A look at five veteran players who might be moving on

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Halfway out the Vikings' door

Let BJ go...and try to get Jeff Garcia...he knows how to run a WCO

I think that we keep Smoot ONE MORE YEAR...then let him go

Why should we let Napoleon go if he is gonna attract that much interest...unless we take a shot at Briggs or Fletcher

Wiggins should be kept and thrown to more

Taylor should also be kept...as the aforementioned #3 WR...and we should take shots at Drew Bennett (as a #2) and Joe Horn (via trade as a legit #1)
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"cajunvike" wrote:

Why should we let Napoleon go if he is gonna attract that much interest...unless we take a shot at Briggs or Fletcher

Taylor should also be kept...as the aforementioned #3 WR...and we should take shots at Drew Bennett (as a #2) and Joe Horn (via trade as a legit #1)
    A classic possession receiver, he has seen his opportunities decrease in Childress' version of the West Coast offense and doesn't have much to offer in terms of run after the catch.
    I'm kind of torn on Wiggins. While he has great hands, I would like to see a leaner, faster TE who does have the speed to get open quickly & provide decent YAC.

At the same time the TE also has to have the skills to be a good pass blocker Like Kleinsasser.

I could be wrong, but isn't that speed an important part of the WCO? A part we are missing?

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:

A classic possession receiver, he has seen his opportunities decrease in Childress' version of the West Coast offense and doesn't have much to offer in terms of run after the catch.
    I'm kind of torn on Wiggins. While he has great hands, I would like to see a leaner, faster TE who does have the speed to get open quickly & provide decent YAC.

At the same time the TE also has to have the skills to be a good pass blocker Like Kleinsasser.

I could be wrong, but isn't that speed an important part of the WCO? A part we are missing?

West coast style tight ends are generally faster guys that can stretch the middle of the field. Wiggins is a heck of a receiver, but doesn't possess the same kind of speed that a Vernon Davis or Antonio Gates does.

I love Wiggy, and he's given us some great years, but I don't think he fits with the WCO nor does he fit with what Childress' idea of what a tight end should be.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I can see BJ asking for his release and being granted that release..

I think we really should look at TE's that have a complete package.. Wiggins has great hands, but doesn't have the speed to get the YAC.. Kleinsasser has great blocking skills, but is not necessarily the protipical TE.. Getting Tony Gonzalez would be awesome in FA..

At this point in time, I am so up in the air on Fred Smoot.. He would be nice to keep around for the nickel position, and for depth, but I doubt he stays if he is getting starter money.. With Cedric Griffin in the fold, I see Smoot leaving this offseason..

With the recent rumors of a possible trade to bring Randy Moss back, I would like to see Troy Williamson dropping passes for another team next season.. He hasn't shown much of anything to warrant his 1st rd draft status.. When he was picked, and what he has done, he has to be considered a let down.. There are other options through trade and FA, to be worrying about a guy that drops passes all the time..

If the Vikings were to just let Harris go, they should have done it last offseason, not this year.. After he came here in the Randy Moss trade, he was labeled a bust.. Now he finally gets the opportunity to shine, and he did a very good job for us this season.. I don't really see whay they will let him walk, especially not knowing how Greenway is going to be..

Taylor if kept should be a 3rd WR.. He is not consistent enough to be a starter, or even a #2 WR.. Hopefully they hit it hard

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

I would like to see Troy Williamson dropping passes for another team next season.. He hasn't shown much of anything to warrant his 1st rd draft status.. When he was picked, and what he has done, he has to be considered a let down.. There are other options through trade and FA, to be worrying about a guy that drops passes all the time..
    Regardless of when in the draft he was picked is irrelavent IMO. If Childress feels he can turn it around, he might keep him, if not, he'll let him go.

so if everything goes how it might go, and we catch some (very lucky) breaks here and there, our offense for next year COULD be;

jackson
    bollinger
    3rd qb tba

taylor
    moore
    fason
    pinner

richardson
    owens

moss
    williamson
    draft pick
    fa signing
    mc mullen
    johnson

gonzalez
    dugan

that would leave moore, fason, dugan, owens, and williamson as guys who played under tice. i think we see where childress is heading to.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

i see us sucking next year on offense no matter what.

moss is not the answer, neither is gonzalez.
    though they would help, our offense is too confined.
    besides, we won't get either.
    Childress is a bargain shopper, with the exception of Hutch (who in my oppinon didn't sure up any offensive line).
    we will find more mediocre WR's in FA and will suck just as much as the season our team ave up on this year.

people on the way out: all our QB's except Jackson.
    All our WR's except Williamson and McMullen (who has naked pics of childress F-ing a Racoon).
    Our Offensive line will be the same, with minor changes (and will under achieve again next year).
    i just want to point out that i am writing these predictions cause that this the way i think the vikes childress will go.

smoot will be here until his contract is done or he gets arrested again, whichever comes first.