singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Harvin to be kick returner

Vikings WR Percy Harvin to return kicks

Vikings WR Percy Harvin to return kicks - CBSSports.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    I like this ... every time he gets a chance to return a kick I thing he can go all the way ... bout time.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thorshammer View Post
    I like this ... every time he gets a chance to return a kick I thing he can go all the way ... bout time.
    Our problem however is if Harvin gets hurt we literally have Michael Jenkins and that's it.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Our problem however is if Harvin gets hurt we literally have Michael Jenkins and that's it.
    Agreed but if we hold out all our good players .... we'd go 0 and 16 .... don't think I could stand that ... you can't win if you play scared ...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thorshammer View Post
    Agreed but if we hold out all our good players .... we'd go 0 and 16 .... don't think I could stand that ... you can't win if you play scared ...
    There's a difference between holding out our good players and not having our best player returning kicks.

harvin is FAR more valuable as a receiver where he can get 1000+ yards and 5-10+ TD's, than as a kick returner where he'll maybe get 2-3 TD's if he has a fantastic season.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    There's a difference between holding out our good players and not having our best player returning kicks.

harvin is FAR more valuable as a receiver where he can get 1000+ yards and 5-10+ TD's, than as a kick returner where he'll maybe get 2-3 TD's if he has a fantastic season.
    Considering that most kicks will be touch backs, I think the chance of injury is low. And even if he doesn't score at least he will give us better field position.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Injuries are increasing for all types of plays over the last decade. Last season, the injury rate was 1.6% on runs, 1.5% on passes, 1.3% on punts, and 2.0% on kickoffs. The graph illustrates there is something systemic at work increasing injuries at predictably steady rate, or at least increasing the reporting of injuries. Because of the very real concern around the NFL, I'd assume most of the increase is real.
    Advanced NFL Stats: Will the New Kickoff Rules Really Reduce Injuries?

Now while it looks as if the risk is much higher on kickoffs than it is on passes, you need to consider quantity.

For instance, Harvin caught 87 passes last year, ran the ball 52 times & the Viking returned kickoffs 53 times.

87 x 1.5% = 1.30

52 x 1.6% = 0.83

53 x 2.0% = 1.06

The chance of him getting injured receiving passes, is greater than him returning kicks, even though the percentages say otherwise.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

Advanced NFL Stats: Will the New Kickoff Rules Really Reduce Injuries?

Now while it looks as if the risk is much higher on kickoffs than it is on passes, you need to consider quantity.

For instance, Harvin caught 87 passes last year, ran the ball 52 times & the Viking returned kickoffs 53 times.

87 x 1.5% = 1.30

52 x 1.6% = 0.83

53 x 2.0% = 1.06

The chance of him getting injured receiving passes, is greater than him returning kicks, even though the percentages say otherwise.
    The point being, if he gets hurt returning a kick, he won't be doing any of the others. He's far too valuable, and we now have other fast playmakers. Sherels looked alright, Robinson is faster than hell, We'll survive without him returning kicks.

Don't get me wrong, I like seeing him there, but I don't see him as the full time guy. I bet they put him there to start, but he won't finish the game at KR.