Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler

Grading Vikings Week 1

Offensive
    Jackson: b- I thought Jackson played poorly in the first half, although the play calling was astrocious. The second half of the game he really showed some poise, and an ability to take a hit and still deliver a solid pass, definatly brought me back to Culpepper a few years ago. His numbers really don't reflect how well he actually did play. There was way to many dropped passes tonight, missed PI calls, and bad play calls for him to shoulder the blame for what happened. He showed his judgement has definatly improved...yes he threw an INT, watch the play it was a good pass that Shianco clearly pulled up on.
    Running Game: b played well in the first half, didn't get enough carries in the second half.
    Recievers: c lot of plays i thought they could have made had they fought a little harder for the ball rather than just praying to catch some flags from the refs
    TE: d route running, and catching was atrocious... If i was going to put the lack of productivity of our offense on anyone it would be these guys. Shianco is the most worthless TE for the amount he's paid, and needs to be replaced. His lack of effort is why the pick was thrown. Had he finished his route, and made an attempt at the ball we would have still been in a position to win that game last night
    Oline: c+ run blocking was decent, and I thought Hicks did a decent job filling in for McKinnie most of the game. Pass blocking could still use a lot of work. Jackson got hit way to frequently
    Passing Game Overall: b- I saw glimpses of where we should be... when we had time to throw and our recievers were catching passes we were very good, but still has a big room for improvement
    Running Game Overall: b definatly looked like our run game last year. Should have stuck with it a bit more in the second half though

Defense
    Dline: b- still no pressure, but run stopping looked good
    Linebackers: b- tackling was solid for the most part, reads at times could have been better
    Secondary: c+ i thought they played well, they kept most plays in front of them. Sharper was off last night, but Griffin looked a lot better. Gave up a lot of completions, but not a lot of YAC per catch, and not a terrible amount of yardage
    Pass Defense Overall: c
    Run Defense Overall: b-

Special Teams
    kluwe: C+ if not for the line drive that resulted in a touchdown this would be an A... had a good game except for one mistake
    Longwell: A did exactly what he was asked, made field goals and xp
    coverage teams: c can't give up the sidelines... nuff said

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Grading Vikings Week 1

Excellent work, thank and SKOL!

Another pretty good assessment.

funkyasflea is offline Pro-Bowler

Special Teams:
    D, nice to see a blocked field goal...but NEVER give up the sidelines to a punt return!
    How hard is it to give him a nudge out of bounds?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    That return set me off!
    Terrible.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

I'd say, overall a "C"... but it's nice to know that we can have a chance to win at the end while performing at "C" level.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

funkyasflea is offline Pro-Bowler

"C" wrote:
    I'd say, overall a "C"... but it's nice to know that we can have a chance to win at the end while performing at "C" level.
    Very true, I don't think anyone has put this much into consideration.
    We played very poorly, but we were right in there at the end.
    Good point.
    We have potential for a lot more, let us hope we find that "lot more" before Sunday.

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

You can grade T-Jack's progression by two throws.
    The throw in the end zone that would have clearly been 6 points to Sydney Rice, and the overthrow to Shiancoe at the end of the game.
    I do have to say that the catch by Shiancoe earlier was a catch.
    Any other time they call that a catch.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"funkyasflea" wrote:
    Special Teams:
    D, nice to see a blocked field goal...but NEVER give up the sidelines to a punt return!
    How hard is it to give him a nudge out of bounds?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    That return set me off!
    Terrible.
    While I agree with what you say the real blame here has to be on Kluwe. He hit a line drive punt rather than punting the ball high and letting defenders get underneath it. As soon as I saw the way that punt took off I knew we were in trouble.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler

Shianco pulled up on his route way to early, that "overthrow" would have likely been a completion had he kept running... The pass to Rice was on the other hand an overthrow. Mills also had several drops, the play on the sideline where the ball went through his hands on what would have been a 20 yard gain is the one that most notably comes to mind

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"vike_mike" wrote:
    The throw in the end zone that would have clearly been 6 points to Sydney Rice, and the overthrow to Shiancoe at the end of the game.
    No, the refs made the right call on that. Any time the defender hits the receiver at the same instant as (or before) the receiver's second foot comes down, the receiver is considered "going to the ground" on the catch, and therefore has to retain possesion once they hit the ground. Shiancoe's elbow hit the ground, the ball popped out, incomplete catch.

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

"josdin00" wrote:
    "vike_mike" wrote:
    No, the refs made the right call on that. Any time the defender hits the receiver at the same instant as (or before) the receiver's second foot comes down, the receiver is considered "going to the ground" on the catch, and therefore has to retain possesion once they hit the ground. Shiancoe's elbow hit the ground, the ball popped out, incomplete catch.
    I was at the game on the opposite end of the field so I could be mistaken here but...
    It looked as though Shiancoe caught it and was sitting down?
    Is this right or not because if it is, as soon as the defender touches him he should be down and it should be a catch?
    Just a thought please inform me either way thanks!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast