Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Which is why Moss will probably win. Which is a freaking joke.

IMHO, Alan Page is the winner here, with Ron Yary a close second.

=Z=
    +1 on the original AP
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    hey youngster, there was this guy named Fran
    I am not that young and I saw Fran play. He was a great QB without a doubt. Still, he never had the immediate and lasting impact Moss had while he was here. He did have a longer career but should have retired 3 years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I am not that young and I saw Fran play. He was a great QB without a doubt. Still, he never had the immediate and lasting impact Moss had while he was here. He did have a longer career but should have retired 3 years earlier.
    I know you're not that young PF, just messin' with ya. Thought you would get a chuckle out of it.
    Fran was however, calling the west coast offense before Mr. Walsh invented it. And he did take us to three Super Bowls. And Deacon Jones may disagree with you.
    Last edited by marshallvike; 07-18-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Deacon Jones may disagree with you.
    He is dead.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Which is why Moss will probably win. Which is a freaking joke.

IMHO, Alan Page is the winner here, with Ron Yary a close second.

=Z=
    Alan Page gets my vote as the greatest, his MVP season was one of the greatest individual seasons of all-time. Hall of Fame career, amazing contributor to the history of the NFL (through his Player's Association role), and, an amazing contributor to society. Page has set the bar high in everything he's ever done. I interviewed him for our college newspaper, he was gracious, respectful, and candid...this, after delivering a speech at the University of South Dakota to the students. Page, is an impressive man and was an awesome player.

For me, Bud is #2... The "Greatest Viking" has greater meaning to me than just on field contributions. Several Viking greats built that legacy, none more than Page and Grant...at least in my opinion. Bud's no nonsense approach to the game and to leadership set the stage for many Viking greats to become Hall of Famers and was trend setting. You can definitely make an argument for Bud and Jerry Burns leveraging the talents of Tark by developing the predecessor of the West Coast offense. For those of us that watched the Vikings of the 70's, when Bill Walsh came around and began winning and receiving notoriety (justifiably, a great man, and, a great coach, RIP)...the 49ers offense was eerily similar. They just had a better QB, the greatest WR ever, etc. Anyway, Bud is synonymous to the term "Great Viking."

From there, valid arguments can be made for a myriad of players...Yary, Randle, McDaniel, Peterson, Moss, and, Tark. Based on the aforementioned, Moss drops a bit in my opinion. His impact was awesome, his accomplishments, impressive. But, Moss left twice unceremoniously, took plays off (don't deny it, he didn't), and, bad mouthed the Vikings (well, Childress, but, still).

Ironically, Page left because he and Grant couldn't agree on playing weight. Letting Page go was a big mistake, albeit understandable, by Grant. That, and Page's anger about the release, are forgivable to me in the "Viking Great" category because of the aforementioned.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    I know you're not that young PF, just messin' with ya. Thought you would get a chuckle out of it.
    Fran was however, calling the west coast offense before Mr. Walsh invented it. And he did take us to three Super Bowls. And Deacon Jones may disagree with you.
    Bill Walsh didn't invent the WCO. He was taught it.

Pioneers of the West Coast Offense

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    Alan Page gets my vote as the greatest, his MVP season was one of the greatest individual seasons of all-time. Hall of Fame career, amazing contributor to the history of the NFL (through his Player's Association role), and, an amazing contributor to society. Page has set the bar high in everything he's ever done. I interviewed him for our college newspaper, he was gracious, respectful, and candid...this, after delivering a speech at the University of South Dakota to the students. Page, is an impressive man and was an awesome player.

For me, Bud is #2... The "Greatest Viking" has greater meaning to me than just on field contributions. Several Viking greats built that legacy, none more than Page and Grant...at least in my opinion. Bud's no nonsense approach to the game and to leadership set the stage for many Viking greats to become Hall of Famers and was trend setting. You can definitely make an argument for Bud and Jerry Burns leveraging the talents of Tark by developing the predecessor of the West Coast offense. For those of us that watched the Vikings of the 70's, when Bill Walsh came around and began winning and receiving notoriety (justifiably, a great man, and, a great coach, RIP)...the 49ers offense was eerily similar. They just had a better QB, the greatest WR ever, etc. Anyway, Bud is synonymous to the term "Great Viking."

From there, valid arguments can be made for a myriad of players...Yary, Randle, McDaniel, Peterson, Moss, and, Tark. Based on the aforementioned, Moss drops a bit in my opinion. His impact was awesome, his accomplishments, impressive. But, Moss left twice unceremoniously, took plays off (don't deny it, he didn't), and, bad mouthed the Vikings (well, Childress, but, still).

Ironically, Page left because he and Grant couldn't agree on playing weight. Letting Page go was a big mistake, albeit understandable, by Grant. That, and Page's anger about the release, are forgivable to me in the "Viking Great" category because of the aforementioned.
    Great post MaxVike

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Alan Page: The Greatest Viking Of All Time - Daily Norseman

As it should be. Congrats to Alan Page, well deserved.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Simple fact, I'm a Vikings fan, and Alan Page was a big reason why I love them so much and always have been and still am a Viking Fan. Congrats Alan, you earned the spot.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    It's hard to complain with any of choices here. I guess Viking's fans know their stuff.

It's pretty difficult for us youngsters especially to understand how good Page was given the fact that they didn't even record sacks back then. However, being one of only two defensive players to ever win MVP (and the only defensive lineman) pretty much says it all, coupled with the fact that he's been a really awesome member of our community even after his playing career was over.

The only criticism I can think of would be some of the seeding. For example, how is Jared Allen a 2 and yet Randal McDaniel is a 3 and Yary is a 6? Otherwise though, looking at the way the bracket was, there really weren't any choices that were very questionable at all.
    Last edited by Randy Moss; 08-25-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123