Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Happy 50th Anniversary Hub Meeds

Found this in the local paper, White Bear Press. It has no reference to his days as the Vikings Mascot, but Hub lives in White Bear Lake, MN.

Anniversary

Meeds

Everett "Hub" and Patti Meeds celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on Jan. 29 at Dunrovin Retreat Center. They have five children: Pam (Greg) Carlson, Joe (Karen) Meeds, Jerome (Mary) Meeds, Lauri Armstrong and David Meeds.

They have 10 grandchildren: Nicole, Tyler, Zach, Anna, Christie, Maria and Mario Meeds; Jami, Lindsey and Tony Armstrong.

Some of you may remember him, but I loved watching Hub roam the sidelines when I was a kid.

The paper has a picture of their wedding, but I couldn't find it on-line for a link.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Happy 50th Anniversary Hub Meeds

Back in the day of real football. I'd love to see those outdoor days back. Congrats!!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Now that was a Viking, not Ragnar or whatever the hell he calls himself!
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

I seem to remember him doing it for free. I know the Vikings gave him free access to the games. What a fan, SHEESH !! The Vikes owe him big-time. They should construct a commemorative statue at the new stadium (whenever that happens).

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Hub is now 72 & lives in White Bear Lake, MN.

This is a scan of an autographed picture I have of him;

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Sorry to scoop you on this singer. I figured I had an advantage though, seeing as I got the paper.

That's a sweet pic, and an autograph too. How did you come across that?

A little history on The Viking.

January 11, 1970, New Orleans, Louisiana, site of the Super Bowl IV. A big day for the Minnesota Vikings! This also marked the first appearance of the Vikings' new mascot. There had been sporadic appearances at home games in previous years by a basketball player dressed in a Viking costume; but the 11th of January marked the debut of Hub Meeds, the Viking mascot.

Hub and his brother-in-law, Dan Jeans, had purchased two tickets and travelled to New Orleans just like 70,000 other fans to watch the Super Bowl extravaganza, but, unlike the other fans they rented Viking costumes. When they arrived in full dressed Viking array, they were only allowed to watch the spectacle from the sidelines, not in the stands as they wished because they had made no prior arrangements to get field passes. As the two cheered for the team they also won the hearts of the fans. With much support from the fans Hub decided to make the character a permanent fixture at Viking home games.

Since that day he has been the only person to play the role and only missed one game in eleven years! Hub knew his custom wasn't feasible to rent for each game so after a couple he had ideas to design and finish one of his own. His, wife, Patty, made a pattern based on one of the rented costumes. Toghter, Hub and Patty with the help of a neighbor, constucted the following suit. The undergarment is sleeveless, knee-length, and made of burlap or sackcloth. Over this a vest of imitation sheepskin is worn, A wide belt, and fake fur boots strapped with strips of leather complete this portion of the costume.

While Hub now lets his beard grow for football season, originally he purchased a red wig and full, red beard to wear. His first helmet came from a costume shop and was made of a material which allowed heating and shaping to fit the head. His current helmet has real horns attached to a metal helmet covered with fake fur. The sword was purchased at an antique sale and the shield he carries is a discarded snow saucer measuring about 22 inches in diameter. The saucer was pretty well banged up, adding to its appearance of authenticity. It was sprayed gold, and as a finishing touch, Hub put rivits around the edges and attached two straps through which he can put his arm. The arm pieces are of imitation brown leather. Football season is usually very cold in Minnesota so Hub normally wears a black sweater, levis, and of course insulated underwear under the costume.

Before each home game, the Viking sets up a group of shields along the sidelines which spell out the word VIKINGS. They are used as props by the cheerleaders who pick them up one at a time in proper sequence while Hub waves his sword and shield to the crowd. This routine brings a roar from the fans but never as loud as when Hub solos at those moments when they "really need it". Unlike many of the official mascots in professional sports, Hub does not receive a salary for his appearances at Viking home games. He's a dedicated fan and feels that the two season tickets plus the paid trip to one away game each year are ample rewards.

Hub has a heart of gold when it comes to cheering up the unfortunated children who are unable to get out to the stadium to see him. While at the away games he encounters some friendly displayes with the other mascot to get the crowd roaring. Before Hub Meeds retires as the Viking, we are sure that players and fans alike will pay tribute to a fine and loyal mascot and a big-hearted human being.

WOW, there's the statue. :lol:

BIGDADDYG is offline Pro-Bowler

"SKOL" wrote:
    [img]http//i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/Hub.jpg[/img]

WOW, there's the statue. lol
    CONGRATS HUB!!!!! :wav: That would make a great statue.

Like my POPEYE Tattoo says " I
    Y AM
    WHAT
    I
    Y AM "

"SKOL" wrote:
    Sorry to scoop you on this singer. I figured I had an advantage though, seeing as I got the paper.

That's a sweet pic, and an autograph too. How did you come across that?
    I go thru the paper every morning while your still in bed SKOL! :grin:

I just didn't see it on the "Online Paper"

The autograph pic was giving to me by my daughters boyfriends parents.

He & his parents are Cheesedicks. His mother grew up in the Twin Cities & I believe she actually aquired the autographed pic.

I believe she converted to a Packer fan after she married. They dislike the Vikings, but they know Iam a die-hard Vikings fan, so they gave the pic to me.

The pic has to be about 30 years old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast