Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Give McNabb a break!

I just came across this stat from ESPN.

Highest PCT of Pass attempts under duress (This season)

1. Michael Vick - 30.1%
    2. Donovan McNabb - 29.6%
    3. Jay Cutler - 27.2%
    4. Sam Bradford - 25.0%

NFL Average - 19.2%

---------------------------------------------------------------

Look at that list. Right in between Michael Vick and Jay Cutler, whose teams have been publicly crucified for the severe beatings that their QB's have been taking. Now look at that list with turnovers added.

1. Michael Vick - 30.1% (5 turnovers)
    2. Donovan McNabb - 29.6% (1 turnover)
    3. Jay Cutler - 27.2% (4 turnovers)
    4. Sam Bradford - 25.0% (4 turnovers)

Does this still look like it's all Donovan's fault? Give him a break! The man is taking a beating, yet has only turned the ball over ONE time in 3 games. In each of the last 2 games, he has passed for over a 60% completion percentage, 200 yards, and 0 turnovers. His closest competitors in pass duress all have at least 3 more turnovers than he does. I would also like to mention that every single one of these teams have a losing record. Coincidence? I think not. He is certainly not doing much to win this team games. He is inaccurate and slow on reads. But he isn't losing the games either. He is running for his life behind this line. Even more than Jay Cutler, whose been sacked 14 times in 3 games! I don't know what else you can expect from a 34 year old journeyman quarterback. He is not the reason that we are 0-3. Do you think that Kyle Orton or Matt Hasslebeck would be having success in these circumstances? Hell no. Before you criticize the guy, maybe you should look at the stats. Do you really want to put our first round pick behind this line with that much duress? I sure don't. You would have a very difficult time changing my mind after seeing those numbers. We need to ride out the storm, and address this line as best as we can in the draft. Without making line changes, this team doesn't win with any quarterback.
    Last edited by MulletMullitia; 09-29-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    but we only allowed 4 sacks? We have a fantastic OL! I mean they pave the way for AP to get those mean rushing totals right?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Does that stat break down whether the QB's are under duress because the line isn't giving them time or because they are holding the ball too long?

In the case of McNabb there are plenty of plays that he had plenty of time to throw the ball. In fact, that stat certainly indicates that he didn't have pressure over 70% of the time and in that 70% he didn't do anything withe the ball either.

It is a nice attempt to at least grasp a floating turd to help keep you afloat on a sinking ship though.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    I just came across this stat from ESPN.

1. Michael Vick - 30.1%
    2. Donovan McNabb - 29.6%
    3. Jay Cutler - 27.2%
    4. Sam Bradford - 25.0%

NFL Average - 19.2%

Does this still look like it's all Donovan's fault?

Worst fucking passes when not under duress.

1. Donovan McNabb - 65.3%

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    Cutler has been sacked 14 times but still has 5 TD passes.
    Vick is a glorified RB who has 4 sacks and 4 TD;'s

McNabb has 2 TD's and 6 sacks.

Yeah, he is immensely productive compared to those other QB's. Heck, he can't even match Vick on TD/Sack ratio and he is terrible.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    No worries, our coach's are going to start working on McNabb's fundamentals. After 12 years he is going to learn the basics of being an NFL QB.

WWBGD

Blog Entries
    Should only take 5 years to learn that if he develops as fast as our last QB did

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    How do they define "under duress" (and wtf happened to pressure? Duress? Is there a gun to his head?)

McNabb has been sacked 8 times and hit an additional 10 in 3 games.
    If that's "duress" what is Cutler's 14 sacks and 20 additional hits?
    And how about Vick's 4 sacks and 19 additional hits?

So, what does ESPN consider being "under duress"? They keep track of QB hits(which is where I got the above stats) which is pretty cut and dry. Unfortunately they only keep track of them on a game-by-game basis, so I had to add them up myself. I referred back to NFL.com for the sack numbers to check my math(as it turns out, numbers changed, a couple of sacks in the box score on ESPN were not officially recorded as sacks by the NFL.)

McNabb has been hit half as frequently as the guys who sandwich him on this list. Half the number of hits leads me to assume that he's pressured half as frequently. And it's hard to judge with Vick, considering his ability to avoid hits and escape pressure(just compare the number of sacks to hits).

Vick has attempted 83 passes, compared to McNabb's 81. But Vick has nearly tripled McNabb's rushing attempts(24 to 9,) so some of his drop backs have turned into rushing attempts after pressure, which could also explain the sack number.

Speaking of sack numbers, McNabb has been sacked less than Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Mark Sanchez and Matt Ryan. He's been sacked as frequently as Cam Newton, Kolb and Orton. But they have the ability to complete passes downfield.

No matter the exact numbers, McNabb's pressure has been brought on by his own inability to extend a drive and our playcalling. Teams blitz us because they know we can't make them pay for it. Until McNabb shows he can, it's gonna keep on happening. I feel like I'm talking about Jackson right now, damn.

Could you post a link to the page where you found this stat? I want to see what else they have over there. There must be a difference between Vick, McNabb and Cutler... considering Cutler and Vick have thrown for more than a handful of yards and 2 TDs despite being pressured more heavily.
    Last edited by Mr Anderson; 09-29-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Rubbish. These stats are all fine and dandy, but uncoupled with amount of time holding the ball means absolutely nothing. Not an accurate assessment at all. Couple these stats with seconds from snap and maybe this might mean something but on it's own it's rubbish.

Besides that, I've seen plenty of plays with nobody around him and he throws it into the dirt killing another worm. Not only that, but if coaches feel the need for him to work on his mechanics as Shannahan did, than obviously it's a problem and needs to be addressed. But according to Donny there isn't a problem with his mechanics and he's going to keep on keeping on with his usual ways.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    No worries, our coach's are going to start working on McNabb's fundamentals. After 12 years he is going to learn the basics of being an NFL QB.
    Exactly, 13-3 here we come!
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast