Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Be Honest... Have you...

Prepared yourself for the let down... you know the one... the one the Vikings ALWAYS deliver... or are you already buying tickets to Miami and a 12 pack (okay, 36 pack for Marrdro)... one to celebrate a win, the other a devastating loss?

Me? I'm already prepared for the let down... frankly, the losses at the end of the season helped a ton in that regard. We went from being a power house continually mentioned in the top 3 or 4 teams in the league to simply being a good team with several teams in the league hotter than us (SD, GB, Dallas, Philly). That helped me enjoy the run we had, 12 and 4 ain't nothing to shake your head at... helped me prepare for the disappointment the Vikings have historically brought. Hey, I have my fingers crossed that they'll break the mold, but my 30 years of experience with this team, and the mindset I'm currently in well allow me to go to work the day after a potential loss.

So where are you at... how emotionally vested are you in this team, this year?
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Be Honest... Have you...

I don't put much into us losing a couple games at the end of the year. Yes is sucked but they were on the road. Every team had peaks and valleys this year. Ours just happened later in the year. We are back on track and in domes the rest of the way. We have a great leader. We are the only NFC team undefeated at home.

Not sure why some think Philly is hotter than us. They just lost the division and now have to go on the road. The Cowboys are hot and so is Green Bay but both have shown they are beatable. I think many especially Packer fans are overlooking the Cardinals. Look what happened last year.

Truth is, any team can get hot and dangerous. I am not scared. Bring on any of those teams to the dome. I will be upset if we don't win the first playoff game but if we get to the NFC Championship game, that is one hell of a year. It would be even sweeter if that game is at the dome. Hear is to the Saints losing and us staying undefeated at home.

Flidais is offline Rookie

I'm not sure there are too many Vikings fans out there that deep down inside don't have that sick feeling in their stomachs worried about whether having the bye is a mistake. We wouldn't be traditional Vikings fans if we weren't waiting for the other shoe to drop.

That being said, there's not a team I'm afraid of as long as the Vikings show up. We'll have to beat ourselves.

Unfortunately, we have a habit of doing exactly that.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Preachin' to the Choir
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

I think most long time Vikings fans, like most Cubs fans, deep down have already been secretly preparing themselves for the worst. I mean, even if the Vikings reach the SB, we've still got the stigma of 0 for 4 to get over. Some of us have already gone through so much pain, the only way to deal with it is to be anticipating the heartbreak as inevitable. We're simply along for the ride no matter how long it lasts, and at least hope if we go down, we go down swinging like Vikings instead of some of the more futile efforts we've seen (41-0 to the Giants, 24-7 to Miami, 12 rushing yards vs. the Steel Curtain, etc.)

Reality is also that of 32 NFL teams, only one can be the champion. Now the odds of the Vikings being that champion are 1 in 12, which still means they only have about an 8% chance.

By the same token, even though we know our team is flawed, so is every other team in the tournament. There is no reason I can see why the Vikings shouldn't be just as likely as the other 11 contenders to seize the brass ring this time around.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I made hotel reservations for the divisional game before we locked up the division.

I am looking into reservations for the NFC Championship game now. I have already scouted out travel plans for Miami.

Right now I am riding high on the Vikings wave. I am enjoying every moment of it, and refusing to start preparing myself for any kind of let down. This IS the year we are going to make it, and I refuse to let any kind of guarded emotions bring me down from this high. There are a too many people IMHO who are looking for a letdown. Yeah, if we win they will be pleasently surprised, but you wont truely get to enjoy the emotional ride that the rest of us are.

Will I be devestated if we lose? Absolutely. But that is what makes it fun. Think of it this way - in order to really enjoy a thrill ride, you need to be a little scared that you don't know what is going to happen...

I am LOVING life as a Vikings fan right now, and I am ABSOLUTELY expecting us to be playing in Miami come Feb 7th.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Great idea for a thread, btw...

I personally have been a fan of the Purple since the early 1970's, so I've been through ALL the ups and downs with this team. 1998 was the worst for me, because I KNOW we were better than the Falcons, and better than Denver too. That being said, I know the Vikings' history of disappointing their fans. And before the 3 losses out of our last 4 games, I was ready to say this was a team of destiny. Now, not so sure. HOWEVER, I am a DIE HARD, in other words cut me and I bleed purple. I am ready for anything this team is ready to give. And when we DO finally win the Big One, I'll be the first one dancing in the streets!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

shockzilla wrote:

I personally have been a fan of the Purple since the early 1970's, so I've been through ALL the ups and downs with this team. 1998 was the worst for me, because I KNOW we were better than the Falcons, and better than Denver too. That being said, I know the Vikings' history of disappointing their fans. And before the 3 losses out of our last 4 games, I was ready to say this was a team of destiny. Now, not so sure. HOWEVER, I am a DIE HARD, in other words cut me and I bleed purple. I am ready for anything this team is ready to give. And when we DO finally win the Big One, I'll be the first one dancing in the streets!
    And I bet you will be singing this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbt30UnzRWw
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

NodakPaul wrote:
    shockzilla wrote:

And I bet you will be singing this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbt30UnzRWw
    LMAO!!!!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

purplepat wrote:
    I think most long time Vikings fans, like most Cubs fans, deep down have already been secretly preparing themselves for the worst. I mean, even if the Vikings reach the SB, we've still got the stigma of 0 for 4 to get over. Some of us have already gone through so much pain, the only way to deal with it is to be anticipating the heartbreak as inevitable. We're simply along for the ride no matter how long it lasts, and at least hope if we go down, we go down swinging like Vikings instead of some of the more futile efforts we've seen (41-0 to the Giants, 24-7 to Miami, 12 rushing yards vs. the Steel Curtain, etc.)

Reality is also that of 32 NFL teams, only one can be the champion. Now the odds of the Vikings being that champion are 1 in 12, which still means they only have about an 8% chance.

By the same token, even though we know our team is flawed, so is every other team in the tournament. There is no reason I can see why the Vikings shouldn't be just as likely as the other 11 contenders to seize the brass ring this time around.
    Not to nitpick... but our odds by roll of a die are about 13% (1 in 8) as 4 teams will lose before we even strap on our helmets!

NodakPaul... it's fans like you that make me want to invest in booze No matter who you are, you have to respect that passion and commitment.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast