Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Cedric Griffin Not Cutting It

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    We have had a poohie secondary since dungy left over a decade ago.

It is not going to help to replace him.
    Did you not see how bad this guy performed vs the Colts and now the Titans? How could possibly know that a change won't help?
    Because it is a systematic problem.

In the cover 2 you need more pressure from the line so that the corners are not exposed all game. Last week we got pressure and Griffin was able to look acceptable. In the Packers, colts and titans games the line was not getting pressure so the wr's had better days.

When you line the CB up 10 yards off the line it is going to create space for them to get open. But the whole key, as I said, is to find a way to get consistent pressure. We have spent enough money up front to expect a better job.
    LOL, this is when I know your post is shot, I guess you didn't watch the Colts game when Manning was under immense pressure, the most we got all season might I add and CONSITENT. We destroyed there make shift Oline. I can't say I'm completely satisfied with the Pass Rush but there has been enough to get the job done. Winfield is our other CB and he isn't getting beat nearly on the level of Griffin. Even a guy like Gordon has deminstrated some good coverage ability.

It doesn't matter if he is lined up 10 yards back or is in bump and run, he's burned all day every day. I hate to even have to make this thread because I was very high on this guy but I'm not about to start making excuses for his lack of performance.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Did you not see how bad this guy performed vs the Colts and now the Titans? How could possibly know that a change won't help?

In the cover 2 you need more pressure from the line so that the corners are not exposed all game. Last week we got pressure and Griffin was able to look acceptable. In the Packers, colts and titans games the line was not getting pressure so the wr's had better days.

When you line the CB up 10 yards off the line it is going to create space for them to get open. But the whole key, as I said, is to find a way to get consistent pressure. We have spent enough money up front to expect a better job.
    LOL, this is when I know your post is shot, I guess you didn't watch the Colts game when Manning was under immense pressure, the most we got all season might I add and CONSITENT. We destroyed there make shift Oline. I can't say I'm completely satisfied with the Pass Rush but there has been enough to get the job done. Winfield is our other CB and he isn't getting beat nearly on the level of Griffin. Even a guy like Gordon has deminstrated some good coverage ability.

It doesn't matter if he is lined up 10 yards back or is in bump and run, he's burned all day every day. I hate to even have to make this thread because I was very high on this guy but I'm not about to start making excuses for his lack of performance.
    Also we ran a lot of man today and he still got ate up. last week SS has 70 yards in the first half. Griffen was getting eaten alive. He is no CB

"V4L" wrote:
    Its the system

The CBs cant stay with a WR for 4-5 seconds
    Another excuse but this one isn't even valid, we can all act there is no pass rush and that is the problem but its not because the QB's we have been facing don't have all day to throw the ball. Its usually very easy for QB's to be out with the ball when there going to left side fo the field.

"kevoncox" wrote:
    Also we ran a lot of man today and he still got ate up. last week SS has 70 yards in the first half. Griffen was getting eaten alive. He is no CB
    Not a coverage one anyway, I love to have him because he's such a physical presence, a great tackler and hitter but his coverage skills are awful.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Sorry Buddy, I was at the game.

They did get pressure until the third quarter.

You do remember the third quarter? That is when the corners went from looking good to getting burned. My point is upheld.

You are just pissy because you were the biggest cheerleader for Childress and his pipe dream all offseason when many of us were saying he was a bad coach and now that it is obvious we were right you are searching for a Smoot.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"V4L" wrote:
    Its the system

Come on, you build your system depending on the players/talent you have.
    If you have talent you can press and go man a lot (GB & Chicago).
    If you do not have it you go zone (us).

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Its the system

Come on, you build your system depending on the players/talent you have.
    If you have talent you can press and go man a lot (GB & Chicago).
    If you do not have it you go zone (us).

Not the Vikes...We build the system then try to fit layers who dont fit into it....Example = Smoot!

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach

Griffin is making me forget all about Dishman and Smoot. Or is he reminding me of them?

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Sorry Buddy, I was at the game.

They did get pressure until the third quarter.

You do remember the third quarter? That is when the corners went from looking good to getting burned. My point is upheld.

You are just pissy because you were the biggest cheerleader for Childress and his pipe dream all offseason when many of us were saying he was a bad coach and now that it is obvious we were right you are searching for a Smoot.
    I don't care wether you were at the game or not, I watched it on TV more than once.

We got pressure all game long, we even got pressure when Manning completed that amazing seem pass on the money, Chuck Gordon was in coverage but it was one of those passess that is almost too good. Griffin was burned all game long, Gonzales had over 135 yards total.

Trust me I'm not happy with alot of things that are happening, wether you want to call that pissy is up to you but I'm certainly not the only one that is upset. I was supportive of Childress this whole offseason, I think Childress is a very smart individual but I really don't know if Head Coach is his niche. He might be more sutable for a job in the front office where he has more of impact and has had a good impact on our current roster thats filled with Talent and Character. I've stated it before if he can't win with this talent he needs to be gone, just like I said If Tarvaris can't cut it he'll need to. Just because I support someone doesn't mean I won't be honest with the situation, just like the way I'm being honest with Cedric Griffin who I have defended before, probably in the thread that "I Bleed Purple" made in the offseason.

I don't have to search for a Smoot because Griffin is making it evident by his lack of consitancy in coverage. I think Griffin is the biggest weakness on this defense and unless he steps up or someone else does opposing offenses will continue to take advantage of that side of the field and quite frankly we can't have that, not at 1-3 and playing pass happy offense next week.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Griffins problem is man to man, and we did it a lot today.

You know who plays well on the outside? Marcus McCauley. The reason he didn't fit the team is because he doesn't play well in the slot, Toine would have to move inside on nickel situations. Maybe it's time to activate him and give Griff some time in the slot.

Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast