Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Has everyone forgotten

"CCthebest" wrote:
    Miami had the ball on the freaking goalline and fumbled. Did they fold up like the vikes do? No, they found a way (Jason Taylor) to win the game. When the Vikes loose everyone blames the penalties and turnovers. Its true, they will cause teams to loose, but the good teams in the NFL overcome them. Weaernt one of the good teams this year. We are just good at making excuses.
    cause we have NEVER gotten a turnover for a TD..

or we didn't win this year thanks to the D!! getting DTD's..

2 fluke plays.. the ball didn't bounce for us today.. can't every day.. how bout u tell me how our D did compared to their D.. and include for me please stats.. not just opionin..

"When the Vikes loose everyone blames the penalties and turnovers."

i see a lot more being blamed then that.. course i know how not to selective read.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

LMFAO! This thread is so funny!
    I am pissing my pants reading here at work!

When is somebody going to drop some Madden stats!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Acumen" wrote:
    "CCthebest" wrote:
    Miami had the ball on the freaking goalline and fumbled. Did they fold up like the vikes do? No, they found a way (Jason Taylor) to win the game. When the Vikes loose everyone blames the penalties and turnovers. Its true, they will cause teams to loose, but the good teams in the NFL overcome them. Weaernt one of the good teams this year. We are just good at making excuses.
    Here's a post of mine from another thread:

I'm still not a doom and gloomer.
    As the season wears on there are obvious problems, but none are beyond repair.
    The time-frame is still within a few years for pulling together a respectable team that plays with consistency.

Offense:

The first drive was sustained with a nice mix of passes and rushing resulting in a TD.
    The second drive was killed by a sack for -8 yds.
    The third drive was killed by an M. Johnson false start.
    The fourth drive was killed by a Whittle false start.
    The 5th drive was killed by a sack.
    The sixth drive resulted in a FG.
    The seventh drive was killed by yet another Williamson drop.
    The eighth drive resulted in a FG (INT, should have been run in for a TD).
    The ninth drive resulted in Jason Taylor stripping the ball out of C. Taylor's grasp.
    The tenth drive resulted in another fumble by C. Taylor.
    The eleventh drive was a three and out.
    The twelth drive was a Jason Taylor INT on a screen play.
    The thirteenth drive was sustained (too gol 'darnit much time) for a C. Taylor TD.

In summary:
    1: TD
    2: sack
    3. penalty
    4. penalty
    5. sack
    6. FG
    7. Drop (Williamson)
    8. FG (should have been TD)
    9. Fumble (good move by J. Taylor)
    10. Fumble (bad move by C. Taylor)
    11. Phins D shut 'em down
    12. INT
    13. TD

Correctable?
    Items 3,4,7,8,10,12.
    That is, if any of those events, all easily correctable, didn't happen the Vikings would have left with a W.

The Chicken Littles are permeating the site.
    I don't buy into it for a second.
    The Vikings were only OWNED one game this year, and that was by the Patriots.
    They are not far from righting their track.
    Will it happen this year?
    Odds are against that happening, but they will improve.
    There was some juggling around on the O-line tonight and T. Taylor appeared to pull his head out of his jiggly butt.
    Why T. Williamson isn't benched is beyond my understanding.
    The changes in the lineup will continue.

Anyone that thought/thinks the Vikings were going deep into the playoffs this year needs to lay off the magical mushrooms.
    On the same token, anyone that thinks the season is over is equally down the hallucinogenic path.
    This season has been and will continue to be a pendulum where the weaknesses and strenths of the future will be determined.
    Every game we learn more about the new-look Vikings and how the management deals with the situation.
    We will see what the team is made of during adverse times, I find it to be an extremely interesting time.
    I cannot think of one time I was extremely interested in the team for the long-term when Tice was leading the team.
    Some of you think the same about Childress, it is impossible to think more myopically than to judge Childress' success/failure halfway into his first season.

It's not a comprehensive look at all the details, just a synopsis looking at what went wrong.
    Most are correctable.
    If you think the team is in the tank, good for you.
    After looking at all the games this year the only one that scared me was the Patriots game.
    The rest were winnable.
    Yes, good teams win the close ones.
    No, we're not that far off from becoming a good team.
    I agree, this team is not nearly as far from the top as most people suspect. It may take a year or two, but I can see the potential.

Being the contrarian, I didn't think the Vikings were that bad yesterday! Yeah they lost, but I saw some positives.

The offensive scheme and play calling in general were more creative. Far more shifts,end around and fake end around plays, good running game, screens,under the linebacker slants, and going for it on 4th down. Remember, this game was ours if not for 4th quarter turnovers.

There was improved protection and less penalties after Marcus Johnson got the hook. I'm not a Rosie fan but he did a good job yesterday. I'm still not a Whittle fan and await the return of Hererra.

Frankly, Marcus Johnson needs to be moved back to guard. He does not have the skill to play tackle in the NFL. He is just too slow.

Williamson is another guy that has had more chances than he deserves.Unfortunately he seems to be another "missle".

On the other hand Bethel Johnson is showing potential to be,and in my opinion should be,the number one receiver.

Everyone is sick of watching teams spread out the defense and throwing underneath at will. It appeared they tightened up the coverage in the 4th quarter and played better.That's encouraging. Gordon seemed to play well.

Has Udeze shown up? A little pass rush from our ends would help the coverage problems.

And I question a scheme that relies on linebackers covering wide receivers anywhere on the field.

And since I have mixed in negatives with positives I will mention special teams again. Their coverage and blocking was better in the second half but still needs work.
    And I know this is nit picking but, Longwell doesn't have the leg for kickoffs or long field goals. That won't bite us now but could be a problem once we are a good team.

I'm encouraged that Childress is starting to take a look at some other players. That's what I hope he does a little more of in this rebuilding year.

So I haven't forgotten just how good this team could be. And I expect it will be in time.

“What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    LMFAO! This thread is so funny!
    I am pissing my pants reading here at work!

When is somebody going to drop some Madden stats!
    I was thinking that - thought it was just me having problems trying to follow it
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

maybe if our offense did better with the moore return and the int return instead of getting two feild goals

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"CCthebest" wrote:
    The obvious - and correct - answer is that two of the turnovers we gave up went for TD's IMMEDIATELY.
    They directly accounted for 14 points.
    We took ZERO of Miami's errors directly to the house, and only capitalized on one of them (The initial fumble).

So, YES, turnovers beat us.

Our Defense didn't fold - they gave up only 10 points.
    Our offense was productive...some what anyway.

But when TWO turnovers go directly to the opposite endzone, that's hard to make up for.
    The other one stayed on the field of play and our Defense squashed it (the 4th was BJ's fumble which we recovered).

Conversely, we were able to get 10 points off of their turnovers only by driving the field (for 7) and by kicking a FG (after being STUFFED at teh 3...grrrrrr).

So, again, it seems rather obvious to me that turnovers DID cost us the game.
    Had we managed to tackle either Hill or Taylor, we MIGHT have had a shot at winning.
    We didn't, so we lost.

Pretty simple.

Caine

"nflvikings4455" wrote:
    maybe if our offense did better with the moore return and the int return instead of getting two feild goals
    Championship teams are good because they may not have the best offense, but the capitalize on what the Defense and Special Teams hand them.

It's kind of a slap in the face to these guys when the O does not get it done.

Childress is supposed to have the most plays in the NFL yet we only run two of them.
    Run up the gut and four yard dump passes.
    We always look great on our first drive of the game, but that is normally our only score of the half. Once our opponents make the adjustments we don't know what to do.
    I often think our best chance of scoring is when our defense is out there.
    It would help if our offense could produce as many points as they give up.

The Childress offense is like the CPU in Madden on Rookie difficulty.

I forgot what this thread ia about.

Oh yah, forgetting.
    Silly me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast