NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Have you contacted the legislature about the new stadium lately?

On Tuesday, February 12, 2008, the Minnesota Legislature will reconvene.
    Now is the time to start contacting them about your feelings for a new stadium.

Worried that the Vikings may move?
    Write your representative.
    Think that the Metrodome no longer serves the needs of the Vikings and the State?
    Worried about the continual increase of building cost for a new stadium?

You can take action in a number of ways.
    For instance, you can join Minnesota Momentum, which is a coalition dedicated to getting a new stadium in Minnesota.
    They also provide you with a convenient link that will help you identify your state and US representatives from your address.
    https://www.minnesotamomentum.com/takeaction.csp

And all you out of staters, don't just sit on your butts either.
    I routinely write to different members of the state legislature asking them for their stance on the issue.
    Here is a copy of the letter I am sending out today to two of the representatives from the Minneapolis area:
    Good morning Ms. Higgins and Mr. Dominquez,

I am writing to you to inquire about your stance on a new stadium for the Minnesota Vikings.
    As an out of state fan, I realize that I have less of a say on the issue than my friends across the border.
    But I, like many out of state ticket holders, spend approximately $15,000
    per year of my out of state money in Minnesota on events directly related to the Minnesota Vikings.
    This includes tickets, gas, hotels, meals for my family of four, and usually some activity like the Mall of America or the Children’s Museum while we are in the cities.

With the tragedy of the 35W bridge collapse earlier this year, I agree that there are higher priorities than the Vikings stadium initiative, and I applaud your efforts to work to resolve those issues.
    But I also realize that the price of a stadium goes up every year due to building and fuel costs.
    Five years ago, a stadium could have been built for less than $500 million.
    The same stadium design today is likely to cost over $1 billion.
    If it is not going to be on the agenda for the upcoming legislative session, when do you predict that it will be?

Obviously neither the Vikings organization, the state of Minnesota, the city of Minneapolis, nor the fans want to see the Vikings lured to another state, like the Lakers or the North Stars.
    And I don’t believe that a move is even in consideration right now.
    Luckily we no longer have an owner who likes to use threats of a move to motivate the government.
    But I do believe that the Metrodome is no longer a viable option for the Vikings, and the longer the government waits to act, the larger the price tag is going to get.

I realize that Zygi Wilf and the Vikings have drawn up a very rough plan for a new stadium, but they do not have financing plans laid out yet.
    I wonder why the State of Minnesota and the City of Minneapolis are waiting for the Vikings to take the first step.
    Wouldn’t it be more beneficial for the State and City to develop a plan that allows for more value and less money for the local governments?
    If the Vikings propose a stadium plan, and it is rejected by the State legislature, the State comes out looking like the bad guy.
    But if the State comes up with a realistic plan first, the Vikings would be hard pressed not to agree to terms – terms that would favor the State and City.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to listen to an out of state fan like myself.
    I look forward to continuing to support my Minnesota Vikings for years to come, regardless of the stadium problems.
    Have a wonderful day, and a happy and safe holiday season.
    Don't just sit there guys and girls!
    Make sure your voice is heard!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Have you contacted the legislature about the new stadium lately?

I will write this weekend.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Here's my letter:

Dear Mr./Mrs. Good for nothing,

Do something.

Blog Entries

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Here's my letter:

Dear Mr./Mrs. Good for nothing,

Do something.
    Interesting approach - but probably won't get the desired response.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Will a letter do any good if you don't live in MN?

darkflood is offline Starter

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    I agree with this. I don't live in MN, and I don't know who to contact about this. I lived in Minny and I don't want my team to leave. What can I do?
    WELL, I LL ASK HIM, BUT I DON T THINK HE WILL BE VERY KEEN. UH, HE S ALREADY GOT ONE, YOU SEE.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Have you contacted the legislature about the new stadium lately?
    The time to talk to him is before you vote him in.

Why vote an anti-stadium legislature into office & then try & reason with him with a letter?You will get nothing! He won't change his mind.

Start voting people in who actually care about the Vikings & getting a new stadium. That is what you vote for them for. They are supposed to be voting in the same manner as you would vote.

If you vote an anti-stadium legislature into office, it's as good as you yourself just voting against a stadium.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

The next Minnesota Legislature will be in October of 2008. Now is the time to start find candidates that are pro-Vikes. Get to your favorite party caucus.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Blog Entries

"darkflood" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    I agree with this. I don't live in MN, and I don't know who to contact about this. I lived in Minny and I don't want my team to leave. What can I do?
    I don't live in Minnesota either.
    And I made it clear in my letter that I spend out of state money in their state every time I come see the Vikings.
    I have written to the representatives from Moorhead (neighboring city) as well as most of them in the Minneapolis area.

No, they really don't have to read out of state letters since we are not constituents, but every little bit helps.

As far as voting in pro-stadium legislators, this is also the time to let the current legislators know that the stadium is an issue for you.
    They have one legislative session before the next election, and the way they vote on any stadium bills is public record, and can be brought up again at election time...
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=