Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37
  1. #21
    vikesfargo's Avatar
    vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    600

    Re: Great memory of days gone by-1987 Vikings

    After that year, the decline began. TK was out. Wade Wilson was out. We got rid of all (okay, most of) the defensive studs for no reason. Then we couldn't find a QB anywhere. We had Rich Gannon but traded him because he didn't develop fast enough. Of course, he later went on to win the MVP award--for another team. We lost AC but got CC. During the quarterback merry-go-round, Denny came on, put in the Redskins-style offense, and slowly let the defense slide from greatness to mediocrity to worse. Then our offense got well and we got Randy Moss and almost went to the Super Bowl again. Then we got Daunte but couldn't get all the cylinders firing at once. Then it was the Tice era which had as its greatest accomplishment the trading of the best player on the team. Now here we are, with the WCO again and sparse talent. This is not to retell the ownership and management saga.

    It's Childress's fault! (sarcasm)


    Go Vikings!

  2. #22
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Great memory of days gone by-1987 Vikings

    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    After that year, the decline began. TK was out. Wade Wilson was out. We got rid of all (okay, most of) the defensive studs for no reason. Then we couldn't find a QB anywhere. We had Rich Gannon but traded him because he didn't develop fast enough. Of course, he later went on to win the MVP award--for another team. We lost AC but got CC. During the quarterback merry-go-round, Denny came on, put in the Redskins-style offense, and slowly let the defense slide from greatness to mediocrity to worse. Then our offense got well and we got Randy Moss and almost went to the Super Bowl again. Then we got Daunte but couldn't get all the cylinders firing at once. Then it was the Tice era which had as its greatest accomplishment the trading of the best player on the team. Now here we are, with the WCO again and sparse talent. This is not to retell the ownership and management saga.

    It's Childress's fault! (sarcasm)
    That's because Dungy left for the Tampa Bay HC decision. Not naming him HC that year was one of the biggest mistakes the Vikings organization made.

    The Walker trade was huge (I was over that many years ago), but not naming Dungy HC over Green irked me then & still irks me to this day.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #23
    Boyum is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    41

    Re: Great memory of days gone by-1987 Vikings

    Maybe we can rectify that situation in the future.
    I have a vision of Tony Dungy making a triumphant return to Minnesota to be the first head coach of the Vikings in their fabulous new stadium in or around 2012.

    Go Vikes.

  4. #24
    PurpleTide's Avatar
    PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,210

    Re: Great memory of days gone by-1987 Vikings


    I was living in Sacramento in 1987, and as I sat amongst the stunned 9'er faithfull at a friends house and wearing my purple I totally enjoyed every moment of the thrashing of the heavily favored 49'ers. Anthony Carter destroyed them with a playoff record total combined return/recieving yards that still stands today.(I Think). Just as happy as I was then, I was bumed by our loss to the deadskins the next week. 4th and goal Wilson to Darrin Nelson at the goal line......... Incomplete.
    ARRRGH. Great team great season.

  5. #25
    Boyum is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    41

    Re: Great memory of days gone by-1987 Vikings

    "PurpleTide" wrote:

    I was living in Sacramento in 1987, and as I sat amongst the stunned 9'er faithfull at a friends house and wearing my purple I totally enjoyed every moment of the thrashing of the heavily favored 49'ers. Anthony Carter destroyed them with a playoff record total combined return/recieving yards that still stands today.(I Think). Just as happy as I was then, I was bumed by our loss to the deadskins the next week. 4th and goal Wilson to Darrin Nelson at the goal line......... Incomplete.
    ARRRGH. Great team great season.
    I'll never forget that Redskins game.
    The Vikes took the heavily favored Skins right to the end and held the game in their hands at the end.
    I still can see Joe Gibbs covering his eyes when Wilson dropped back to pass, that's how close we were to getting to that Superbowl.

    Another one we had a good chance of winning, 87 & 98.

  6. #26
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Great memory of days gone by-1987 Vikings

    I have only seen clips and videos of those games.
    Never got to see any of them as they happened.


    I did, however, get to listen to them if they were being broadcast over AFRTS Radio while floating around in the Med onboard the USS Concord (AFS-5).
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #27
    vikesfargo's Avatar
    vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    600

    Re: Great memory of days gone by-1987 Vikings

    "singersp" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    After that year, the decline began. TK was out. Wade Wilson was out. We got rid of all (okay, most of) the defensive studs for no reason. Then we couldn't find a QB anywhere. We had Rich Gannon but traded him because he didn't develop fast enough. Of course, he later went on to win the MVP award--for another team. We lost AC but got CC. During the quarterback merry-go-round, Denny came on, put in the Redskins-style offense, and slowly let the defense slide from greatness to mediocrity to worse. Then our offense got well and we got Randy Moss and almost went to the Super Bowl again. Then we got Daunte but couldn't get all the cylinders firing at once. Then it was the Tice era which had as its greatest accomplishment the trading of the best player on the team. Now here we are, with the WCO again and sparse talent. This is not to retell the ownership and management saga.

    It's Childress's fault! (sarcasm)
    [size=14pt]That's because Dungy left for the Tampa Bay HC decision. Not naming him HC that year was one of the biggest mistakes the Vikings organization made.[/size]

    The Walker trade was huge (I was over that many years ago), but not naming Dungy HC over Green irked me then & still irks me to this day.
    Excactly. Totally. I just wanted to highlight what you said. Maybe also not hiring Tomlinson over Childress.


    Go Vikings!

  8. #28
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Great memory of days gone by-1987 Vikings

    "C" wrote:
    Hell, how about the '87 Twins.

    I lived next-door to Gene Larkin growing up. Great guy.
    God that was a good year for professional sports in Minnesota!
    NOt as good as the 91-92 span though, when we had the world series, the final four and the super bowl!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #29
    DarrinNelsonguy's Avatar
    DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,118

    Re: Great memory of days gone by-1987 Vikings

    My favorite palyer was the RB guy on the team.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

  10. #30
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Great memory of days gone by-1987 Vikings

    "singersp" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    After that year, the decline began. TK was out. Wade Wilson was out. We got rid of all (okay, most of) the defensive studs for no reason. Then we couldn't find a QB anywhere. We had Rich Gannon but traded him because he didn't develop fast enough. Of course, he later went on to win the MVP award--for another team. We lost AC but got CC. During the quarterback merry-go-round, Denny came on, put in the Redskins-style offense, and slowly let the defense slide from greatness to mediocrity to worse. Then our offense got well and we got Randy Moss and almost went to the Super Bowl again. Then we got Daunte but couldn't get all the cylinders firing at once. Then it was the Tice era which had as its greatest accomplishment the trading of the best player on the team. Now here we are, with the WCO again and sparse talent. This is not to retell the ownership and management saga.

    It's Childress's fault! (sarcasm)
    That's because Dungy left for the Tampa Bay HC decision. Not naming him HC that year was one of the biggest mistakes the Vikings organization made.

    The Walker trade was huge (I was over that many years ago), but not naming Dungy HC over Green irked me then & still irks me to this day.
    Tony Dungy left the Vikings to become head coach of TB following the 1995 season.
    In '95, the Vikings were 8-8 in Dennis Green's 4th year as HC.
    This was his first non-winning season.

    I don't believe in any way that the Vikings would have considered firing Denny at this time, even though, in retrospect after 12 years, it appears they might have been better off to have done so.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 08:17 AM
  2. Past or Present: What is your Vikings TD memory
    By kevoncox in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 12:05 PM
  3. Brady's days as a great QB are done
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 08:24 AM
  4. 20 years ago, any similarities to the 1987 Vikings.
    By vikingivan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-21-2007, 06:51 AM
  5. Vikings: Striking memories - The 1987 strike
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 11:17 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •