Krumb is offline Pro-Bowler

Is having linebacker friendly coaches a concern?

I don't know if I'm nitpicking I probably am, but it's the offseason so thoughts like this creep into my mind.

With our new defensive coordinator coming from the linebacker coach title, and Singletary's coaching strength being I would assume linebacker friendly. Are they going to be able to make the adjustments needed to make a positive change in the two levels that need the most offseason improvement in my opinion (the line and the secondary)

I'm not saying abandon ship , I love Singletary in Purple, just a thought.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Is having linebacker friendly coaches a concern?

I'm of the opinion that Singletary loves football, coaching, scheming, crushing running backs, leadership, mentoring, parenting, worshipping, locker rooms, stadiums, fans, uniforms, John Facenda, Vince Lombardi, George Halas, Bud Grant...and, all things football.

Not sure how good he is as a coach, I think that remains to be seen. But, pretty sure he did not like the limelight of being a head coach. The press, demands on time outside of football, and, a less than optimal QB situation did him in.

This is a good move IMO, every HC needs a "go to" confidant...hell, it's Management 101, business or football.

Welcome to the fold Coach Singletary...you were one helluva player and opponent.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I don't see Singletary as a great X's and O's type of guy, but he's a good motivator and leader. I think it's a great fit as a LB coach. He knows the position better than most, he'll be able to help us play better, and as an Assistant HC, the motivational and leadership qualities will be an asset. I view him as a better version of Mike Tice. Not HC material, but a great guy to have on a team, and definitely Assistant HC material.

I always kind of thought coordinator's we're the assistant head coaches, is there a different job description for what Singletary will be doing?

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Krumb" #1087925
    I always kind of thought coordinator's we're the assistant head coaches, is there a different job description for what Singletary will be doing?
    I guess everyone besides the head coach is technically an assistant coach, no?

But the assistant head coach tag is basically a way to pay him more than a normal LB coach. I don't know if it will actually add any responsibility.

Fair enough, well I am glad to have him on board. And I hope to see a difference.