Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Great Udeze Article

[size=13pt]Udeze's fight for life[/size]

Minnesota Vikings defensive end, 26, winning battle against leukemia

By Mike Klingaman | [email protected]
    March 11, 2009

The Minnesota Vikings' Kenechi Udeze sat last night with other hamstrung NFL players, signing autographs at the 31st Ed Block Courage Awards ceremony. The recipients, one from each team, were tabbed for doing battle with a host of hardships, including knee, neck and elbow injuries.

Udeze? He is fighting cancer - and winning. The leukemia that struck down the Vikings' 6-foot-3, 270-pound defensive end last year is in remission. There's no trace of the rare blood disorder that could have killed Udeze, a 2004 first-round draft pick who just turned 26.

"March 5 was my birthday - and so was the day after that and the day after that," the big lineman said. "I'm just happy living life."

Never sick before, the strapping former All-American from Southern California was diagnosed with leukemia in February 2007. He began treatment immediately, undergoing withering rounds of chemotherapy and a life-saving bone marrow transplant from his brother, Thomas Barnes.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Great Udeze Article

Nice article! Udeze is the man
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

huxx is offline Pro-Bowler

Wow...what an inspirational read.
    Even though football's still so important to him (which is amazing) the sport seems so small compared to this battle.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Can't get to it.
    Firewall must not like something on the page.

On a side note, the VikingUpdate (Scout) had a great spread on him in this months issue as well.
    Glad to hear he is coming around and that all signs of the lukemia are gone.

Gives hope to all lukemia (Especially one of our own) patients out there I am sure.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I just say him on TV and he looks a lot smaller. I wonder how long it will take him to get back to football shape and bulk up.

"marstc09" wrote:
    I just say him on TV and he looks a lot smaller. I wonder how long it will take him to get back to football shape and bulk up.
    The scout article actually quotes him as saying he was up over 300lbs and was slimming down/firming up in an effort to get his strenght back.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    The scout article actually quotes him as saying he was up over 300lbs and was slimming down/firming up in an effort to get his strenght back.
    so is he a free agent or not?.. did puttingh im on the IR list last year give us an uncredited year and therefore this is the last year of his contract?
    how does that work?

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    so is he a free agent or not?.. did puttingh im on the IR list last year give us an uncredited year and therefore this is the last year of his contract?
    how does that work?
    He is not a FA.
    Some loophole in a link I provided in the other Udeze thread.
    Gotta run, but if you google for it, you will find it I am sure.
    Thats how I figured it out.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    He doesn't look over 300 lbs.

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    how does that work?
    He is not a free agent.
    His contract was tolled (pushed back a year) when he was put on the non-football injury/illness list last year.
    It's governed by the CBA Article XXXII, section 3 (link):
    Non-Football Injury:
    A player who is placed on a Non-Football Injury or Illness list (“N-F/I”) will not be entitled to any compensation under his contract while on such list but, except as provided below, his contract will continue to run while in such status. A player on N-F/I who is in the final year of his contract (including an option year) will have his contract tolled. However, if the player is physically able to perform his football services on or before the sixth regular season game, the club must pay the player his negotiated salary (pro rata) for the balance of the season in order to toll such player’s contract. If such player is taken off NF/I during the period when such action is allowed by League rules, his contract will not be tolled.
    The Vikings actually did pay him his salary last year, but not because he tried to come back.
    Anyway, the contract got tolled.
    He has one year remaining at the salary level he would have received last year, which is something like $800,000.

In any event, here's hoping he's back and better than ever.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast