Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Be HONEST - Has the DEFENSE really improved?

DelRio,

I said something similar to what you are saying, in a previous post a few weeks ago. Yeah, I think it is the learning curve and the fact that the game hasn't slowed for them yet. The are still concentrating on where they should be and the D read that they aren't making the plays because they are one step behind.

HarrisonB57 is offline Starter

Our Defense's problem is the Backers. I think they have been improving recently but still leave gaps wide open and don't do a lot on pass coverage. I think the best way to solve of LB problem is to just blitz them every down straight through the gaps. They get so confused sometimes in pass coverage that they take themselves out of the play. It would be just as good sending all of them at the same time. Or at least Keith because he is an amazing pass rusher.
    Live by the Slacker Rule. No Hurries, No Worries.

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

i really agree. i wouldnt mind a few more blitzes than we have now. and our secondary isnt horrible and our secondary could cover the rest of the wr indstead of our backers...... thats a great idea. ( im hopin for a pick up in this position in the FA or the draft) and i agree bout our backers. i wouldnt mind to have wohever chicagos quaterback looking like this :shock:.

go vikes!!! :salute:

Vikestand is offline Coordinator

I have seen great improvements on the line in my opinion....BUT...The LB's are biting too hard on the fakes...Need to keep on their assignments alot better then what they are doing...All I know is that they should continue what they have done the last two weeks and I will be happy...

By Pack93z

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

the last two weeks in the second half. They have been torched in the first half!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

the rush D that is.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

The Vikings dee has move up three places in as many weeks and this late in the season that is not the easiest thing to do.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Well, our d is moving up in rankings as the season goes on, compared to our D last year, that seem to get worse each week.

I will admit, that I expected our D to be better at this point in the year, but we are imporving each week and that is what I want to see from our D mostly.

I have not been impressed with cotrell as a D coordinator. He talked all offseason about being aggressive and then he plays bend but don't break D when the season starts.

Our LB play is what hurt us early, as did hovan doing nothing in there. I have watched our Lb's make a huge change since halftime of the lions game, especially EJ henderson. He is one of my favorite players, but I was extreamly dissappointed in his play, until the second half of the lions game, where he seemed to finally awake and get it.

I would like to see DT in the game more and more as the year goes on, and newman less and less. I doubt this will happen, but I would also like to see raonall smith back in there when he is healtyh, instead of claiborne. Smith seemed to make more plays when he was in there.

Our D-line, as expected, is getting better and better. Williams and udeze are extremely young, but also talented and that talent is really starting to show. Now with spencer johnson in there for hovan, we have another young inexperienced guy in there, so we will have ups and downs from him. Johnstone is playing at an unstoppable rate, which is nice to see.

We have so much talent at our corners, but I really don't feel cotrell is using them to there capabilities. He plays winfield and williams off, way way too much. Both of those guys can get right in their guys face and cover the hell out of them, but they hardly get the chance to do that. Even when we blitz, cotrell plays them off, which makes no snese to me. If we are blitzing, then the QB should have to throw the ball quickly, meaning why would we not be playing our corners close to the receivers to stop the quick passes??? This part of cotrells scheme just makes no sense to me.

I think this season has shown, what packers fans were trying to tell us all offseason, that our safeties are nowhere near as good as some of us thought they were after last season. Russell flat out needs to go in the offseason. Thank god we just gave him that crappy one year deal in the offseason, instead of a big contract like some people wanted. Chavous is a decent safety, but not a great one. He would be much better, if we could draft or sign an ed reed, roy williams, or sean taylor type of saftey next offseason.

All in all, I am dissapponted in our D so far this year, but am also happy they continue to get better and better as the year goes on. Next year is the year we can really expect a good D, with all the young guys we have playing right now.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I hope it is next year, I get really sick of saying that year after year.

"snowinapril" wrote:
    I hope it is next year, I get really sick of saying that year after year.
    Yeah, me too! But I hope the superbowl win comes this year!! I am REALLY getting sick of there's always next year! lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast