Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Heat Doesn't Slow Vikings (Videos)

Click the following link for the videos & the full article;

Heat Doesn't Slow Vikings On First Day Of Camp

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Heat Doesn't Slow Vikings On First Day Of Camp

"I forgot to take it off this morning," Greenway said of his ring. "Well, I haven't asked her if it's OK to take it off."

he's learned quickly, lol.

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

They look good in the videos on that page too! I hope they watch the heat, we don't need another Stringer incident.
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Nice to see Chad has a sense of humor, also nice to see him be first on the field, sounds like he's ready to get to work and prove himself...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

"FedjeViking" wrote:
    They look good in the videos on that page too! I hope they watch the heat, we don't need another Stringer incident.
    Seems I'm not the only one worried about the heat...

Five Years Later
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

"FedjeViking" wrote:
    "FedjeViking" wrote:

Five Years Later
    Seems like it's already posted! :grin:

Five Years Later: Korey Stringer

Korey gets a thread of his own. Always! :wink:

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"FedjeViking" wrote:
    "FedjeViking" wrote:

Five Years Later
    I'm sure the Coaches and Staff take the heat and training conditions the players are in, very seriously these days. Not saying they haven't in the past. True it's a very sad story what happened to Korey, but hopefully they learned some things from that terrible incident, so that it doesn't happen again.

When I was in training for the USMC, we regularly trained in 90 plus degree weather ( Paris Island) and I got to see first hand, many fellow trainees fall out with heat strokes and I believe I remember hearing about at least 3 cases of heat induced Comas.....

Even today, my trade of Concrete Construction, I work in the heat in wide open areas with the sun beating on us all day. All you can do is try to drink plenty of water and cool down in the shade when you get the chance....

It's tuff for sure, but their are many of us who have to deal with the heat and humidity on a daily basis.....It sucks for sure....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Re: Heat Doesn't Slow Vikings (Videos)

[size=18px]Team gets an early handle on the heat[/size]

Coping with dangerously hot weather was in the works even before Vikings check-in day in Mankato.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: July 31, 2006 – 12:32 AM

MANKATO - Sunshine glared off Darren Sharper's bald head as he stepped out of his truck Sunday afternoon. Sharper's distinctive new style was entirely purposeful.
    "When I saw that it was going to be 100 degrees here," the Vikings safety said, "I thought I would shave off [my hair] and maybe it would cool me off a little bit."

As they reported for training camp at Minnesota State Mankato, veteran Vikings players were single-minded in preparing for the region's dangerous weather conditions. Style and appearance mattered little as they hauled gallons of water, Gatorade and other coping aids into their dorm rooms at Gage Center.

Temperatures are forecast to approach 100 degrees today. On Tuesday, the fifth anniversary of Vikings lineman Korey Stringer's heatstroke-related death, Vikings players will don full pads amid temperatures hovering near 90 degrees.

"It is really, really hot right now," receiver Marcus Robinson said. "I've been doing this for 10 years, and you can expect camp to be hot, but [in these temperatures] you've got to go out there and push yourself regardless. For us, it's kind of like a challenge. It's hot. Push your body, get yourself in shape. That's how we look at it."

Coach Brad Childress has scheduled an early-morning conditioning test today for all players. He was not specific, but the test is believed to consist of 16 "half-gassers" -- sprints from the goal line to the 50-yard line and back. During a minicamp version of the drill, players were encouraged to complete each sprint in 20 seconds.

Afterward, players will spend the day in meetings and then take part in a light, 85-minute practice scheduled to start at 3:30 p.m.

Childress said the team has been preparing for potentially oppressive heat since this spring, beginning with a lecture from trainer Eric Sugarman on acclimating to outdoor exertion during pre-camp workouts.

In addition, Childress said the Vikings have put the following safeguards in place:

• Sugarman will continue use of a device that helps monitor a player's internal body temperature during practice. Players swallow a "pill" that remains in their bodies for 24 to 36 hours, transmitting data to a remote sensor operated by the team's trainers.

The Vikings experimented with the device last summer in training camp.

• An inflatable ice tub, capable of holding some 20 players, has been installed along the sideline of one practice field. "If you had to cool somebody down in a hurry," Childress said, "you could do that."

During the first three days of camp, nearly all rookies and selected veterans used the tub after practice.

• For the first time, the team installed refrigerators in each dorm room, pre-packed with water and Gatorade.

• Each morning, players will submit to a urine test that measures their hydration levels.

"We really think we're on the pulse of that," Childress said. "We're mindful of [the heat], and we feel like we've got some checks and balances in place."

Childress and Sugarman gave players detailed instructions on preparing for similar conditions near the end of the Vikings' offseason program. The plan called for players to exercise outside, one hour per day, for the two weeks heading into training camp.

Today's conditioning test, Childress said, will determine who followed that guideline.

"It gives you a pretty good barometer of exactly where you are in that area," Childress said, "and who needs work and who doesn't."

Running back Chester Taylor, whose conditioning was suspect earlier this offseason, said he has been working out in Houston. Taylor also has four years' experience with training camps in the notoriously muggy Baltimore area when he played for the Ravens.

"[But] it's much hotter here than when I was in Baltimore," Taylor said. "I'll just have to keep myself hydrated, and I'll be all right."

Staff Writer Judd Zulgad contributed to this report

Team gets an early handle on the heat

Posted on Sun, Jul. 30, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings bracing for heat[/size]

JON KRAWCZYNSKI
    Associated Press

MANKATO, Minn. - Travis Taylor is a native of Florida, so he knows all about warm weather.

But even he was complaining on Sunday when he arrived in Mankato for Vikings training camp on a stifling day. Temperatures soared into the upper 90s on Sunday and forecasts estimated they could top 100 when the full squad holds its first practice on Monday afternoon.

"I thought this was supposed to be Minnesota?" Taylor said of the state's icy reputation.

Coach Brad Childress said he isn't taking the forecasts lightly.

"Heat is probably the story today," Childress said. "You have to be mindful of the heat."

The issue has special significance here. Five years ago, Vikings tackle Korey Stringer died after collapsing from heat exhaustion in training camp.

Vikings trainer Eric Sugarman, who followed Childress to Minnesota from Philadelphia, will give some players a pill that helps monitor their core temperature. The Vikings will also test players' urine to get an indication of who is susceptible to dehydration and have put refrigerators in each dorm room stocked with Gatorade and water.

"We really feel like we're on the pulse of that," Childress said. "... We're mindful of that and we feel like we've got some checks and balances in place and the coaches are mindful of it as well."

Pro Bowler Darren Sharper arrived at camp with a freshly shaven head, a new look for the image-conscious safety.

"Actually I'm just getting old," Sharper joked. "When I saw that it was going to be 100 degrees here, I thought I'd shave it off and it would maybe cool me off a little bit."

KICKING COMPANY?Childress said he considered adding another kicker to take some of the training camp load off of new acquisition Ryan Longwell, but decided against it.

"We talked about that, but you do that at the risk of being low on another position, and Ryan isn't particularly fond of that theory," Childress said. "It's not like (the coaches) are going to kick him out. He knows when enough is enough."

Special teams coordinator Paul Ferraro will keep a close eye on Longwell to make sure he doesn't put too much strain on his kicking leg in camp. And Longwell said he is comfortable carrying the load himself.

"If they don't I'm fine," Longwell said. "I haven't had one for the last four or five years so I'm very comfortable with monitoring kicks and coach Ferraro and I have talked extensively about it and how we want to approach that."

RECEIVER GLUT: Much has been made about the Vikings bringing 12 receivers into camp. So much, in fact, that it got a little rise out of Childress when the subject was broached again on Sunday.

"Excuse me? Do you know how many wide receivers there are in each NFL camp on average?" Childress said, not grilling the reporter but sounding a little annoyed. "I've heard that question a great deal. Do you guys have any idea? As if 12 is a high number?"

He went on to say that the Eagles have had as many as 14 receivers in camp on occasion and that carrying 12 really isn't out of the ordinary.

"I'd say 12 is a moderate number," he said. "It allows some competitiveness, and it allows some freshness as well. The same guys aren't taking reps every time. They couldn't make it through the whole training camp."

Veteran receiver Marcus Robinson, however, thought that 12 was just a little too many.

"I don't know what that's all about," Robinson said. "Normally at camp you have 10 anyway. I don't know. I have no idea. We've got a lot of them though."

PITCH COUNT: Entering his 15th NFL training camp, quarterback Brad Johnson said it will be important to make sure that he doesn't put too much strain on his arm before the season starts.

Johnson turns 38 in September, and the coaches will monitor his reps in an effort to keep him fresh and ready to endure a rigorous 16-game schedule.

"We kind of have a pitch count on Brad Johnson," Childress said. "We always did that to make sure we know how many throws are getting out a day to see where he is from that standpoint."

Johnson knows it's something to keep an eye on. His right arm has unleashed 4,022 passes during games in his long career, and that's not even counting the thousands upon thousands he's thrown in practice.

"I think you've got to be very careful with the throws that you throw and when you are throwing them, not to have wasted reps," Johnson said. "I feel like I've learned pretty well over the years."

Jon Krawczynski can be reached at [email protected]

Vikings bracing for heat

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

I like the atricle on Brad...he seems very proffesional...fan friendly...and maybe he doesnt care about his contract...well WIlf will prolly give him the raise..but maybe he just wants to play and have his agent work it out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast