Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Greenway gets baptism by fire against Chiefs

Published August 05, 2006 01:14 am

First-round draft choice Chad Greenway got his first true taste of NFL action Friday as the Vikings hosted the Kansas City Chiefs for a two-hour practice session at MSU’s football complex.

[size=18px]Vikings notebook: Greenway gets baptism by fire against Chiefs[/size]
    No. 1 pick gets taste of NFL at joint practice

By Jim Rueda
    The Free Press

MANKATO —

First-round draft choice Chad Greenway got his first true taste of NFL action Friday as the Vikings hosted the Kansas City Chiefs for a two-hour practice session at MSU’s football complex.

The linebacker out of Iowa said it was an exhilarating experience to go up against some other NFL players for the first time.

“It was fun, it was exciting, there was a lot of energy with this crowd,” Greenway said. “It was a chance for me to get my feet wet with somebody else.

“There’s always stuff to learn from every practice. Being a rookie I may have a little bigger gap right now than some people but I’m trying to close it as soon as possible.”

Friday night’s practice session drew more than 8,000 fans to MSU’s Blakeslee Stadium. Although there was limited live contact between the teams, fans of both the Chiefs and Vikings seemed to enjoy the running, passing and punting drills.

Among the highlights for Minnesota were a long punt return by Jason Carter who jumped outside and streaked the right sideline for what would have been a touchdown. Rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson hit Chris Jones for a 30-yard gain in the left flat and veteran running back Ciatrick Fason found a hole on the left side and then zigzagged his way down the field for an apparent 50-yard score.

The Chiefs received a big play from linebacker Kiwaka Mitchell and stepped into the Vikings’ backfield untouched to stop Mewelde Moore for a 2-yard loss. Kansas City safety Jarrad Page also made a nice play, jumping up to knock down a Jackson pass intended Jermaine Wiggins who had slipped behind the secondary.

The Chiefs’ Dee Brown did well on special teams, fielding a Chris Kluwe punt and running it up the middle for a long gainer before getting touched.

“It’s always great to see another colored jersey,” Vikings coach Brad Childress said afterward. “Anytime you get your competitive juices flowing you find out some things about people.

“The thing that we wanted to accomplish was to watch our guys do our stuff the way we’re coaching them to do it. A lot of times technique can go to hell in a handbasket when you get under the bright lights and have a different color jersey in front of you.”

One thing Childress was not happy with Friday was some yellow flags thrown against his team during the workout.

“We need to work on penalties a little bit more.” he said “We had some false starts that, obviously, I didn’t care for.”

Playing football standards, Friday’s joint practice was pretty tame.

Chiefs defensive end Zach Ville took a swing at Vikings guard Steve Hutchinson after losing his helmet during rushing offensive and defensive work. Otherwise the event didn’t have near the fireworks of the teams’ 2003 and 2004 training camp meetings.

“I’m really proud of both teams,” Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. “They displayed good sportsmanship and had a spirited practice. ... It was good competition and fun, and we kept it in line and played football.”

Although neither Edwards nor Vikings coach Brad Childress were around for those previous camps, both stressed the need to keep the practice civil.

“We needed to keep our composure,” Edwards said. “And what Minnesota showed was they kept their composure.”

Accolades for Williamson

Head coach Brad Childress praised the effort of second-year receiver Troy Williamson after Friday’s practice with the Chiefs.

“I thought Troy Williamson did a good job catching the football. He had a couple of tries inside that were in traffic and I was pleased to see him go get the ball.”

Robinson still returning

Koren Robinson joined the Vikings one week into last season, and to get acclimated to the team, and with a solid group of receivers already in place, Robinson was given a shot returning kickoffs.

His impact was almost immediate, finishing the season with 1,221 return yards, second-most in team history, and a 26.0-yard average, which was fourth-best all-time. He scored on an 86-yard kick return in a victory over the New York Giants and was voted to the Pro Bowl.

“Kick-returning is just open field running,” Robinson said. “I go back to playing tailback (in high school), and I know I can run in the open field.”

Robinson said he’s pretty sure he’ll be returning kicks again this season, though he said coach Brad Childress hasn’t told him anything definite.

“Right now, I am,” Robinson said. “But it’s on coach Childress, and it’s on me. I want to do it, but coach doesn’t want me to exert all my energy in kickoff returns.”

Receiver leaves camp

Veteran wide receiver Marcus Robinson had a death in his family Friday and has been given permission to return home. He left after Friday night’s workout and is expected to return for Sunday morning’s practice.

Rookie Charles Gordon, who injured his knee Thursday, watched Friday’s practice on crutches from the sideline. He has been diagnosed with cartilage damage and is expected to have arthroscopic surgery Monday.

Free Press staff writers Shane Frederick and Chad Courrier contributed to this notebook.

Vikings notebook: Greenway gets baptism by fire against Chiefs

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Greenway gets baptism by fire against Chiefs

Another great read Singr thanks for a fact filled Saturday Morning, I think some scrimmage highlights are comming on espn...

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Nice read.. There is alot going on now, and its nice to see we can keep on top of everything.. Thanks singers..

thetrenches68OL is offline Asst. Coach

hope he turns out to be good i hate to see #1 pics bust
    The Trenches are where Games are Decided

Hutch and K. Will baby

sig by PurplePeopleEaters

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

VETERAN running back Ciatrick Fason :duh:

Aren't we using that term alittle loosely? Didn't we just draft him last year and he played a few times?

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

Great Read

Thanks PurpleMafia

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks for that article Singer. I unfortunately wasn't able to attend the scrimmage, so it's nice to read about it even though I couldn't go. I can't wait to get this season started!

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks for the read, Greenway should be fine. It takes rookies a little bit to get the hang of things. Finally there is actually some football to watch tomarrow night.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Great read. Nice to hear that no serious injuries took place as well.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

OnlyVikes is offline Rookie

"sleepagent" wrote:
    VETERAN running back Ciatrick Fason :duh:

Aren't we using that term alittle loosely? Didn't we just draft him last year and he played a few times?
    Haha good point :lol:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast