Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holdouts

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Holdouts

"coreychavous21" wrote:
    You can blame the rookies because in the end it is there decision not to go to camp, not there agents. They should be excited as heck to get into camp and learn everything they can. If I ever had a chance to play pro ball I would take the contract they offer me and go play my jiggly butt off. These players havent proven anything in the NFL yet. If they have a good year this year than they can go ahead and ask for a different contract. But how can they want a certain amount of money when coaches havent even seen them play in training camp.

I wont dislike Troy and Erasmus for not showing up for camp, but I wish that they would just sign and get to practice.
    While it is ultimately the player's decision, it isn't an atomistic one. Sure, they sign the contract, but their job is to play football, not negotiate. You've got an agent whose job it is to do the negotiating, to be knowledeable about negotiating, your family, your friends. And they may all be telling you different things. And they you also know you're in the cream of the crop. You can get more and you're being told you should get more. There's a lot of pressure to get as much as you possibly can. If that means missing some of the camp, then that happens.

Quite honestly, if you or I ever had the chance to play pro football, we almost certainly would not be a first round pick. While you and I might be grateful to get paid the league minimum, a first round pick in 2005 expects and will get a whole lot more. To expect these guys to do what you would do is unreasonable, quite frankly.

And while they haven't proven themselves in the NFL, they have been preparing themselves for quite some time. For anyone who preps to join a competitive environment, they know that doing well during school, during an apprenticeship, or in some other "minor league" environment will pay- off in the "big leagues." The professional teams know this. Why else would they have chosen wiliamson and james in the first round. So, if a potential employer values someone that highly, then, why wouldn't that someone work to get the best compensation package possible?

At the end of the day, the team wants the player in camp perhaps most of all, so perhaps you should blame the team too. Afterall, it takes at least two parties to negotiate.

don't hate the player, hate the (negotiating) game.

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

perhaps the best way to avoid these situations is to have a base salary for first-, second-, third-round picks, and so on. Players could then negotiate an incentive package for their first year. After that first year "trial period", contracts for subsequent years could be negotiated, based on the value of the player to the team and their potential contribution.

This certainly favors the team over the player. But it would also give the agents less wiggle room and mitigate lagged signings, etc.

Well, this is just one fan's hope. In a cut-throat job market, I know that it's everybody for themselves.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

well one down one to go!

Burley81 is offline Asst. Coach

Don't you have to be under a contract to be in T.C. anyways?

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

yea you do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12