Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    I see ESPN has now caught wind of the yahoo report.
    Meanwhile, Bleacher Report is just breaking wind.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Harvin's problem is that he is a great athlete but he is more of a tweener. He is a decent RB but not necessarily and every down back. He is a decent WR but not really a dominant WR that can run all the routes and he is a great return guy but it is hard to build the team around what he does best when we are essentially built around Peterson.

I think he seems to be better suited to a team that could use him as a RB and catching screens out of the backfield like teams did with Faulk all those years than as a slot WR.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    And he is not worth Megatron money. He is more along the lines of Shockwave or starscream.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Something we forget is the agents do the talking. What a player thinks has probably been the information the agent has given the player. It is the agent that explains what he is trying to get from the team and help the player have some sort of sense of what he is worth in the open market. (I see this similar to buying a house, I trust the agent to assist in getting data to support the offer then you have an appraisal also.)

I think we try to attach emotions to this that aren't there for the player. Yes the player has shown emotion on the sideline and per reports in the locker room. I think if one wants to know what Harvin is worth, they need to take his stats compare them to other guys that recently signed and do an appraisal of sorts. Then take into account the team he is on and determine if he can hold that team hostage (or not) because he is the best WR on that team.

If he is here next year, great. If he isn't that is fine with me too. He is worth market value and maybe a smidge more. If he can't deal with what the Vikings offer him, that is on him and his agent. He has a chance to be a featured player here and he knows what he has here. Does he have faith in the team to make changes to win or would he rather move on to another team and not know how he will be utilized? We have seen tons of WRs change teams and not succeed. With that said I do think because of his versatility he has more than other WR's offer.

It would be nice to sign him. Maybe they should ask Ponder to take a pay cut, "Christian, he makes you look better than you are. It might prolong your career. How about taking a pay cut to the league minimum." LOL Just kidding, that would be funny though.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    The only people that can say if he is worth Megatron money are the Vikings. The Vikings have the ultimate say in this, they are the ones that have to pony up the money. The player is just a piece of this huge puzzle.

Can they utilize him to put up those numbers?
    Do they think that is the production they expect from him in the system they want to run the next few years?
    How does that affect the production of the star player, AP?

Brewtal is offline Starter
    Spielman will let him hold out and play hardball. I believe it is the right move as well.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtal View Post
    Spielman will let him hold out and play hardball. I believe it is the right move as well.
    Agreed, if he's not already gone or, miraculously signed with an extension.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    i liked this about the situation.

And let's make another thing perfectly clear. . .as it stands right now, the Minnesota Vikings don't have to do one damn thing with Percy Harvin. Percy Harvin is under contract to the Minnesota Vikings for the 2013 season, whether he, his agent, or anybody else likes it or not. Sure, he can sit out and come back for the final six games so that he can get to free agency. And then after the season the Vikings can slap him with the franchise tag, at which point he can a) sign the tender and play for the Vikings, b) get traded for high draft picks, or c) sit at home and not play football for anybody. They can slap him with the franchise tag the year after that, too, if they want.

Basically, the Minnesota Vikings can decide not just where. . .or even if. . .Harvin plays football in 2013, but in 2014 and 2015, too.
    percy really holds no cards.. if he tries to hardball the vikes.. he loses.. his agent should be drilling this into him! play nice, get paid! stay a viking. any other team he goes to. sure he'll be percy.. but will they have AD to pull 9 players from the D to him? will they have a TE that needs to be covered? percy can't be shadow'd, dbl teamed on the vikes..

IF we do trade him it's because we got a Walker type trade. if I was percy's agent.. i'd say. play nice now. get rewarded later. push now u might get 10... play large next season, get 15 mil.. maybe on a different team.

however it pans out, it'll be the locker room that keeps him in line, coaching staff and teamates if they can.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by digital420 View Post

percy really holds no cards.. if he tries to hardball the vikes.. he loses.. his agent should be drilling this into him! play nice, get paid! stay a viking. any other team he goes to. sure he'll be percy.. but will they have AD to pull 9 players from the D to him? will they have a TE that needs to be covered? percy can't be shadow'd, dbl teamed on the vikes..

IF we do trade him it's because we got a Walker type trade. if I was percy's agent.. i'd say. play nice now. get rewarded later. push now u might get 10... play large next season, get 15 mil.. maybe on a different team.

however it pans out, it'll be the locker room that keeps him in line, coaching staff and teamates if they can.

DiGiTaL
    I negotiate contracts for a living...you are correct good sir, leverage, is a wonderful thing.

That said, the Vikings BATNA (Best Alternative to Negotiated Agreement) is not keeping him off the field and on the Roster. Whereas Percy holds no cards...a disgruntled, coddled, child does not equate to anything other than a major distraction from a Team perspective. As I posted roughly a month ago, if the kid wants to be here and changes his approach, great...if not, transfer the pain in the ass to someone else. There is no track record of anyone, other than mum-mum, keeping this kid "in line," so, cut your losses, and get as much as you can.

Oh, and I think it is naive to expect that Percy is going to come out publicly with whatever his major problem is...and, it is abundantly clear that neither Spielman nor Frazier are going to share it either. But, when Frazier stated that "Percy is in a good state of mind" after his season ending exit interview...to me, that spoke volumes. A key player who was put on IR, who is under contract for the following season, who's Team is making a Playoff run, who runs to Florida did all of the necessary speaking IMHO. Ponder and AD, among others, stating that they 'want Percy back,' are part of the Program, the Team...Percy, at this point, is not.

By the way, this topic is really giving me a migraine ...

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by digital420 View Post

DiGiTaL
    At this point, I think they would move him for a third round pick just to get rid of this headache.
    I hope they trade him to the Jags.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast