Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    While Harvin might be the top one of that group, the fact remains we don't only need Harvin, but an additional one from that group as well.

I'm just afraid Spielman will get us WR help in the same manner he got us WR & TE help last year.
    Why?

We have Wright for one WR option and when we are running 2 TE's or a TE and a FB there isn't any more room for a WR on the field so one vertical threat would fill out the roster. Now, if we were going to get rid of AP and the FB and spread out 5 WR's I can see your point. But in this case I don't.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    While Harvin might be the top one of that group, the fact remains we don't only need Harvin, but an additional one from that group as well.

I'm just afraid Spielman will get us WR help in the same manner he got us WR & TE help last year.
    What I read there, is that we are better off keeping Harvin than signing any of those guys. And, really, I don't see us adding a high priced WR unless we lose Harvin. Bowe is already negotiating with KC, Jennings has been hurt too much and has connections in MIA, Wallace is a one trick pony coming off a bad year who I believe will be wildly overpaid by somebody. Welker is only a fit if we suddenly find ourselves without the awesome slot receiver we have now.

Well, it sucked, to be sure, but we were kinda cap-strapped last offseason and only had cash for bargains, and then 3 of the 5 additions he did make got hurt with lingering, performance harming or season-ending injuries (Simpson, Childs & Carlson...D'oh!) Leaving us to depend on 4th round rookies Wright and Ellison as starters more than expected.

True, we don't trot out 3 WRs very damn much. But, it has become painfully obvious that we have one of the lowest total talent levels at WR in the entire, passing-driven league! We simply cannot go through another year with this level of lacking or we'll be hurting Ponder instead of helping him, and worst yet, creating another excuse for another year of Pondering what he could do if he had some weapons.

As much as I'd love to see some youthful potential added to D too, I feel like we need to concentrate a bit more on offense this draft, and remove as many excuses for poor QB play as possible, so we know what we have there earlier than later.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I think that the Vikings are a better team with Harvin than we are without. However, I don't think that the Vikings need Harvin. We proved that last season when we did just as well without him than we did with. Hell, Ponder may have improved, as he used Percy like a crutch before, and had to start trusting his other receivers once he was out.

If we can lock up Harvin for a decent price, I am OK with it. But if he wants Megatron type money, I would rather ship him and his attitude somewhere else.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Why?

We have Wright for one WR option and when we are running 2 TE's or a TE and a FB there isn't any more room for a WR on the field so one vertical threat would fill out the roster. Now, if we were going to get rid of AP and the FB and spread out 5 WR's I can see your point. But in this case I don't.
    So you feel we should go into the season with only Harvin, Jenkins, Wright & Burton on the roster & bank on 5'10" Jarius Wright, who caught 22 passes for 310 yards in 2012, as our deep threat "go to guy" to compliment 5'11" Harvin? I like the kid but haven't seen enough of him to say he's our #2 guy & also believe we need a WR over 6' that has speed & can get up & get the ball.

It was clear we needed a deep threat WR last year with Harvin still on the field. How has that not changed, especially considering we have 2 less WR on the roster than we had last year?
    Last edited by singersp; 02-19-2013 at 06:00 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    What I read there, is that we are better off keeping Harvin than signing any of those guys. And, really, I don't see us adding a high priced WR unless we lose Harvin. Bowe is already negotiating with KC, Jennings has been hurt too much and has connections in MIA, Wallace is a one trick pony coming off a bad year who I believe will be wildly overpaid by somebody. Welker is only a fit if we suddenly find ourselves without the awesome slot receiver we have now.

Well, it sucked, to be sure, but we were kinda cap-strapped last offseason and only had cash for bargains, and then 3 of the 5 additions he did make got hurt with lingering, performance harming or season-ending injuries (Simpson, Childs & Carlson...D'oh!) Leaving us to depend on 4th round rookies Wright and Ellison as starters more than expected.

True, we don't trot out 3 WRs very damn much. But, it has become painfully obvious that we have one of the lowest total talent levels at WR in the entire, passing-driven league! We simply cannot go through another year with this level of lacking or we'll be hurting Ponder instead of helping him, and worst yet, creating another excuse for another year of Pondering what he could do if he had some weapons.

As much as I'd love to see some youthful potential added to D too, I feel like we need to concentrate a bit more on offense this draft, and remove as many excuses for poor QB play as possible, so we know what we have there earlier than later.
    I agree, we did have one of the lowest total talent levels at WR in the entire, passing-driven league. We lacked a deep threat WR last year & I believe it hurt our passing game. People complained "Ponder had no one to throw to". "Ponder has no WR weapons other than Harvin"

The only thing that's changed on that this year is now Ponder has two of those WR going to FA. I think Wright needs to move up & fill one of those rolls, but we still need what we lacked last year, a viable deep threat WR. That would give us 5 WR's on the roster. Possibly 6 if they keep Childs, but after his injuries & never seeing preseason, that's questionable.

I don't want to see the lack of another damn good WR being an excuse for Ponder to be given yet a 3rd uncontested year in 2014.

I don't think we were that strapped for cash last year, we still had a surplus at the end of the year & I don't believe Carlson was a "bargain" no matter how you look at it.
    Last edited by singersp; 02-19-2013 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I think that the Vikings are a better team with Harvin than we are without. However, I don't think that the Vikings need Harvin. We proved that last season when we did just as well without him than we did with. Hell, Ponder may have improved, as he used Percy like a crutch before, and had to start trusting his other receivers once he was out.

If we can lock up Harvin for a decent price, I am OK with it. But if he wants Megatron type money, I would rather ship him and his attitude somewhere else.
    He did start spreading the ball out more, but that's the only good that came out of it. We did win without him, but only because AD carried him through it.

In the 1st half of the season, ponder passed for 1,743 & 10 TD's with Harvin. In the 2nd half of the season, Ponder passed for 1,192 & 8 without him. In the 7 game stretch in the 2nd half of the season up until that last game of the season, Ponder only passed for 958 yards & 5 TD's.
    Last edited by singersp; 02-19-2013 at 06:38 AM.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    He did start spreading the ball out more, but that's the only good that came out of it. We did win without him, but only because AD carried him through it.

In the 1st half of the season, ponder passed for 1,743 & 10 TD's with Harvin. In the 2nd half of the season, Ponder passed for 1,192 & 8 without him. In the 7 game stretch in the 2nd half of the season up until that last game of the season, Ponder only passed for 958 yards & 5 TD's.
    Agreed. Ponder also hit a slump with Harvin gone which contributed to those stats. I think the slump had a lot to do with Harvin out of the line up, because Ponder had relied on him too much up to that point. He looked to be getting over that crutch nicely near the end of the season.

Again, I think the Vikings are a better team with Harvin than they are without. But not at any price.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Just wanted to point out that Ponder looked terrible even with Harvin.
    This team needs a total revamp of the WR position and needs the addition of atleast 3 new Wrs.
    Jennings, Harvin, Patterson/(Allen) Wright and i might be satisfied

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    So you feel we should go into the season with only Harvin, Jenkins, Wright & Burton on the roster & bank on 5'10" Jarius Wright, who caught 22 passes for 310 yards in 2012, as our deep threat "go to guy" to compliment 5'11" Harvin? I like the kid but haven't seen enough of him to say he's our #2 guy & also believe we need a WR over 6' that has speed & can get up & get the ball.

It was clear we needed a deep threat WR last year with Harvin still on the field. How has that not changed, especially considering we have 2 less WR on the roster than we had last year?
    No, you didn't read my post. We only need 1 additional WR and that is a vertical WR. Wright can be the slot guy. The rest are just backups and IDC who that ends up being.

We DO NOT need a deep threat + a slot guy in addition to Wright and whoever else the staff decides to keep.

Christian Ponder says Vikings want Percy Harvin back

Christian Ponder says Vikings want Percy Harvin back - NFL.com

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast