Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Heavier, humbled Smoot still loud, still proud

"2beersTommy" wrote:
    Me thinks he needs to concentrate more on staying healthy & playing better..and STFU..
    I don't want him to STFU. I love it when he talks smack... as long as he backs it up. And without a brain dead defensive coordinator killing his game, he will be able to.

Smoooooooooot!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "2beersTommy" wrote:
    Me thinks he needs to concentrate more on staying healthy & playing better..and STFU..
    I don't want him to STFU. I love it when he talks smack... as long as he backs it up. And without a brain dead defensive coordinator killing his game, he will be able to.

Smoooooooooot!
    IF.. he can back it up..unlike last year

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

If he can regain the form he had in Washington, that spells bad news for opposing WR's

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Hopefully he thinks that he really has something to prove to his owner, coaches, teammates, and us the fans.. If he honestly thinks that, then he will have one hell of a year..

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Last year was so very dissappointing, but I don't think that he'll let it happen again. It sounds like he has been working very hard in the offseason which is a good sign.

I like that he talks a lot, I hope this year he backs that talk up though.

I am not too worried about Smoot!! If he is adding muscle then he won't be so soft against receivers, as he was against Smith!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

It ain't cocky . . . if you can back it up.

John Randle could and did back it up.

Smoot . . . so far . . . is all mouth.

Show us the money . . . Smoot-Mouth!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
    Last year was so very dissappointing, but I don't think that he'll let it happen again. It sounds like he has been working very hard in the offseason which is a good sign.

I like that he talks a lot, I hope this year he backs that talk up though.
    I don't know if his whole year was a disappointment, but the Carolina game sure was.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Just as long as he doesn't lose a step with that added weight...we need a solid cover corner...we already got one who can tackle!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=18px]Vikings: Fred Smoot welcoming a new season[/size]

Cornerback Fred Smoot, with a miserable 2005 campaign on and off the field behind him, has a fresh outlook and a new appearance as he prepares for his second season with the Vikings.

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: May 15, 2006 – 10:59 PM

As the injuries, off-the-field problems and clashes with the coach mounted last season, Fred Smoot couldn't help but wonder if he had made the right move. The six-year, $34 million free-agent contract the Vikings had given him to leave Washington was great, but the turmoil Smoot seemed to find at every turn was another story.

"You're like, 'I had the perfect thing going in Washington,' " Smoot said after the Vikings ended a three-day minicamp Monday. "But once you make a decision, you live with it. You tough it out. I've been in tough spots before. ... You judge a man by how you dig yourself out of that hole, and I'm going to dig myself up out of that hole and keep on going."

The veteran had plenty of digging to do after what transpired in 2005.

The first omen that Smoot was in for a trying season came on the opening day of training camp, when he was placed on the physically unable to perform list because of a strained neck. Two days after returning, he suffered a bruised right knee.

Then things really turned ugly.

His alleged involvement in the Vikings' Love Boat cruise in October was followed by Carolina receiver Steve Smith having a career day against the cornerback. A week later, Smoot suffered a partially fractured right collarbone that kept him out for four games. He never was able to win back his starting job. In the regular-season finale, Smoot was held out for disciplinary reasons.

It almost seemed like a fitting finish.

For Smoot, it was the end of what he considers "the old Vikings." That was Mike Tice's team. The many changes around Winter Park, including the hiring of Brad Childress as coach, have given Smoot a new outlook. The fast-talking cornerback, who often seemed sullen and had little to say to the media by the end of the season, has returned to his old self. At least when it comes to demeanor.

Physically, Smoot is noticeably bigger. In an attempt to get stronger and avoid injury, Smoot has spent the offseason lifting weights; he said he has added about 15 pounds to his 5-11 frame and is now around 200 pounds.

"It will help me with the stamina, it will help me to last 16 games, it will help me to bang," said Smoot, who also has switched jersey numbers from 27 to 21. "It's just going to help me [prolong] my career."

Said Childress: "You always worry when somebody puts on weight that they can run, but he still looks like he can run."

They seem an odd match for player and coach. Childress is no-nonsense; Smoot loves to trash talk. Smoot, though, has nothing but praise for his new boss.

"That's how a coach should be," said Smoot, who spent his first four seasons with Washington. "I like a straight-forward [approach]. ... From the first person on the roster to the last person, we're all treated the same around here. I think that does so much for your team morale. It wasn't like that [last year]."

Smoot's shot at Tice is a reflection of them being at odds much of last season.

"Me and Tice never got along," he said. "You never heard me speak up on his behalf because we weren't on that level, and I just really chose not to say anything about it. I didn't want to be the messy teammate. We didn't see eye-to-eye, put it like that."

While Smoot has a clean start on the field, not all of his problems from 2005 have been resolved. He and left tackle Bryant McKinnie await trial for multiple misdemeanors from the boat incident. Smoot's lawyer, David Valentini, has requested the charges be dismissed but, if that doesn't happen, his trial is scheduled to begin May 30. "I'm going to follow through with that," Smoot said. "I'm good on that. I'm not even really worried about it. I've got a great lawyer, I'm waiting for it to happen and what happens, happens."

Smoot, though, knows people have questions about him, and he wants to answer those. He said he plans to begin doing more work in the community. "I'm a good person. I'm a genuine person."

Fred Smoot welcoming a new season

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast