Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe4cheese View Post
    Sorry my friend, but a step or two is for all practical purposes a busted play in this league if you're playing against an accurate quarterback. I not hating on the guy, it's just he's lost a step to me.
    I can agree with you on that point, however, you have to look at the play in total. Griff did his job, he kept Hester inside were there was supposed to be help.

Both S's, the one who hesitated on the blitz, thus getting there late, and the one who was supposed to give help were the problem. Not the CB.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    I understand everyone's point of view, but in my opinion, it's not the lack of speed or consistency on Griff's part, but the fact that we are playing and outdated defense that was originally designed to stop the West Coast offense. Griff does not fit in well with the needs fo the Tampa 2 D and this hurts his ability to cover receivers. A good Tampa Two Corner needs to Jam receivers and force the out side run back in. Our linebackers do not have the ability to take away the hook or curl. Our Safeties start inching up on the underneath patterns and wam get beat deep. Also, Tampa Two meant to bend but not break. It leaves the middle and sidelines open all the time and offensive coordinators already know how to beat it. Combine that with the fact that our offense has not been productive, this leaves our defense on the field for most of the game. Again, as I stated in a lot of posts. We have a lot of talent, but not the talent needed to run these schemes and we are not deep at all.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I can agree with you on that point, however, you have to look at the play in total. Griff did his job, he kept Hester inside were there was supposed to be help.

Both S's, the one who hesitated on the blitz, thus getting there late, and the one who was supposed to give help were the problem. Not the CB.
    Cutler read the blitz and made the Vikings pay. It was the perfect play call for that defensive play.
    The coverage safety was responsible, not Griffin.
    The blitzing safety would not have got there even if he hadn't hesitated. I suspect he was run blitzing.
    Blitzing is always a gamble. This time we came up snake eyes.
    Coverage safety had to read his side of the field and run a long ways, but it was his responsibility and he should have been there.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Griff has always gave the 10 yard cushion and struggled in man coverage. Before I would still give him slack because I thought he did pretty job of closing the space between him and they guy he was defending. That in my opinion is what is missing. He doesn't react and close as fast.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakout View Post
    Griff has always gave the 10 yard cushion and struggled in man coverage. Before I would still give him slack because I thought he did pretty job of closing the space between him and they guy he was defending. That in my opinion is what is missing. He doesn't react and close as fast.
    I saw a show by a former CB, explaining why the corners line up 7-10 yards deep on receivers, especially in a cover 2.

The corner's are taught to play this way, not because of their lack of speed so much as it is the responsibility they are being given. That is, the corner is not being asked to just cover a receiver that he may lined up against at the beginning of the play, but rather to protect his zone against any play. Another receiver coming into the zone, running back, etc... It's easier to move forward and react then to stop and come forward if you are playing on the line.

By giving the initial 7-10 yard cushion he is in the best position to react to any of these situations. If he come's up close to the line of scrimmage and plays tight to the receiver, then he is essentially becoming a cover corner and not allowed to play his zone as effectively.

Not so much the speed of the player that is dictating the cushion, some would argue that speedier players can actually be more effective by giving an even larger cushion.

Hard to hate on the corner for playing the position the way he is being taught. Not a defense for a corner not making plays, just the cushion they may be giving.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I saw a show by a former CB, explaining why the corners line up 7-10 yards deep on receivers, especially in a cover 2.

The corner's are taught to play this way, not because of their lack of speed so much as it is the responsibility they are being given. That is, the corner is not being asked to just cover a receiver that he may lined up against at the beginning of the play, but rather to protect his zone against any play. Another receiver coming into the zone, running back, etc... It's easier to move forward and react then to stop and come forward if you are playing on the line.

By giving the initial 7-10 yard cushion he is in the best position to react to any of these situations. If he come's up close to the line of scrimmage and plays tight to the receiver, then he is essentially becoming a cover corner and not allowed to play his zone as effectively.

Not so much the speed of the player that is dictating the cushion, some would argue that speedier players can actually be more effective by giving an even larger cushion.

Hard to hate on the corner for playing the position the way he is being taught. Not a defense for a corner not making plays, just the cushion they may be giving.
    I agree with your assessment and that plays right into what I was saying about speed. With that type of cushion and the fact that they may be asked to let one guy go in order to cover another player coming into their one the best way to shrink the holes in that zone is with speed. The quicker you can drop coverage from one player and get to another player in your zone, the more accurate the QB has to be and the margin for error shrinks accordingly. The LB's are much the same. If you have guys that have a better burst of speed they can shrink the zones and make it harder to exploit the holes in the defense.

You example makes it much easier to lay out the case.

BTW- Speed doesn't always mean 100 yard or even 40 yard times. In many cases it is how quick their initial boost is

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I agree with your assessment and that plays right into what I was saying about speed. With that type of cushion and the fact that they may be asked to let one guy go in order to cover another player coming into their one the best way to shrink the holes in that zone is with speed. The quicker you can drop coverage from one player and get to another player in your zone, the more accurate the QB has to be and the margin for error shrinks accordingly. The LB's are much the same. If you have guys that have a better burst of speed they can shrink the zones and make it harder to exploit the holes in the defense.

You example makes it much easier to lay out the case.

BTW- Speed doesn't always mean 100 yard or even 40 yard times. In many cases it is how quick their initial boost is
    Speed (quickness) is good no doubt, makes everything easier. If you're not blessed with speed, then you better have great instincts.

I don't see either from our safeties or LB'ers. But I have a hard time hating on our corners, when I see them constantly compensating for someone else's failures.

Freya is offline Team Alumni
    Bench Griffin and give Webb his spot at CB. Seriously.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12