Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Holcomb Cut

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Holcomb Cut

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    I would not like to see Mills replacing T Rich at all.
    IF anything, i'd rather see Kleinsasser back at FB with Mills and Shank at TE.
    Mills has some good speed and decent hands, so hopefully he'll get some more action this year so we can see what he's got.
    It might seem logical to try Mills at FB due to his size. But I doubt there are any plans to do that. The one game he played in he was used at tight end and looked like he had great hands. If he's going to replace anyone, maybe it will eventually be Shank. Shank doesn't appear to be the best blocker. He underperformed last season. And he's costing a lot of money.Although I expect Shank to have a better season this year, I think Mills will be his back up.
    But his size doesn't support the idea of replacing Shank with him.
    If we were to use him exclusively as a Pass Catching TE wouldn't that help D-coords gameplan when he is on the field (Make us more predictable)

Again, he would only be on the field in obvious passing situations as he just isn't big enough to be an everydown kindof TE because he won't be able to stand up to blocking DE's.

Now if you put him at FB, he is big enough to take on LB's as a lead blocker for a RB, able to split out from the backfield, as well as he would provide a very decent option off of a play action type play with him as the lead blocker - hitting the line and then releasing into the seam.

That kindof flexibility is what would drive a D-cord nuts.

Starts in the normal/traditional FB position.
    Moves out.
    FA or OLB would have to go.
    Probably OLB as the FS would have to respect our new FA WR on the outside and the other SS would have to respect either our TE and help with WR if he goes deep.

FS

SS

OLB

MLB

OLB
    CB

DE

DT

DT

DE

CB
    WR

MILLS

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

WR

QB

TE

MILLS

AD

Hits the line (Off Gaurd) acting as a lead blocker, QB fakes handoff to AD, LB's release to stop the run, Mills rolls free to space opened by SS and FS covering the WR's.
    In fact we say both T-rich and Dugan used this way last year for some decent gains.

FS

SS

OLB

MLB

OLB
    CB

DE

DT

DT

DE

CB
    WR

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

WR

QB

TE

MILLS

AD

Long story short, Mills at FB makes more sense than at TE because of his size and predictability associated with him coming on the field.
    Two agrees in a row
    I would like us to use Mills alot like the Skins use Cooley. Althought they still use thier FB as well.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    Two agrees in a row
    I would like us to use Mills alot like the Skins use Cooley. Althought they still use thier FB as well.
    Carefull, don't wind up being a Marrdro Conformist.
    That guy will just wear ya down.

;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Two agrees in a row

;D
    You have to drink the Beast to join that club...no thanks!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Two agrees in a row

;D

=Z=
    Your on a roll today my friend.
    Well played.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Two agrees in a row

;D
    Well played.

;D
    Even *I* have standards.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    I would not like to see Mills replacing T Rich at all.
    IF anything, i'd rather see Kleinsasser back at FB with Mills and Shank at TE.
    Mills has some good speed and decent hands, so hopefully he'll get some more action this year so we can see what he's got.
    It might seem logical to try Mills at FB due to his size. But I doubt there are any plans to do that. The one game he played in he was used at tight end and looked like he had great hands. If he's going to replace anyone, maybe it will eventually be Shank. Shank doesn't appear to be the best blocker. He underperformed last season. And he's costing a lot of money.Although I expect Shank to have a better season this year, I think Mills will be his back up.
    But his size doesn't support the idea of replacing Shank with him.
    If we were to use him exclusively as a Pass Catching TE wouldn't that help D-coords gameplan when he is on the field (Make us more predictable)

Again, he would only be on the field in obvious passing situations as he just isn't big enough to be an everydown kindof TE because he won't be able to stand up to blocking DE's.

Now if you put him at FB, he is big enough to take on LB's as a lead blocker for a RB, able to split out from the backfield, as well as he would provide a very decent option off of a play action type play with him as the lead blocker - hitting the line and then releasing into the seam.

That kindof flexibility is what would drive a D-cord nuts.

Moves out.
    FA or OLB would have to go.
    Probably OLB as the FS would have to respect our new FA WR on the outside and the other SS would have to respect either our TE and help with WR if he goes deep.

FS

SS

OLB

MLB

OLB
    CB

DE

DT

DT

DE

CB
    WR

MILLS

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

WR

QB

TE

MILLS

AD

Hits the line (Off Gaurd) acting as a lead blocker, QB fakes handoff to AD, LB's release to stop the run, Mills rolls free to space opened by SS and FS covering the WR's.
    In fact we say both T-rich and Dugan used this way last year for some decent gains.

FS

SS

OLB

MLB

OLB
    CB

DE

DT

DT

DE

CB
    WR

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

WR

QB

TE

MILLS

AD

Long story short, Mills at FB makes more sense than at TE because of his size and predictability associated with him coming on the field.
    See, I agree also! It seems logical. But he was not played at FB. He was played at TE so they could get a look at him before the season ended. I assumed it was an audition for the roster spot in 2008.
    I say we won't know if he can block tight ends adequately unless we see him do it. He certainly is smaller than most tight ends but so are most fullbacks who block linemen as well. Some small guys are strong and good blockers. He may gain weight and grow into that role.Besides, I'm not impressed with Shank as a blocker.
    I just think they see him as tight end or he would have had him at FB at the end of the season when he played.
    I hope they can get him on the field either way. He has the look of a playmaker.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Two agrees in a row

;D
    Well played.
    ;D
    Even *I* have standards.

=Z=
    i'm with you on this one Z...

But yea i'm definatly glad they cut Holcomb.
    Bollinger is a fine #3 QB, Holcomb was due way a much bigger salary than he deserved this year, good move

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

"stateVIKE44" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    I could care less about holcomb, but losing Richardson is a big deal. He made the pro-bowl and the vikings had the number one rushing offense, why would they break up that combo? I am really starting to wonder if the ownership and F/O are really willing to spend the money it takes.
    I see where you are coming from, but I choose to look at it another way. I look at that the ownership is willing to let go of a guy who was a ... good leader, fan favorite, and did his job WELL ... to make room for a guy that they think can do a BETTER job. It may sound funny, but I look at this as a positive. Sometimes I feel like ownership will grow so attached to a guy that they can't part with him when deep down they know they should. VIKES ownership has the TEAMS best interest in mind, and what the TEAM needs is young blood (probably mills .... maybe owen schmit) who can woop some PACKER BUTTOCKS!! They know that T-rich will be quickly forgotten if they have found his replacement, and KNOW that whoever that is will perform!

A Dog, to whom the butcher had thrown a bone, was hurrying home with his prize as fast as he could go. As he crossed a narrow footbridge, he happened to look down and saw himself reflected in the quiet water as if in a mirror. But the greedy Dog thought he saw a real Dog carrying a bone much bigger than his own.

If he had stopped to think he would have known better. But instead of thinking, he dropped his bone and sprang at the Dog in the river, only to find himself swimming for dear life to reach the shore. At last he managed to scramble out, and as he stood sadly thinking about the good bone he had lost, he realized what a stupid Dog he had been.

Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"marshallvike" wrote:
    "stateVIKE44" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    I could care less about holcomb, but losing Richardson is a big deal. He made the pro-bowl and the vikings had the number one rushing offense, why would they break up that combo? I am really starting to wonder if the ownership and F/O are really willing to spend the money it takes.
    I see where you are coming from, but I choose to look at it another way. I look at that the ownership is willing to let go of a guy who was a ... good leader, fan favorite, and did his job WELL ... to make room for a guy that they think can do a BETTER job. It may sound funny, but I look at this as a positive. Sometimes I feel like ownership will grow so attached to a guy that they can't part with him when deep down they know they should. VIKES ownership has the TEAMS best interest in mind, and what the TEAM needs is young blood (probably mills .... maybe owen schmit) who can woop some PACKER BUTTOCKS!! They know that T-rich will be quickly forgotten if they have found his replacement, and KNOW that whoever that is will perform!

A Dog, to whom the butcher had thrown a bone, was hurrying home with his prize as fast as he could go. As he crossed a narrow footbridge, he happened to look down and saw himself reflected in the quiet water as if in a mirror. But the greedy Dog thought he saw a real Dog carrying a bone much bigger than his own.

If he had stopped to think he would have known better. But instead of thinking, he dropped his bone and sprang at the Dog in the river, only to find himself swimming for dear life to reach the shore. At last he managed to scramble out, and as he stood sadly thinking about the good bone he had lost, he realized what a stupid Dog he had been.

lol, very well said, i was goign to say something about it... but i definatly cant top that.

And the Vikes arn't choosing to let T-Rich go, he's choosing to test his market value.
    I can all but guarantee if the vikes matched an offer (which if its a large offer, i really, really doubt they would), Richardson would stay here.
    What place is better for a FB than the team with the best rushing attack in the league? Altho i suppose that many rushes takes a toll on an older FB..

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678