Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holdouts

Holdouts

Well, it's official now since they both missed yesterday, the first day of training camp that Troy and Erasmus are both holdouts. This sucks!
    "We are Lions!!" - Achilles (from the movie Troy )

Justin311 is offline Rookie

Re: Holdouts

there aren't alot of 1st rounders in camp and since very few have signed yet its to be expected. As soon as guys around them in the drfat slots are signed they will go too.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

I am starting to not like Troy Williamson at all.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

I couldn't beleive it when I read in the paper that Erasmus and Troy both were not in camp. That sucks so bad. You would think that Troy would want to get in camp and get practice with all the hype surrounding him about how he is suppose to "replace moss." If I were him I would defenantly not want to make a bad impression on anyone in the Vikings organization right now.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

Calm down, a lot of teams don't even have one first round pick signed we have to sign two. Look at the other teams with two first rounders the only one that has even signed one of them is the Chargers and their other guy looks to be a REAL long time holdout be thankful our team didn't pick Merriman.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

a couple of things to consider:

#1 These guys are following a well-trodden path. Worst-case scenario is that they pull a Bryant McKinnie. That would be awful. However, I can't really blame them. A lot of expectations are being placed on them. If I were in the position of James or Williamson, I would want to get the best possible contract to insure that my future employer was making the maximum investment in me. If things are negotiated right from the start, then in theory, they'll avoid the position that owens and walker have taken. Afterall, if you don't look out for your best interest, who else is going to do that?

#2 I think a lot of players see this coming. While it is absolutely important for the new players to be working on their skills, drills, and team cohesiveness, I think the vets know that contract negotiations take some time. I can't find the article, but a few days ago I read a piece in which Burleson or Robinson was quoted as saying that the rookies should get to camp asap, but players understand that they need to do what's right for their family and their future.

Of course, as a fan(atic), it's easy to get angry at this stuff. However, thinking reasonably, I can't really blame the rookies. (perhaps we should blame the agents?) I don't like it, but I understand it.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

"ColoradoVike" wrote:
    a couple of things to consider:

#1 These guys are following a well-trodden path. Worst-case scenario is that they pull a Bryant McKinnie. That would be awful. However, I can't really blame them. A lot of expectations are being placed on them. If I were in the position of James or Williamson, I would want to get the best possible contract to insure that my future employer was making the maximum investment in me. If things are negotiated right from the start, then in theory, they'll avoid the position that owens and walker have taken. Afterall, if you don't look out for your best interest, who else is going to do that?

#2 I think a lot of players see this coming. While it is absolutely important for the new players to be working on their skills, drills, and team cohesiveness, I think the vets know that contract negotiations take some time. I can't find the article, but a few days ago I read a piece in which Burleson or Robinson was quoted as saying that the rookies should get to camp asap, but players understand that they need to do what's right for their family and their future.

Of course, as a fan(atic), it's easy to get angry at this stuff. However, thinking reasonably, I can't really blame the rookies. (perhaps we should blame the agents?) I don't like it, but I understand it.
    You can blame the rookies because in the end it is there decision not to go to camp, not there agents. They should be excited as heck to get into camp and learn everything they can. If I ever had a chance to play pro ball I would take the contract they offer me and go play my ass off. These players havent proven anything in the NFL yet. If they have a good year this year than they can go ahead and ask for a different contract. But how can they want a certain amount of money when coaches havent even seen them play in training camp.

I wont dislike Troy and Erasmus for not showing up for camp, but I wish that they would just sign and get to practice.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

i know its a lot harder to sign two first round picks.

They should work it out soon the signed picks are getting ever so close to ours.

If they have a good year this year than they can go ahead and ask for a different contract. But how can they want a certain amount of money when coaches havent even seen them play in training camp.

That really worked for Walker earlier didn't it? Let's just get this right the first tme and not have to deal with holdouts later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast