Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And here we are

Del Rio Guest

And here we are

There isn’t much time to savor our sixth consecutive victory. We have the biggest game of our season next week. Two weeks ago I stated we will win out. This game is going to be the make or break of our team. I believe we will win because there is no other option. If we lose we can still make the playoffs, but the team needs the win to catapult them into serious mental contention.

In sports you need to beat the teams you are supposed to. Every once in a while you meet a team you are not supposed to beat. Those victories are what fuels a team and makes the previously mentioned victories even sweeter. It upgrades morale emotions and teamwork. In other words the Steelers game is huge….it is the season.

Now I can say whole heartedly that if we lost the rest of our games I for one would be very proud of our Vikings this year. That includes everyone Tice, Smoot, Ted Cottrell……the whole lot of them. They have worked hard. That talk doesn’t belong here now, but in being critical of people there comes a time where you have to let go and give credit where credit is due. It’s because of that, that I am not going to criticize any of our players from this point on. This is a good team, full of heart and hard work. I win with them and I lose with them.

Any way you slice it the Steelers game comes down to what all games come down to. Put pressure on the QB and don’t get beat deep. We could play conservative and stay in the game. This game needs to be a statement though. I know a win is a win….yada...Yada…yada. We go for the throat and instead of holding on till the life leaves we drag them down and twist that neck.

I would suggest the obvious:

Give safety help on Hines Ward.
    Commit to a two yard depth on pass rush.
    Contain the edges.
    Treat the TE like you did Shockey, hit him, hold him, make him your bitch.
    We need a big and I mean BIG game out of Cowart, fast reads, faster adjustments.

On offense the only thing that needs to be said is protection. We need the offensive line to get that swagger.

It’s Monday and I have Goosebumps……..lets get this thing rolling.

Hawgski is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: And here we are

Del,

I have always liked your posts. This goes down as probably the best of saying it the way it is. These are the feelings I had yesterday after the game was over. The Rams were a team we were supposed to beat. As the day went on and I saw the Bucs beat the Panthers, the Chiefs let one get away from them (that hurt bad!), and then the toilet bowl on Sunday night football (what a joke), I realized we NEED this win against the Steelers in a BIG way!!! Not just the win, but control of the game from start to finish!!!

This team has "matured" an awful lot the last six weeks! They have become a complete team. The offense needs to step it up on Sunday, if they do and the "D"/special teams keeps doing what they are doing....

THE STEELERS WILL GO DOWN!!!!

SKOL VIKES!!!

sig courtesy of PPE

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Who'da thunk that at 2-5, the Vikes would turn it around and win 6 straight and be in the middle of a playoff hunt (Certainly not me). They haven't done it in the flashy ways of the past, but they are the most complete team that I have seen from MN in a long time.

Yes, I agree in giving kudos to the whole organization for turning this thing around. Not with star players, but by playing a team game, eliminating mistakes and taking advantage of what the opponents give you. This is a whole new personality for the Vikes.

I agree that this week's game with the steelers is huge, as the 6 game winning streak really only contained one solid team (giants). Even so its still impressive winning 6 straight, but to get the mental attitude up another notch as Del says this game needs to be won (especially in the dome). I would trade a loss to Baltimore for a win over pitt and the bears, good thing we don't have to :wink:

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Great post man...all of your posts are good...but this one struck a nerve with me. I love this team, everything we as viking fans and vikings have endored this season has only made me LOVE this team more then I ever have. This game against Pitt is huge which is pretty obvious....and I know we'll be underdogs....Lose this game Win this game, I still love my vikes...and I know we can do it...this is a differnt team then what the public saw opening day.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

I agree, this game is HUGE for us.

Pittsburgh, even a struggling Pittsburgh, is an AFC power. They are also the team that just treated the Bears like unwanted step-sisters. Beating them would cement the Vikings as a bonified contender...much like we were slated to be at the begining of the season.

Caine

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

This is not a pipe dream but I believe the Vikings can beat any team in the NFL right now except for one thing...That is the sporatic offensive line play. This is the only thing that will break us down.
    We need good pass protection so Brad isn't rushed. Sunday against the rams he had so many receivers open he had choices galore. But he only had that kind of time about five or six plays. Otherwise he was shutdown to short passes. Look at the total completion yards. Half of what St. Lousi had.
    And our runing game was nothing to be real proud of either. Sure, we got over 100 yards rushing but that's nothing. Bennett has the speed even though his moves are not what they were last year it seems. Fason has some great moves. But neither will play good as long as that Offensive line suffers.
    I think everyone knows the problems but we just can't get them fixed with the personnel we have. Maybe this week something will click and we'll get it together in some form or fashion. Because if this offensive line wakes up the Vikes will be in the Super Bowl.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Del Rio Guest

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    This is not a pipe dream but I believe the Vikings can beat any team in the NFL right now except for one thing...That is the sporatic offensive line play. This is the only thing that will break us down.
    We need good pass protection so Brad isn't rushed. Sunday against the rams he had so many receivers open he had choices galore. But he only had that kind of time about five or six plays. Otherwise he was shutdown to short passes. Look at the total completion yards. Half of what St. Lousi had.
    And our runing game was nothing to be real proud of either. Sure, we got over 100 yards rushing but that's nothing. Bennett has the speed even though his moves are not what they were last year it seems. Fason has some great moves. But neither will play good as long as that Offensive line suffers.
    I think everyone knows the problems but we just can't get them fixed with the personnel we have. Maybe this week something will click and we'll get it together in some form or fashion. Because if this offensive line wakes up the Vikes will be in the Super Bowl.
    I can see that.
    The offensive line needs to not only get by they need to be the aggressor.

I think if they can get it together they could make a run deep into the playoffs and even the SB

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    There isn’t much time to savor our sixth consecutive victory. We have the biggest game of our season next week. Two weeks ago I stated we will win out. This game is going to be the make or break of our team. I believe we will win because there is no other option. If we lose we can still make the playoffs, but the team needs the win to catapult them into serious mental contention.

In sports you need to beat the teams you are supposed to. Every once in a while you meet a team you are not supposed to beat. Those victories are what fuels a team and makes the previously mentioned victories even sweeter. It upgrades morale emotions and teamwork. In other words the Steelers game is huge….it is the season.

Now I can say whole heartedly that if we lost the rest of our games I for one would be very proud of our Vikings this year. That includes everyone Tice, Smoot, Ted Cottrell……the whole lot of them. They have worked hard. That talk doesn’t belong here now, but in being critical of people there comes a time where you have to let go and give credit where credit is due. It’s because of that, that I am not going to criticize any of our players from this point on. This is a good team, full of heart and hard work. I win with them and I lose with them.

Any way you slice it the Steelers game comes down to what all games come down to. Put pressure on the QB and don’t get beat deep. We could play conservative and stay in the game. This game needs to be a statement though. I know a win is a win….yada...Yada…yada. We go for the throat and instead of holding on till the life leaves we drag them down and twist that neck.

I would suggest the obvious:

Give safety help on Hines Ward.
    Commit to a two yard depth on pass rush.
    Contain the edges.
    Treat the TE like you did Shockey, hit him, hold him, make him your beeyatch.
    We need a big and I mean BIG game out of Cowart, fast reads, faster adjustments.

On offense the only thing that needs to be said is protection. We need the offensive line to get that swagger.

It’s Monday and I have Goosebumps……..lets get this thing rolling.

A couple things to add Del, we have to hold their ground game to under 100 yards, tough thing to do. The Steeler's ran over Chicago, they rushed 46 times for 190 yards and controlled the clock.

We need to get an early lead of 14 points or more, if we can get them out of the running game and make them go to the air I think we will have a good chance of winning this game. Our offense needs to be more consistent, and not have as many 3 and outs as we did this week. We gave the Rams a short field on way to many drives, and if we do that next week it will cost us.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

I don't think we NEED an early lead. In fact as a fan I am a bit concerned of getting ahead.

As dumb as that may sound if we get ahead the coaches will go conservative. I would love to be 10 points ahead 1 point or yeah 14, but we definately don't NEED it.

The rushing thing I can see in a way. It's hard because 100 yards really can come in many ways. The biggest thing here is trying to keep them in third and long. We don't want 3rd and 3's if we can hold them to low 3rd down conversions that would be a victory in and of itself.

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

I agree with your strategy Del.But if there is one thing I,m not happy with on our Defense it is the pass rush.We need to bring more heat!!
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast