more
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast