Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Henderson starts long road back

Marrdro wrote:
    Flidais wrote:
    This is meant to be read with no hostility intended (I'm feeling hostile to my coworkers at the moment and I don't want it to leak into the question):

But would you guys be so quick to retire EJ if it had been his arm that he had broken versus his leg?

It was a horrible, gruesome injury to watch, to be sure, but based on quite a few things, like him rehabbing this early and expecting to be working out in May, as well as Erin mentioning that just days after the game he was bending his knee without much trouble, I really do think that this is just a broken bone. And the man is only 29 years old.

If it were a knee injury, I would agree that he's questionable at best, but I really do think he got lucky here with a broken bone and that changes quite a bit about his prognosis.
    It has nothing to do with us, but rather, everything to do with his recovery.

And if I was in charge and he didn't/wasn't gonna be back 100%, I'd have a plan b in place so that I could cut ties and move on with making sure the team stays solid at that position.
    Having no depth at MLB is insanity. The QB of the defense is crucial for success in the NFL.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Flidais wrote:
    This is meant to be read with no hostility intended (I'm feeling hostile to my coworkers at the moment and I don't want it to leak into the question):

But would you guys be so quick to retire EJ if it had been his arm that he had broken versus his leg?

It was a horrible, gruesome injury to watch, to be sure, but based on quite a few things, like him rehabbing this early and expecting to be working out in May, as well as Erin mentioning that just days after the game he was bending his knee without much trouble, I really do think that this is just a broken bone. And the man is only 29 years old.

If it were a knee injury, I would agree that he's questionable at best, but I really do think he got lucky here with a broken bone and that changes quite a bit about his prognosis.

And if I was in charge and he didn't/wasn't gonna be back 100%, I'd have a plan b in place so that I could cut ties and move on with making sure the team stays solid at that position.
    Having no depth at MLB is insanity. The QB of the defense is crucial for success in the NFL.
    Agree. Right now we seem to be a bit insane in that regard.

I am 99.9% convinced we will see Jasper as that QB with a cheap solution (2nd tier FA vet) backing him up this year as a solution to put a bit of sanity back into that position.

Again, I am skeptical that EJ will be back this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Flidais is offline Rookie

Marrdro wrote:
    Flidais wrote:

Just to get it out of the way

Point 1:
    I completely agree that if EJ wouldn't be back 100%, this would be a different situation.

Point 2:
    I also agree we need depth at the position, but I feel that's a different issue from his recovery. Even if he is back at 100%, we still need to address the depth. I think Jasper did as well as anyone could reasonably expect of him as EJ's replacement, but the depth still needs to be improved.

But that's not what I'm asking.

I'm saying, that as a veteran of more than my fair share of sports injuries, I'm not seeing any indication whatsoever that his injury consists of more than a broken bone. The things that complicate a broken femur is involvement of the hip, the knee, or osteoporosis.

I think we can all agree that the injury was low enough on his femur that hip injury is unlikely. I think we can also agree that, since we are talking about a 29 year old male, osteoporosis is also something we don't really need to worry about. So all we are really looking at is a knee injury complicating the situation and, unless I'm missing something, I think the man got off without any injury to the knee.

So, at the end of the day, it's a broken bone that many seem to feel won't heal in the next 6 months.

Would so many be putting EJ out to pasture if the broken bone in question was his humerus (upper arm bone) instead of his femur?

Flidais wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Flidais wrote:

Just to get it out of the way

Point 1:
    I completely agree that if EJ wouldn't be back 100%, this would be a different situation.

Point 2:
    I also agree we need depth at the position, but I feel that's a different issue from his recovery. Even if he is back at 100%, we still need to address the depth. I think Jasper did as well as anyone could reasonably expect of him as EJ's replacement, but the depth still needs to be improved.

But that's not what I'm asking.

I'm saying, that as a veteran of more than my fair share of sports injuries, I'm not seeing any indication whatsoever that his injury consists of more than a broken bone. The things that complicate a broken femur is involvement of the hip, the knee, or osteoporosis.

I think we can all agree that the injury was low enough on his femur that hip injury is unlikely. I think we can also agree that, since we are talking about a 29 year old male, osteoporosis is also something we don't really need to worry about. So all we are really looking at is a knee injury complicating the situation and, unless I'm missing something, I think the man got off without any injury to the knee.

So, at the end of the day, it's a broken bone that many seem to feel won't heal in the next 6 months.

Would so many be putting EJ out to pasture if the broken bone in question was his humerus (upper arm bone) instead of his femur?
    Sounds like you have more knowledge in the way of meds and healing that I so there is no way I can discuss it any deeper than you just articulated.

Problem for me is that it doesn't sound like it is as cut and dry as 6 months from what I've read on it so far.

If in fact we are talking 100% at 6 months as you contend, they heck, no worries. Foster took a bit longer for that with the same type of injury.

We don't know the true extent of Henderson's injury or his long-term prognosis.
    Foster immediately flashed back to March 19, 2008, when he broke his left femur after crashing into the boards during a game. Like Henderson, Foster had surgery right away and began a long rehabilitation that took 11 months
    Foster understands Henderson's long road to recovery

On a side note, been taking notice of your quality posts my friend. Keep it up.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Sajid28 is offline Coordinator

Jasper played ok this year, and im worried about EJ cuz even when he was healthy, he wasnt playing like he did from years before. I know he has the smarts to play the position, but does he have the physical ability to play at a very high level especially with all the injuries. maybe this is something we adress through free agency, the problem with that is all the good ones are RFAs

Flidais is offline Rookie

Marrdro wrote:
    Sounds like you have more knowledge in the way of meds and healing that I so there is no way I can discuss it any deeper than you just articulated.

Problem for me is that it doesn't sound like it is as cut and dry as 6 months from what I've read on it so far.

If in fact we are talking 100% at 6 months as you contend, they heck, no worries. Foster took a bit longer for that with the same type of injury.

We don't know the true extent of Henderson's injury or his long-term prognosis.
    Foster immediately flashed back to March 19, 2008, when he broke his left femur after crashing into the boards during a game. Like Henderson, Foster had surgery right away and began a long rehabilitation that took 11 months
    Foster understands Henderson's long road to recovery

On a side note, been taking notice of your quality posts my friend. Keep it up.
    Heh, I'm glad you like my posts because I swear I'm not trying to be an ass.

I like EJ. I loved that even with a broken leg that must have been hell to move around with, he still came to practice and did the best he could by watching film with Jasper. That's team leadership and since I don't think this is a severe injury, I hate the idea of people jumping ship on him already. The perception of an injury can sometimes be worse than the actual injury itself for an athlete's career. I fear the worry he can't come back will cause hasty decisions and I want him on this team for a long time to come.

The news that he has been so... obsessive about his training worries me. It makes me wonder if he feels he has job security.

I saw the blog you posted at the time, but it left out some critical information from the full article:

Vikings coach Brad Childress said Henderson already was working on bending his knee, which Foster said is far more than he could do immediately after his surgery. Childress also said there is no ligament damage in Henderson's knee.

Foster, who had a rod inserted in his leg, said building strength in his leg was a long, slow process.

"Because you're four to five months of pretty much [doing] nothing, all the muscle in your leg pretty much turns to mush," he said. "It's like starting over again. Then it's another three, four, five months of gaining all that strength back.
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/78819657.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4OW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsZ

Damned if I can find it now, but I believe that EJ was cleared to start putting weight on his leg around the ProBowl (more or less two months after the injury), which again, puts it in a different category than Foster's injury because it's not the same four to five months of muscle-mushing inactivity that he went through.

Flidais wrote:

Heh, I'm glad you like my posts because I swear I'm not trying to be an ass.
    You can be an ass and I will still discuss football with you. Its what I come here for.

I hate the idea of people jumping ship on him already.
    I'm not jumping ship, just looking at options if (Big If) he isn't ready.

Again, its all about the discussion with me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12