Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

At home at the dome

The work this summer includes installation of new turf (FieldTurf is being replaced by Sportexe turf) at a cost of $495,000; building an exclusive gathering place known as the Gridiron Club that is being put in on the upper level of the west side where the Twins had their offices ($700,000); fashioning a new Vikings ticket office where the Twins had theirs ($115,000); and an expansion of the Vikings Lounge that will see the elimination of the team's old ticket office ($25,000).
    Increased revenue

The Gridiron Club will charge 150 members $2,500 per season to join. The 3,800-square foot space does not have a view of the playing field, but it will have all-inclusive food and beverage services, a DirectTV package that will air games on the "Sunday Ticket" package and an outdoor deck on one side that overlooks the current plaza.

"It's going well," LaCroix said of the sales. "We're really trying to target the right season-ticket owners or potential season-ticket owners and companies that have interest in that area. It helps if you have seats on that side of the facility because it will be open pre, during and after the game."

In addition to being able to sell and keep the revenue from naming rights to the field -- there is now a large Mall of America sign on the top of the stadium -- and the gates, the Vikings have taken over the sales of signage inside the Metrodome. That is something the MSFC used to control and at one time was worth $1.9 million; that is no longer the case with fewer people entering the building.

LaCroix isn't exactly sure how much more money this might mean for the Vikings, but it will enable the team to expand the type of multi-platform packages it can offer to sponsors.

"It's something we were always interested in, gaining that control," he said "It was always a little bit awkward not being able to offer full exclusivity in your facility like literally almost all other professional teams can do."

Lester said while the MSFC remains healthy it has been willing to give the Vikings more control of the Dome because if and when the team leaves, the building no longer will be viable.

"The commission's objective was to give [the Vikings] the wherewithal to drive as much revenue as they can and we've literally done every single thing possible to do that," Lester said.
    At home at the dome
    Interesting article.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: At home at the dome

interesting...

I'm assuming they've worked it out and it will make money, but just doesn't make much sense to me.

Dropping a few mil into an old and outdated stadium that they plan on leaving in a year?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    interesting...

I'm assuming they've worked it out and it will make money, but just doesn't make much sense to me.

Dropping a few mil into an old and outdated stadium that they plan on leaving in a year?
    I think they are doing it to show their commitment to Minnesota. This will help in future negotiations for a new stadium, which even if it was approved this coming year wouldn't open until the 2013 season at best.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Erinnn is offline Starter

I hope they invest in some new sanitizer.

ESPN reveals food-safety violations at arenas, stadiums

For Minnesota's venues last year, the Metrodome was cited for having sanitizing solution that was too weak; a Target Center slice was not cleaned to prevent cross-contamination; and chicken strips at the Xcel Energy Center were found at 105 degrees, 35 degrees below what is required.
    At least the dome fared better than most of the other stadiums.

My issue with the dome isn't the niceness of it, I couldn't care less about that. With the exception of the new turf, I will probably never see or use the improvements (new ticket office, Gridiron club). I'm there to watch a game, and doing it in a nice stadium adds to the experience, but it's not essential. But I would like to be able to go to the bathroom, buy concessions or get through the corridors without it taking 30 minutes to get back to my seat. Last year during the GB game it took almost 45 minutes to get from the door to my section, and this little kid next to me was nearly trampled.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

My first thought was this is a good thing because it means the Vikings don't have plans on leaving. But then I realized it's all being funded by the MSFC. The team is investing nothing here. It won't hurt things, but it could be money wasted too(if the Vikings leave or a new stadium is built on the dome site).
    On a side note, who is going to pay $300+ per game to watch the game on tv?

Blog Entries

jmcdon00 wrote:
    My first thought was this is a good thing because it means the Vikings don't have plans on leaving. But then I realized it's all being funded by the MSFC. The team is investing nothing here. It won't hurt things, but it could be money wasted too(if the Vikings leave or a new stadium is built on the dome site).
    Good catch. I remember reading that, but I forgot.

The MSFC is using the revenues it generated from the Vikings' two home playoff games the past two years to fund much of the project.
    On that note - if the MSFC can generate $1.3+ million from two games... wow. No wonder the MSFC always operated with a budget surplus. All the more reason to build a new stadium!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

NodakPaul wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:

The MSFC is using the revenues it generated from the Vikings' two home playoff games the past two years to fund much of the project.
    On that note - if the MSFC can generate $1.3+ million from two games... wow. No wonder the MSFC always operated with a budget surplus. All the more reason to build a new stadium!
    Yeah, if they can just get another 500 or so home playoff games the stadium will be practically paid for.

Blog Entries

jmcdon00 wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:

Yeah, if they can just get another 500 or so home playoff games the stadium will be practically paid for.
    Lol. My point is that the MSFC has always operated with a budget surplus, which is one of the reasons they paid the original construction costs off early. Playoffs are just an example.

Even if revenue streams stay the same, a new stadium would pay for itself in taxes and direct revenue within the 30 year lease window.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

NodakPaul wrote:
    Lol. My point is that the MSFC has always operated with a budget surplus, which is one of the reasons they paid the original construction costs off early. Playoffs are just an example.

Even if revenue streams stay the same, a new stadium would pay for itself in taxes and direct revenue within the 30 year lease window.
    Does anyone know more about this stadium situation than my good friend NP?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:

Does anyone know more about this stadium situation than my good friend NP?
    I'd hope Wilf does.