Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 595
  1. #21
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Cedric Griffin Not Cutting It

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Its the system

    The CBs cant stay with a WR for 4-5 seconds
    Come on, you build your system depending on the players/talent you have.
    If you have talent you can press and go man a lot (GB & Chicago).
    If you do not have it you go zone (us).


    Yes im aware

    But when you give a vet QB 3-5 solid seconds to throw the ball he will make good throws

    We have all seen Griff play well when he gets help up front

    I think he is better suited at safety.. But he is our second best corner and that kinda sucks


  2. #22
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,909

    Re: Cedric Griffin Not Cutting It

    "V4L" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Its the system

    The CBs cant stay with a WR for 4-5 seconds
    Come on, you build your system depending on the players/talent you have.
    If you have talent you can press and go man a lot (GB & Chicago).
    If you do not have it you go zone (us).


    Yes im aware

    But when you give a vet QB 3-5 solid seconds to throw the ball he will make good throws

    We have all seen Griff play well when he gets help up front

    I think he is better suited at safety.. But he is our second best corner and that kinda sucks
    He is best suited off this team!

  3. #23
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Cedric Griffin Not Cutting It

    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Its the system

    The CBs cant stay with a WR for 4-5 seconds
    Come on, you build your system depending on the players/talent you have.
    If you have talent you can press and go man a lot (GB & Chicago).
    If you do not have it you go zone (us).


    Yes im aware

    But when you give a vet QB 3-5 solid seconds to throw the ball he will make good throws

    We have all seen Griff play well when he gets help up front

    I think he is better suited at safety.. But he is our second best corner and that kinda sucks
    He is best suited off this team!

    Although I like Gordan I am much more comfortable with Cedric there

    Gordan will be a stud in a few years though

    He keeps improving

  4. #24
    vikes2456's Avatar
    vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,656

    Re: Cedric Griffin Not Cutting It

    Whatever happened to McCauley?

  5. #25
    Yfz01 is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    606

    Re: Cedric Griffin Not Cutting It

    Griffin is not good, and he never has been good, and he never will be good.
    He is not the second best corner on our team, in my opinion. He can not play man, he seems to get lazy after the first five or so yards.
    Trailing with no effort, until they catch it. Even when in position he still gives up the plays.

  6. #26
    Formo's Avatar
    Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,664

    Re: Cedric Griffin Not Cutting It

    Griffin looked alot like Smoot did.
    And Winfield even looks like Smoot did from time to time.

    I'm beginning to think this is more a coverage system problem versus personnel problem.
    Not sure.

    But, to defend Griffin, teams are picking on him...
    Yeah, he didn't do great versus the Colts, but, please, remind me, who do the Colts have at WR?
    Certainly not Berrian, Wade, or Rice.

    Wasn't Griffin covering Steve Smith a bit last week?
    Last I checked, Smith didn't do much.

    I think Griffin is an average starting CB in the NFL.
    Sometimes has brilliant plays, sometimes not.
    Still have yet to see if that's just the coverage he's in or if it's his physical abilities.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

  7. #27
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Cedric Griffin Not Cutting It

    "Formo" wrote:
    Griffin looked alot like Smoot did.
    And Winfield even looks like Smoot did from time to time.

    I'm beginning to think this is more a coverage system problem versus personnel problem.
    Not sure.

    But, to defend Griffin, teams are picking on him...
    Yeah, he didn't do great versus the Colts, but, please, remind me, who do the Colts have at WR?
    Certainly not Berrian, Wade, or Rice.

    Wasn't Griffin covering Steve Smith a bit last week?
    Last I checked, Smith didn't do much.

    I think Griffin is an average starting CB in the NFL.
    Sometimes has brilliant plays, sometimes not.
    Still have yet to see if that's just the coverage he's in or if it's his physical abilities.
    You are correct.

    Some people seem to have forgotten that in the previous 2 games VS the colts, Manning had 8 TD's and about 800 yards passing. We were not going to shut him out, he is too good. But we did do a great job of containing him into the third quarter. Then the D got tired because we kept going 3 and out and the secondary got fatigued and they capitalized.

    Griff had smith some of the time but I know they made an effort to put Winny on him pretty frequently.

    We just don't have the personnel to play bump and run with a safety over the top and if the rush isn't there we are going to yield yards.

  8. #28
    DustinDupont's Avatar
    DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,607

    Re: Cedric Griffin Not Cutting It

    "vikes2456" wrote:
    Whatever happened to McCauley?
    Inactive

  9. #29
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,909

    Re: Cedric Griffin Not Cutting It

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    Griffin looked alot like Smoot did.
    And Winfield even looks like Smoot did from time to time.

    I'm beginning to think this is more a coverage system problem versus personnel problem.
    Not sure.

    But, to defend Griffin, teams are picking on him...
    Yeah, he didn't do great versus the Colts, but, please, remind me, who do the Colts have at WR?
    Certainly not Berrian, Wade, or Rice.

    Wasn't Griffin covering Steve Smith a bit last week?
    Last I checked, Smith didn't do much.

    I think Griffin is an average starting CB in the NFL.
    Sometimes has brilliant plays, sometimes not.
    Still have yet to see if that's just the coverage he's in or if it's his physical abilities.
    You are correct.

    Some people seem to have forgotten that in the previous 2 games VS the colts, Manning had 8 TD's and about 800 yards passing. We were not going to shut him out, he is too good. But we did do a great job of containing him into the third quarter. Then the D got tired because we kept going 3 and out and the secondary got fatigued and they capitalized.

    Griff had smith some of the time but I know they made an effort to put Winny on him pretty frequently.

    We just don't have the personnel to play bump and run with a safety over the top and if the rush isn't there we are going to yield yards.
    I call bullshit.
    1) Peyton's Oline was decimated. They had a rookie guard playing Lt our somthing like that.
    2) Griffen still got man handled in the carolina game. Do you remmebr steve smith had over 60 yards in the first half. He was punshing Griffen.
    3) Griffen is always late to react to the comeback. He is never, ever there. He is always bailing. when that 5 yard catch is always there, teasm will take it. He stinks. Period, at 6'0....he gets out muscled and out jumped when the ball is in the air. Kevin Curtis played beat him last year.

  10. #30
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,144

    Re: Cedric Griffin Not Cutting It

    "Formo" wrote:
    Griffin looked alot like Smoot did.
    And Winfield even looks like Smoot did from time to time.

    I'm beginning to think this is more a coverage system problem versus personnel problem.
    Not sure.

    But, to defend Griffin, teams are picking on him...
    Yeah, he didn't do great versus the Colts, but, please, remind me, who do the Colts have at WR?
    Certainly not Berrian, Wade, or Rice.

    Wasn't Griffin covering Steve Smith a bit last week?
    Last I checked, Smith didn't do much.

    I think Griffin is an average starting CB in the NFL.
    Sometimes has brilliant plays, sometimes not.
    Still have yet to see if that's just the coverage he's in or if it's his physical abilities.
    Smoot and Winfield shouldn't be compared at all, Winfield has been a tremendous player since he was FA signing back with Tice. This year Winfield has been very solid aside from the Packer game. I think he had his hands on two passess today and eventually they went away from him just like Peyton Manning did. Why pass on Winfield's side of field if the opposing side is always an option? These WR's are consistently getting seperation from Griffin and I have a hard time covering his @ss by blaming the system. The Cover 2 is run around the league by several teams who play it well.

    Anthony Gonzales was the WR who made Griffin look silly, he's a good WR but I just don't think Griffin is on the level he needs to be, he has lots of work to do on his technique and confidence.

    In the Panthers game we used everyone to cover Steve Smith, I thought Winfield would be lined up all day on him but we didn't change anything in terms of the scheme. On the first play of the game he gave up a good chunck then added 15 because he overpersued on the tackle grabing the face mask resulting in field goal position.

    Griffin is brillant in terms of tackling and laying very solid hits, he might have a future at backup safety if he can't iron these issues out. Ability wise he has everything a CB needs but he's got to start making some plays on the ball, something that is rare for him.

    I can't remeber the last time we actually had a coverage sack the past three years, we had several when Cotrell was cordinator. I think its going to very hard to get pressure on the QB everytime he throws the ball, meaning we need to make plays on the back end.

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Griffin's goal is to turn the corner
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-14-2009, 02:56 PM
  2. Cedric Griffin's preparing to be picked on
    By cogitans in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 03:19 AM
  3. Cedric Griffin's hit against Bears?
    By hothead25 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-16-2007, 01:16 PM
  4. Rookie CB Griffin's day assuredly will come
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 02:32 AM
  5. The beast I wish we had
    By ultravikingfan in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 12-29-2005, 04:47 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •