Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    A lot of speculation on both sides here...likely some truth both ways. Of course Harvin wants more money, and deserves it. We also know that he has a reputation of missing practices and throwing tantrums. I don't want to see him go, as I think he's a one of a kind talent, but I really, really love the blue collar, hard workin, team first personality that seems to be building, and if he can't get with that, then maybe we're better off without him.

And, his value won't go up from here. IF he goes into holdout mode and/or throws another tantrum, he hurts his trade value and his own pockets. But a guy who plays 3 positions well has some decent value, and good teams make sure they make the most of the draft picks they win on, one way or another.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Said it last year, I'll say it again, Harvin needs to look AP in the eye and tell HIM how committed he is to winning...

Until he can do that without being struck dead by lightning, Harvin will never be anything more than another T.O. "I love me some ME!!!".

We won't get anything near what he's "worth" in trade... teams know he wants out. The only way we get value is if a bidding war starts over him...and with his attitude, I can see teams walking away early if the "value" isn't there.

Caine

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    They better pay Harvin. I would hate to see him having to pop tags at the thrift store.

Brewtal is offline Starter
    I believe we should let him hold out. He will be back and forced to produce 10 weeks into the season, and if he does not produce he had just screwed himself for his big payday next offseason. Harvin is really stuck between a rock and a hard place. I would love to see us resign him, great player and fun to watch. If someone is going to be a weed for the team it just is not worth it.

Brewtal is offline Starter
    It really isn't looking good for Harvin that the Vikings started winning once he left. I think Ponder was forced to not just focus on him once he was gone.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    AP was entering the final year of his rookie contract in 2011 when the Vikings gave him a new contract.
    That's the way the Vikings have almost always operated in the past. That's why I asked you why you thought they should have extended Percy's contract last year. It made no sense.

After a 3 day holdout, Adrian Peterson signed a five year rookie contract worth about 40 million dollars, making him the highest paid running back in the NFL.
    The first year of that contract was 2007, which would have made the final year 2011.
    Had AP played out the final year of his contract, he would have tore his ACL and MCL, and his next contract may have been a lot different.

Negotiations for Percy's new contract will start this year, and hopefully, an agreement reached by training camp.
    Not sure where you're getting your info. AD signed a 6 year rookie contract in 2007.

Nearly three months after being drafted, he was signed by the Vikings on July 29, 2007. His contract was worth US$40.5 million over six years, with $17 million guaranteed.[
    Yes I counted 2007. A 6 year contract has him signed thru 2012 & a FA in 2013, So renewing his contract in the beginning of 2011 was a full year before his final year. Count again.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Harvin has done it four times. I am starting to see a pattern here.

And I actually laughed out loud when you said that Harvin was making a "minimal salary" when he got hurt. Harvin signed a five-year contract in 2009 worth $14.5 million, including $8.7 million in guarantees. Not exactly what he is worth, but not exactly minimal salary either.

Of course part of the problem is his lack of contract extension. I didn't say it wasn't. But a larger part of the problem is starting to look like Percy himself. Of course, if you are looking for any and every reason to justify your dislike of the GM, then I guess it makes sense to say things like "I don't think Harvin failed us, I think Spielman failed Harvin." and "Spielman gambled with our 2nd best player & lost." I am sure Harvin is convinced that he is nothing but a victim here too...
    Laugh all you want. $8.7 guaranteed over 5 years is 1.74 mil guaranteed. How much is Carlson making again? That must seem astronomical.

Here's Harvin's salary to date;

Percy Harvin Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

So far he's made $8.7 mil over 4 years. Not a lot considering his worth.

Here's the 2012 Vikings salaries;

Minnesota Vikings Salaries | Minnesota Vikings Player Salaries | 2012 Minnesota Vikings Salary | SportsCity.com

Spielman's job BTW, is not just to draft new players, but to keep the good players we have. Had he worked out a new deal with Harvin at the start of the season, he probably could have had him much cheaper then than he can now after having a great season up until the time he was injured.

IMO, he screwed the pooch on the handling of the situation & it has now cost the Vikings their top WR. Unless he signs another top notch WR that can play at the same level as Harvin, then he took the Vikings yet another step back in the rebuilding process.

If you want to toss 100% of the blame on Harvin, feel free, but IMO Spielman & the Vikings need to take ownership in that they didn't handle the situation well & now it will cost them dearly.

BTW, you never answered the questions about what you thought was said to Harvin to get him back into camp or what you felt those 3 blow-ups were about.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtal View Post
    It really isn't looking good for Harvin that the Vikings started winning once he left. I think Ponder was forced to not just focus on him once he was gone.
    How so? They won 5 games with him & 5 games without.

Since Harvin got hurt, Ponder avg. dropped from over 200 yards per game to 161 yards per game & his completion % fell from 63% to 60% despite his mechanics & pocket presence improving.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Laugh all you want. $8.7 guaranteed over 5 years is 1.74 mil guaranteed. How much is Carlson making again? That must seem astronomical.

Here's Harvin's salary to date;

Percy Harvin Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

So far he's made $8.7 mil over 4 years. Not a lot considering his worth.

Here's the 2012 Vikings salaries;

Minnesota Vikings Salaries | Minnesota Vikings Player Salaries | 2012 Minnesota Vikings Salary | SportsCity.com

Spielman's job BTW, is not just to draft new players, but to keep the good players we have. Had he worked out a new deal with Harvin at the start of the season, he probably could have had him much cheaper then than he can now after having a great season up until the time he was injured.

IMO, he screwed the pooch on the handling of the situation & it has now cost the Vikings their top WR. Unless he signs another top notch WR that can play at the same level as Harvin, then he took the Vikings yet another step back in the rebuilding process.

If you want to toss 100% of the blame on Harvin, feel free, but IMO Spielman & the Vikings need to take ownership in that they didn't handle the situation well & now it will cost them dearly.

BTW, you never answered the questions about what you thought was said to Harvin to get him back into camp or what you felt those 3 blow-ups were about.
    Good find on the salary links. It looks like Harvin is set to make just under $6 million this year. That puts him in the top echelons of WRs. From this article it looks like Harvin is looking to make at least $10 million per year, if not $12 million per year. That would put him in pretty elite company, with only Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson making that much. Is Harvin worth it? Well, this is where the attitude thing comes in for me. If he had the same attitude as Fitz or Megatron I think I would be fine with it. But he doesn't, and that lowers the price for me.

Now to your question, what did Spielman say to Harvin? I don't know, I expect it was about working the contract after the season. It is pretty rare to sign a player to a contract extension when they still have two years left in their contract. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it is pretty rare.

As far as Harvin blowing up, I don't know exactly what it was about. I don't think it was contractual because it was directed at Frazier instead of Spielman. I think it was much more likely operational, probably related to his frustration with the QB. He was fairly vocal about that too. But regardless of what it was about, it demonstrates a lack of respect. Not what I want from a team leader, especially when that person wants team leader money.

Did the Vikings and Spielman handle the situation correctly? Obviously you do not think so, but I don't know. Yes, we could have probably alleviated any holdout talks by signing Harvin to a new contract last offseason, but would that have been the best for the Vikings? It would have set precedent for players to look for contracts when there is two years left in their rookie contract, and outside of AD, I don't know if we have any players who have demonstrated that they deserve that. It also would have given top ten WR money to a player who is definitely top ten on the field, but questionable when it comes to leadership. Harvin's lack of maturity and leadership last season make me think that Spielman made the correct decision in waiting.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast