Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    He's headed to IR if he clears waivers. Not unusually.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Well he is highly unlikely to be claimed, who would take the risk after his first injury, let alone this latest one.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Another wasted pick!!... There were more than a few guys available in the 4th round when we picked Childs... Spielman at it again... Figures... you don't take gambles like that in the 4th round.. that's what 6 and 7th round picks are for...

I bet half the teams in the league didn't even have him on their draft board bc of all the injuries...

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    How many fourth round picks turn out to be studs? Not many. It is a gamble that didnt pay off and isnt that big of a deal. Personally I didnt mind the pick at all, you need to gamble in the draft and the fourth round is a good time to do that.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    How many fourth round picks turn out to be studs? Not many. It is a gamble that didnt pay off and isnt that big of a deal. Personally I didnt mind the pick at all, you need to gamble in the draft and the fourth round is a good time to do that.
    I second that. Too many people always has try to find some negative things to say ("you should only take risk in the 6th or 7th round". Man the WHOEL draft is a risk).
    It's easy to say NOW that drafting Childs was a failure. Which, considering the result, it was. But it still was a very nice pick considering the potential he had, and what he showed when he was healthy in camp.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I liked the pick. Just wished we had addressed WR in the 3rd round with Randle. However, the kids career is not over. This is not a death sentence. Someone get Plaxico on the phone.

MrFlix is offline Training Camp Dynamite Blast 2 Champion
    Tearing it on both knees is pretty hard to recover from, not impossible but still, and you are a certain liability for your team. I hope he has a good recovery.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    Sure it was a gamble, but one we could ill-afford given our needs. The biggest problem with the draft was that we waited until the 4th round to draft a big WR, which was one of our biggest needs.

Given your analysis of 4th round picks, Jarius Wright is a long shot to be a stud WR as well, not to mention he's only 5' 10" so that really doesn't address our big WR needs.

The gamble IMO, is Simpson, who will miss the first 4 games this season. Can he stay clean & out of trouble? Can he be an elite go-to WR & if so, can he does become a FA next year.

I'm not about to let one TD catch with a somersault into the endzone make me label him a great WR like it has done for others.

Jenkins isn't our answer either, so as it stands, we are at least screwed for the first 4 weeks & we still don't have a big WR to rebuild with from the draft.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Sure it was a gamble, but one we could ill-afford given our needs. The biggest problem with the draft was that we waited until the 4th round to draft a big WR, which was one of our biggest needs.

Given your analysis of 4th round picks, Jarius Wright is a long shot to be a stud WR as well, not to mention he's only 5' 10" so that really doesn't address our big WR needs.

The gamble IMO, is Simpson, who will miss the first 4 games this season. Can he stay clean & out of trouble? Can he be an elite go-to WR & if so, can he does become a FA next year.

I'm not about to let one TD catch with a somersault into the endzone make me label him a great WR like it has done for others.

Jenkins isn't our answer either, so as it stands, we are at least screwed for the first 4 weeks & we still don't have a big WR to rebuild with from the draft.
    I think it's just the first 3 games for Simpson.

Childs wasn't going to be the guy you crave this year in any event. If you want a guarantee stud at WR, you have to pay the cash in FA. I don't think that is the right move with where this team is at. We need to be able to develop a few WR's through the draft and maybe sign a longer term FA going into next year. Childs looked like a good pick at the time. Who the hell can predict a double patella tendon tear. People do recover from injuries and go on to have successful careers, and it was only a 4th round gamble. Probably why the picked Wright first.

Simpson is more than likely an upgrade to what we've seen on the outside for some time, but is still relatively unproven. And yes, it's just a one year contract at this point. If he comes out strong, there is a good chance that Spielman will throw out a longer term contract. If not, then he did the right thing on the one year.

Jenkins gets bagged on way too much. He is a reliable possession receiver that has a lot of value to a guy like Ponder who needs to be able to trust his recievers. That is if he can stay healthy.

Between Harvin, Rudolph, Jenkins, Simpson, an improved OL and another year on Ponder, I would expect to see significant improvement in our passing game. Nothing to get crazy about, but a a significant improvement.

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    The Seahawks let Antonio Bryant go. Might he be a possibility for the Vikings? Comments, anyone?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast