Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    His Sundays Are Murder

    [size=12pt]His Sundays Are Murder[/size]
    Fran Tarkenton, quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings, has to scramble to save his young life
    Tex Maule
    October 29, 1962

    Fran Tarkenton, the often beleaguered quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings (see cover), is a professional football player whose cup runneth over. Unfortunately for young Mr. Tarkenton, this is not the pleasant circumstance it might be for you or Miss America of 1962 or a Rockefeller. More often than not, Tarkenton's overflowing cup leads to a varied assortment of contusions, sore bumps and miserable afternoons that he remembers with as much enthusiasm as he would an acute case of food poisoning.

    The cup, it should be explained, is not a cup at all. It is the pros' word for the protective wall that the offensive line is supposed to throw around a passer every time he drops back to pass. On the Vikings last year the wall almost never materialized. In the first few games this season it was just a shadowy crock that leaked 250-pound ends and tackles. For most people the prospect of playing football behind the Viking wall would be terrifying. But for Fran Tarkenton, the earnest son of a minister who does not smoke, drink or even curse, playing quarterback for the Vikings is a challenge to master his job rather than to prove his bravery...
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  2. #2
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: His Sundays Are Murder

    Here are a couple interesting quotes from when Fran was in about the same stage of his career as TJack is (although Fran came from a DI university...or whatever it was called back then).

    ..."I got discouraged sometimes last year," Tarkenton said the other day with remarkable equanimity. "Not because I was getting hit, but because I was making mistakes. There is so much to learn about playing quarterback in this league. The toughest thing to figure is the defenses. In college [he played at Georgia] all I had to worry about was my pass pattern. Now I've got to recognize a defense in a couple of seconds, remember how they cover on passes, figure out the weakness in it and call an audible. I hope some day all that becomes instinctive. It's not now."...
    Things haven't changed much, but the NFL has even bigger players and faster players than it had in those days.

    ..."He had a tendency to throw too soft when he came up," Van Brocklin said the other day. "In college you can dunk a ball out there, but in this league if you hang a pass it's as bad as hanging a curve ball in baseball."...
    ..."When a quarterback is forced to run, you have taken away his effectiveness and made him play your game," he said the other day. "He won't beat you running. He'll beat you throwing the ball. That's what he's paid to do. As I once said, and say again, he should run only from sheer terror."

    Tarkenton, who knows now what Van Brocklin is talking about, agrees.
    Coming from a guy that retires being known as a scrambler.







    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Vikeman is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    641

    Re: His Sundays Are Murder

    "Prophet" wrote:
    [size=12pt]His Sundays Are Murder[/size]
    Fran Tarkenton, quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings, has to scramble to save his young life
    Tex Maule
    October 29, 1962

    Fran Tarkenton, the often beleaguered quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings (see cover), is a professional football player whose cup runneth over. Unfortunately for young Mr. Tarkenton, this is not the pleasant circumstance it might be for you or Miss America of 1962 or a Rockefeller. More often than not, Tarkenton's overflowing cup leads to a varied assortment of contusions, sore bumps and miserable afternoons that he remembers with as much enthusiasm as he would an acute case of food poisoning.

    The cup, it should be explained, is not a cup at all. It is the pros' word for the protective wall that the offensive line is supposed to throw around a passer every time he drops back to pass. On the Vikings last year the wall almost never materialized. In the first few games this season it was just a shadowy crock that leaked 250-pound ends and tackles. For most people the prospect of playing football behind the Viking wall would be terrifying. But for Fran Tarkenton, the earnest son of a minister who does not smoke, drink or even curse, playing quarterback for the Vikings is a challenge to master his job rather than to prove his bravery...
    Thanks Prophet!!!
    I loved Fran, and he played when QBs wer men's men.
    No rules to protect them, no frilly skirts...LOL!
    Even DBs had it made then.
    Ther was no "5 yd. chuck rule", and DBs could maul receivers at any time and any place on the field.
    It is so unfair for QBs of that era to be compared to the QBs of today.
    No overtime and only 14 reg. season games to pad stats.
    Take a good look at the old footage of QBs getting sacked.
    It was not uncommon to see a flagrant elbow or forearm shot directly at the QBs head.
    I'd like to see the immobile Dan marino or Tom Brady's career stats if they played under the same hostile, defensive friendly rules as Fran and the "old-school" guys.
    What the "Tuck Rule" my shiny, white and dimply a**!!!
    A good friend will help you move...a best friend will help you move a body.

  4. #4
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: His Sundays Are Murder

    "Vikeman" wrote:
    ....I loved Fran, and he played when QBs wer men's men.
    No rules to protect them, no frilly skirts...LOL!
    Even DBs had it made then.
    Ther was no "5 yd. chuck rule", and DBs could maul receivers at any time and any place on the field.
    It is so unfair for QBs of that era to be compared to the QBs of today.
    No overtime and only 14 reg. season games to pad stats.
    Take a good look at the old footage of QBs getting sacked.
    It was not uncommon to see a flagrant elbow or forearm shot directly at the QBs head.
    I'd like to see the immobile Dan marino or Tom Brady's career stats if they played under the same hostile, defensive friendly rules as Fran and the "old-school" guys.
    What the "Tuck Rule" my shiny, white and dimply a**!!!
    lmao, yeah, it would be fun to take away some protection rules and increase the roster size.
    I bet the leatherheads thought these guys were pansy asses.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  5. #5
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,563

    Re: His Sundays Are Murder

    Thanks Proph.
    Fran was clearly one of my favorites when growing up.
    The original WCO QB and one helluva runner.
    Everything changed when he got a better oline, Chuck Foreman, Sammy White and John Gilliam.
    Man, were they fun to watch!
    I grew up in Western Nebraska and wore a Vikings shirt to school every Monday (or Tuesday) following a win.
    Many great memories of our man Fran, the architect of a great offense and a terrific leader to aspire to as a kid.
    Personally, I love it when Deacon Jones and Merlin Olson are bleeped in the NFL Films Fran Tarkenton feature...he wore them out with his scrambling; simply can't get enough of that clip.

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  6. #6
    Vikeman is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    641

    Re: His Sundays Are Murder

    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Vikeman" wrote:
    ....I loved Fran, and he played when QBs wer men's men.
    No rules to protect them, no frilly skirts...LOL!
    Even DBs had it made then.
    Ther was no "5 yd. chuck rule", and DBs could maul receivers at any time and any place on the field.
    It is so unfair for QBs of that era to be compared to the QBs of today.
    No overtime and only 14 reg. season games to pad stats.
    Take a good look at the old footage of QBs getting sacked.
    It was not uncommon to see a flagrant elbow or forearm shot directly at the QBs head.
    I'd like to see the immobile Dan marino or Tom Brady's career stats if they played under the same hostile, defensive friendly rules as Fran and the "old-school" guys.
    What the "Tuck Rule" my shiny, white and dimply a**!!!
    lmao, yeah, it would be fun to take away some protection rules and increase the roster size.
    I bet the leatherheads thought these guys were pansy dimply buttocks.
    Compared to those guys, the guys today ARE pansy dimply buttocks...only worded just a little differently...LOL!
    A good friend will help you move...a best friend will help you move a body.

  7. #7
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: His Sundays Are Murder

    "Vikeman" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Vikeman" wrote:
    ....I loved Fran, and he played when QBs wer men's men.
    No rules to protect them, no frilly skirts...LOL!
    Even DBs had it made then.
    Ther was no "5 yd. chuck rule", and DBs could maul receivers at any time and any place on the field.
    It is so unfair for QBs of that era to be compared to the QBs of today.
    No overtime and only 14 reg. season games to pad stats.
    Take a good look at the old footage of QBs getting sacked.
    It was not uncommon to see a flagrant elbow or forearm shot directly at the QBs head.
    I'd like to see the immobile Dan marino or Tom Brady's career stats if they played under the same hostile, defensive friendly rules as Fran and the "old-school" guys.
    What the "Tuck Rule" my shiny, white and dimply a**!!!
    lmao, yeah, it would be fun to take away some protection rules and increase the roster size.
    I bet the leatherheads thought these guys were pansy dimply buttocks.
    Compared to those guys, the guys today ARE pansy dimply buttocks...only worded just a little differently...LOL!
    lol, you need to turn off your word filter so you can see the cuss words....unless you get off on the dimply buttocks and other variations.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  8. #8
    Vikeman is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    641

    Re: His Sundays Are Murder

    "MaxVike" wrote:
    Thanks Proph.
    Fran was clearly one of my favorites when growing up.
    The original WCO QB and one helluva runner.
    Everything changed when he got a better oline, Chuck Foreman, Sammy White and John Gilliam.
    Man, were they fun to watch!
    I grew up in Western Nebraska and wore a Vikings shirt to school every Monday (or Tuesday) following a win.
    Many great memories of our man Fran, the architect of a great offense and a terrific leader to aspire to as a kid.
    Personally, I love it when Deacon Jones and Merlin Olson are bleeped in the NFL Films Fran Tarkenton feature...he wore them out with his scrambling; simply can't get enough of that clip.
    Why did you not wear your Vikes jersey following a loss???
    A good friend will help you move...a best friend will help you move a body.

  9. #9
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: His Sundays Are Murder

    "Vikeman" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    Thanks Proph.
    Fran was clearly one of my favorites when growing up.
    The original WCO QB and one helluva runner.
    Everything changed when he got a better oline, Chuck Foreman, Sammy White and John Gilliam.
    Man, were they fun to watch!
    I grew up in Western Nebraska and wore a Vikings shirt to school every Monday (or Tuesday) following a win.
    Many great memories of our man Fran, the architect of a great offense and a terrific leader to aspire to as a kid.
    Personally, I love it when Deacon Jones and Merlin Olson are bleeped in the NFL Films Fran Tarkenton feature...he wore them out with his scrambling; simply can't get enough of that clip.
    Why did you not wear your Vikes jersey following a loss???
    A damn four decade fairweather fan, the worse kind.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  10. #10
    Vikeman is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    641

    Re: His Sundays Are Murder

    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Vikeman" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Vikeman" wrote:
    ....I loved Fran, and he played when QBs wer men's men.
    No rules to protect them, no frilly skirts...LOL!
    Even DBs had it made then.
    Ther was no "5 yd. chuck rule", and DBs could maul receivers at any time and any place on the field.
    It is so unfair for QBs of that era to be compared to the QBs of today.
    No overtime and only 14 reg. season games to pad stats.
    Take a good look at the old footage of QBs getting sacked.
    It was not uncommon to see a flagrant elbow or forearm shot directly at the QBs head.
    I'd like to see the immobile Dan marino or Tom Brady's career stats if they played under the same hostile, defensive friendly rules as Fran and the "old-school" guys.
    What the "Tuck Rule" my shiny, white and dimply a**!!!
    lmao, yeah, it would be fun to take away some protection rules and increase the roster size.
    I bet the leatherheads thought these guys were pansy dimply buttocks.
    Compared to those guys, the guys today ARE pansy dimply buttocks...only worded just a little differently...LOL!
    lol, you need to turn off your word filter so you can see the cuss words....unless you get off on the dimply buttocks and other variations.
    Funny thing...ultravikingfan just sent me a PM and said the same thing.
    Though I was in deep pooh, yet again!!!
    You know...I would if I could figure out how damn to do it!!!
    A good friend will help you move...a best friend will help you move a body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sundays With the Specialists 8/10/2008
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 06:36 AM
  2. Sundays With the Specialists
    By Garland Greene in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 03:25 PM
  3. Sportsbars for sundays games?
    By helabuknard in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2006, 06:02 PM
  4. Kluwe to miss sundays game
    By TARKenton in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 10:58 PM
  5. this sundays game is on?
    By poult in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 04:11 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •