Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Holy sh!t... Are they going to black-out the game?!?!

Does anyone know if they sold the tickets needed today to avoid a Twin Cities blackout?
    -Sno

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Holy sh!t... Are they going to black-out the game?!?!

Yes, they sold out.

They have other tickets available because the blocks allotted Carolina fans were returned.

Happens every week or so.
    400 + tix left.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

8) Whoo... Thankfully.

I saw a news story this morning reporting that they hadn't yet, and they only had till noon to sell out.

Good news. That would have been the first blackout since 1997 or something...

Thanks for the update, Webby!
    -Sno

Rastak is offline Rookie

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    8) Whoo... Thankfully.

I saw a news story this morning reporting that they hadn't yet, and they only had till noon to sell out.

Good news. That would have been the first blackout since 1997 or something...

Thanks for the update, Webby!

I remember those bad old days.....when I was a kid a home game against the Lions was blacked out so I had the little AM radio going and the Vikes blocked an extra point to win as I recall....man, I went nuts. But I'd MUCH rather see it obviously...actually, I will no matter what, I got my season tickets this year.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Where did you hear that report?
    The ticket office reported over a week ago that they were already sold out for the opener and the Green Bay game...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

hypothetically speacking, even if we have nfl ticket will it be blacked out? and couldnt Zygi just buy the remaining tickets?

I am confused. What is a black-out?

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

"IpartyWithSmoot" wrote:
    The NFL has a rule that says basically that, if the home team doesn't sell out the game by a certain time (72 hours before gametime), that the game will NOT be shown on TV locally (hence the term "blackout").
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

"shockzilla" wrote:
    "IpartyWithSmoot" wrote:
    The NFL has a rule that says basically that, if the home team doesn't sell out the game by a certain time (72 hours before gametime), that the game will NOT be shown on TV locally (hence the term "blackout").
    0h I see. Too bad I never get any of the games anyway because I live in WA
    :P

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

NFL blackout policy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_(broadcasting)

In the NFL, any broadcaster that has a signal that hits any area within a 75-mile (120 km) radius of an NFL stadium may only broadcast a game if that game is a road game, or if the game completely sells-out 72 hours or more before the start time for the game. If sold out in less than 72 hours, or is close to being sold out by the deadline, the team can request a time extension. The broadcaster is also not permitted to show a game even if it is a sold out home game in markets where there are two teams if one of the teams did not sell out their seats. Futhermore, broadcasters with NFL contracts are required to show their markets' road games. These requirements based on attendance mean that as a general rule, fans of teams with winning records will get to see all of their teams games on television, while fans of sub-.500 teams will only see the road games on television. Sometimes if a game is very close to selling out, but not quite there, a broadcaster with rights to show the nearly sold out game, will buy the remaining tickets (and give them to local charities) so it can broadcast the game. If blacked out, the broadcaster will air other programming, usually an alternate football game, instead. If it is a cable channel, like ESPN, the channel's signal will be blocked from the area. Fans can still hear the game on the radio, or get updates on the internet.

In a similar rule, to gather more ratings for a home team's game, the channels that do not have the rights to the home team's game cannot show another game at the same time, even if the home team's game is blacked out. As a result, if the home team's game is a Sunday day game that is on the network that does not have a doubleheader that day, the network that does have a doubleheader can show only one game. In addition, if the local team's game is scheduled to be on the network with the doubleheader that day but the game is blacked out, that network can air only one game that day. (Until 2001, this rule applied whether or not the game was blacked out.) Usually, but not always, when each network can show only one game each in a market, the two stations work out between themselves which will show an early game and which will show a late game. This only affects the primary market, and not markets in a 75 mile radius, which always get a doubleheader each Sunday.

The NFL has aggressively enforced this blackout policy, to the extent of pursuing legal action against sports bars that have used antennas to pull in distant television signals in order to show games for their home market's team that would otherwise be blacked-out.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast