Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    zakvikes2k is offline Starter

The history of the Vikings on the road...

Now we all know the Vikings have been terrible on the road, especially outdoors, each and every season, since forever. But there is really no explanation for their continued struggles. Although our defense has always been terrible, we still have always had one of the best offenses in the league, which should be able to atleast pull off a couple wins in the outdoors. So, pretty much, it comes down to team morale and mental toughness. For some reason, our players lose all of this when they go out in the cold. The Vikings always seem to look so damn good when playing at home, although these past few years they have looked awfully choppy. The team always seems to have a mental lapse, just depends on where in the game this happens, that usually being as soon as we are behind. So, do we need a new coach? new coaching staff? one mentally tough leader? or a bunch? or send a few players away? Something needs to be changed or added or sent packing. What do you all believe we need to change?, cause I'm personally sick of seeing the Vikes collapse way too often, which I'm sure you all are too.
    Things you would NEVER hear a Green Bay Packer fan say:
    1."No kids in the back of the pick-up, it s just not safe."
    2."I ll take Shakespeare for 1000, Alex."
    3."Duct tape won t fix that."
    4."Checkmate."
    5."Nope, no more for me. I m driving tonight."

My opinion: The Vikings have a great bunch of players, they just don't have the right group of coaches. Tice is way too much of a softee. He is a player's coach, which works fine with some teams, but not with this team. Babying this players obviously doesn't work. They've come out of the gates the past 2 seasons on fire, then not only cool down, but pretty much freeze after their great start. Unless Tice changes his philosophy, we need to have a change, and it should happen depending on what the Vikings record is halfway through the season. I believe 6-2 or better is the only way we keep Tice. Of course he is one of the lowest paid coaches in the NFL and McCombs loves that, but that is another story.
    4."Checkmate."

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

ya, im not too fond of tice either. He just doesnt have the coaching skills to get this team to play for a big game whether its at home or on the road on a grassy field.
    I blame a lot of this on tice, hes the one that can make this team better and he really hasnt done a whole lot.

Obviously we need to be practicing on grass a lot more since we dont win on the road or make some kind of adjustment to win consistently on the road.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

The Vikings definitely need a change at the coaching position as soon as possible unless Tice finally blossoms or his keep-the-players-happy strategy for some reason works. As big as Tice is, you'd think he'd be easily able to pump up his players before a game.
    4."Checkmate."

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Keep your players happy will only work in High School at best, sometimes.

My college roomate, was on a back to back to back to back to back to back championship football team. He said the coach was a hardass. But they all understood why, he(coach) wanted to win and they wanted to win.

The leader has to provide the focus and limit the distractions.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Coaching is a lot like parenting. Kids need three things to be successful; Love, Discipline, and Direction.

Football players - in many cases - are simply over-grown, spoiled rotten, "me first" kids. They become that way due to YEARS of preferential treatment, starting at the age that they first exhibit some exceptional talent for the game.

To be successful, a Coach needs to love his team - I think there's no doubt about that in Tice's case.

A coach needs to be able to give his team a direction - Tice has shown his desire to do that by acquiring Defensive talent (In spite of Red *I gargle goat goo* McCombs unwillingness to cough up the cash to bring in better FA talent.

That leaves discipline. This, oddly enough, is the hardest aspect to get. Look at what happened to Coughlin in New York when he put his foot down - he was blasted by the media for being an ass.

Tice is in a worse situation. Moss has a guaranteed contract. All his money comes no matter what he does - short of benching. Tice CAN'T bench Moss. If he did, Red *I had a threesome with a squirrel and a chipmunk - I was the pivot man* McCombs would be looking for yet another Pop Warner Coach to promote.

In short, Tice's hands are tied when it comes to Randy. Randy, on the flip side, doesn't seem to respond well to the "Authoritarian" style of coaching that many believe would most benefit him (Myself included). Why should he? All of his incentives are GONE.

So, Tice is left in the lurch. He can't hammer the other guys and not Randy...and he can't hammer Randy. I blame Green and Red *My favorite smoked sausage is in George Micheal's pants* McCombs for offering a contract with nothing to hang over Randy's head.

So, my take on Tice is - honestly - I like him. I don't believe that HE is the problem. I think that he is the scapegoat, and to me it's really too bad. Given an owner who was committed to winning, he probably would have been excellent.

Caine

JTSnow is offline Pro-Bowler

All i think we need to do to solve are outdoor problem is to have all the practices outdoors every week during the season.
    [img:4c22618921]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/vikingstw/Untitled-1.jpg[/img:4c22618921].

Burley81 is offline Asst. Coach

"JTSnow" wrote:
    All i think we need to do to solve are outdoor problem is to have all the practices outdoors every week during the season.
    And get a wayyyyyy better coaching staff

JTSnow is offline Pro-Bowler

"givemossthetoss" wrote:
    "JTSnow" wrote:
    And get a wayyyyyy better coaching staff
    that to
    [img:4c22618921]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/vikingstw/Untitled-1.jpg[/img:4c22618921].

The question is: Who the right coach is for this team? I mean we've let go of so many awesome coaches, including Billick who won a Super Bowl, Dungy who is great, and many more. Too bad we didn't promote Billick or Dungy while they were with the organization. They would be a lot better than Tice.
    4."Checkmate."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast