Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    smoke54 is offline Waterboy

Hello! Couple questions if you can please help!

Hello all-

I am really new to all of this and I just have a couple questions. I am currently scheduled at Minot AFB, ND and want to hit up a Vikings game before I have to go overseas. My wife and I are looking at the Dolphins game to go for my birthday present. We have been looking at stubhub already for tickets so the first question is what are some good seats I should try to look for? While we want to go we do not want to break the bank for going and how are those people selling tickets when they don't know their seats yet?..Also where are some good places to stay? I don't know if we should stay downtown or near the MOA? What are some transportation options? And how is the atmosphere? The last game I went to was back in 2004 and I don't remember much from that game...Thanks for all the help!
    None

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Hello! Couple questions if you can please help!

Welcome to the site my newest purple and gold friend.

I guess were you stay is kind of dependant on two things.....Convenience vs. Cost.

If you want to be within walking distance of the Dome, I recommend you stay at the Best Western Normandy Inn.

405 8th Street South
    Minneapolis, MN 55404-1026
    (612) 370-1400

A bit pricey, but you can walk to the game, and then after the game, hang out, suck a few more beers down at the PPO tailgate, talk about what just happened and then walk back to your hotel.

If you don't mind standing in line and waiting a bit for a opening on the light rail, there are several cheaper hotels out by the MOA that are pretty good as well.

As to seats. First I would see what our PPO members might have available. I know Singersp usually has some pretty good ones, if not, I get mine from the link below. Never had a problem with them yet.

Tickets

Make sure you don't get one of the "Blocked/Limited View" seats. Other than that little issue, there isn't a bad seat in the house.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks for serving the country and make it to the game before you leave! Be sure to stop by the pp.o tailgate if you go to the game.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Well anywhere downtown is a reasonable walk to the Dome, besides gives you a good excuse for a beer once you get there! Having said that if you stay near the MOA then the light railway will get you to the Dome with no problem and is cheap as well.

I've used All Season Tours for my previous visits and never been disappointed - good seats ( anything between row 5 and row 14 sect 125 ) and also two hotels to choose from - course depends on the finances but I've never had cause to complain.

Other than that see what PPO members here have on offer or they may even be able to put you onto genuine sellers as well - rather than chancing your luck online. There are always ticket touts on the way to the Dome but I've never used them so can't vouch for price/validity of the tickets.

Some of the local fans can better advise on hotels but as said don't forget to stop by the PPO tailgate prior to the game - you'll get a good welcome there.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The great thing about the dome is there aren't really any bad seats. Its all dependent on preference.

I've sat in the endzone in row 6, and I've sat in the second level, row 14 around the 30 yard line, and personally, I like the 2nd level best. You get a higher up view, but you can still see everything very well. Endzone seats are tough when the action is at the other end of the field.

Also, Might not apply since you said you don't want to break the bank, but I also wouldn't go first few rows on the sidelines. You have to look past all the stuff on the sidelines, and you don't get a great birds eye view.

But, in the end, it doesn't matter where you sit. Guaranteed you WILL have an awesome time.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Valkommen and SKOL!

First off, since the Dolphins game is the Home Opener, it will be one of the tougher tickets to get this season (I'd rate it as 3rd most desirable, after the Packers and Bears games - maybe 4th, after the Cowboys). If you have any flexibility, it will be easier and cheaper to get tickets to the Week 3 game vs. the Lions.

That said - I'm a big believer in the upper-deck seating. You can see the whole field from anywhere and the tickets are significantly cheaper. I'm in Section 215, Row 8 and my tickets are $52/each. A couple rows down and you hit higher prices. One section to my right (Section 214) and the price jumps (for my row) to $68/seat.

Here's the Dome map - note that the prices shown there are for season tickets ONLY. The prices for single-game tickets will be slightly higher (~$5/ticket).

http://www.vikings.com/stadium/stadium-map.html

I would also recommend that you buy directly from the Vikings, but that's just a personal preference. There are plenty of folks who buy from eBay and save money that way. That's just not my thing. Single-game tickets have not yet been put on sale by the Vikings, so anything you're buying now from Stub-Hub or another re-seller is coming from a season-ticket account.

I have no advice on hotels, but there are some good recommendations above.

When I go to the games, I drive up from the south suburbs and park on the street (Portland Avenue) about 4 blocks from the Dome. It costs me $8 in quarters and is the best parking value I've found. Much better than a surface lot or a parking garage.

And, as noted, make sure you stop by the PPO tailgate! All are welcome and you will be treated as an old friend. Details for that shindig will be posted as we get close to the occasion.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

smoke54 wrote:
    Hello all-

I am really new to all of this and I just have a couple questions. I am currently scheduled at Minot AFB, ND and want to hit up a Vikings game before I have to go overseas. My wife and I are looking at the Dolphins game to go for my birthday present. We have been looking at stubhub already for tickets so the first question is what are some good seats I should try to look for? While we want to go we do not want to break the bank for going and how are those people selling tickets when they don't know their seats yet?..Also where are some good places to stay? I don't know if we should stay downtown or near the MOA? What are some transportation options? And how is the atmosphere? The last game I went to was back in 2004 and I don't remember much from that game...Thanks for all the help!
    First of all Skol and welcome from a former AF member! Thank you for your service!

As far as the tickets, there are no bad seats in the dome. I tend to agree with Z in that upper level seats give you the best bang for your buck. Lower level are a little nicer, but whether or not they are worth the extra $$$ is debatable (I have lower level season tickets, and I honestly liked the upper level seats better for the view).

My personal recomendation for tickets - Give the ticket office a call and explain your situation to them. Tell them that exactly what you told us - that you are active duty and stationed at Minot, and you want to secure tickets to the home opener because you are deploying overseas and want to make sure you can get to a game before shipping out. Tickets themselves don't go on sale until mid summer, but the ticket office can work some magic if you get the right person. The benefit is you will be able to get decent seats at face value. Go for upper level corner endzone for the best value IMHO.

If the ticket office doesn't pan out, you can watch stubhub and ebay. I wouldn't buy unless you can get them for significantly under face value, or they are seats that you REALLY want. Remember that you take some rick with resellers. I think they are decent for the most part, but every once in a while some a$$hole tries to screw people there. If you plan on buying them directly from the Vikings, the tickets will go on sale to the general public in mid July - keep watching PP.O, we are sure to have the date posted as soon as it is available.

As far as hotels, staying downtown is very convenient, and you can usually find a decent price. If you want to do anything else while you are here, like hitting up the MOA, staying down at the Mall and catching the light rail in is quick and easy. On the way out, however, the light rail is very full, so expect to take twice as long to get back to the hotel as it took to get to it.

Finally, make sure you stop by the PP.O tailgate! We usually have several spots in Purple Lot 1, and it is a great way to get pumped up for the game. I will personally buy you a beer.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

smoke54 is offline Waterboy

Thank you for all the info. I will make sure to contact them tommorrow after I get off of work. How dependable is the light rail on gamedays and how far away is the station from the Metrodome? Thank you!
    None

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

smoke54 wrote:
    Thank you for all the info. I will make sure to contact them tommorrow after I get off of work. How dependable is the light rail on gamedays and how far away is the station from the Metrodome? Thank you!
    Based on how I've seen the trains running, they seem very dependable. As Nodak pointed out, the lines AFTER the game will be very very long.

The station where you'll get off is at the Metrodome. Literally.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I think everything in this topic has already been covered. If you are looking for help, you for sure came to the right place.

From my experience (I am from Canada, so long ways for me too), stay as close to the dome as possible. Walking distance to the Dome is so key. If not, stay right on the Metro as it literally stops right at the dome, airport, and Mall. Be sure to join the gang for the tailgating.

Ticket wise, you can find pretty good seats for for reasonable prices. We did the VIP tent and scored a pretty good deal for everything in the package. It is a little expensive, but so worth it. Where to sit, I would suggest any where second deck or lower. As already said, as long as you don't have a obstructed view seat, there is not a bad one in the house.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast