Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Grading Vikings' Brad Childress at midterm

And on top of all that, why do we keep second guessing Childress's decisions? MOST of them have worked out. Sure we are only 4-5 right now, but if you look at the other rookie coaches he's doing just as well if not better.

Let's take a look at his "controversial" decisions (meaning the shit we argued about over the off-season)...

Trade Culpepper: Push
    C-Pep sucked early on for the 'Phins, and he wouldn't even be playing if he WERE in Minnesota. So really, we'd be in the same position that we are now with Brad as the starter. I admit, at this point it doesn't look like Brad is much of an upgrade, but there's no evidence to say that we'd be better if Daunte were on this team.

Sign Chester Taylor: +
    Chester has had a great year, and has really been the only consistent player on this entire team. There were a lot of people that bashed this signing, saying we should have gone after Edgerrin James or someone in the draft, but the guy is 4th or 5th in the NFL in rushing. You can't dispute that.

Sign Steve Hutchinson: + (kinda)
    Hutch has been pretty good in the running game this year, but the pass blocking has been REALLY bad at times. Although, it's hard to say we'd be better WITHOUT Hutch.

Draft Tarvaris Jackson: + (maybe)
    A lot of people (including myself) bashed this pick at first, but from what we've seen in preseason Tarvaris has some potential. The jury is still out on this one, but from initial returns, things look good.

Sign Ben Leber: +
    A lot of people ripped this pick, but he's been one of our most influential defensive players this year and seems to fit really well into this system.

Move Napo to MLB: +
    Unfortunately, he's hurt right now, but he seems to fit really well at that position. He's had a very solid year so far.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, and of course this is all my opinion, but I think a lot of his decisions have turned out well, even the ones we've second guessed.

Don't rip Brad too hard, it's his first season and usually you get 3 years to show what you're made of. Mike Tice got 4, was never any better than average and some people were STILL clamoring for him to stay. So why is it that we're so convinced that Brad is a horrible coach and he should be canned? Give the man more than 10 weeks to show what he's made of.

williamsontothebench is offline Training Camp

why did we not go awfter Schwab?
    Why did Childress not make a move to improve the qb spot.
    Childress knew damn well that he did not want any part of Daunte.
    I think he has made to many mistakes.
    A offensive cordinator is needed!
    Brad needs to quit calling any plays.
    He is terrible.

"williamsontothebench" wrote:
    why did we not go awfter Schwab?
    Why did Childress not make a move to improve the qb spot.
    Childress knew gol 'darnit well that he did not want any part of Daunte.
    I think he has made to many mistakes.
    A offensive cordinator is needed!
    Brad needs to quit calling any plays.
    He is terrible.
    He would have had to give something up for Schaub last year. This year, he can just sign him out of FA rather than give up a draft pick for him.

Childress's play calling is hurting us more than anything else right now.
    He needs to stop calling pussy, conservative.
    He will not surprise anyone rushing every single first and second down.
    Expecting the run you can stop it.
    Then when you are 3rd and 10 one must pass the patented wussy checkdown instead of throwing deeper then 3 yuards when you need 6.

We can solve poverty today.

"thanatoschristou" wrote:
    Childress's play calling is hurting us more than anything else right now.
    He needs to stop calling "meow", conservative.
    He will not surprise anyone rushing every single first and second down.
    Expecting the run you can stop it.
    Then when you are 3rd and 10 one must pass the patented wussy checkdown instead of throwing deeper then 3 yuards when you need 6.

Actually, Del posted the stats on here the other day, and we've actually run the ball abut 50% of the time on first down and passed the other 50.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I would give him a D-.

He was regarded as getting the best off season job here in Minny. We had just went on a 7-2 streak that included sweeping the Packers and beating the Bears (without alot of their starters). We had plenty of good draft picks and more money than anybody to spend in free agency. We did not need to rebuild the whole team, but did need to have discipline and fill a few vital needs.

As far as I know he was given every tool he needed to win and got the players he wanted to run his team.

As a head coach he is acountable for everything that happens and right now he is putting a team on the field that is not beating teams they should beat. And if we played the teams again that we have beaten I am not confident we could beat them again. To me that is not a good sign.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

He just dropped from a C to a D in my opinion after this loss...he needs to find a way to win these games...namely get the offense jumpstarted.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

runtheball is offline Training Camp

I think Childress has made some mistakes but like Rumsfeld says " You go to war with the army that you have" Offensively our "army" is weak. You look back over the years the Vikes have always been known for Good QB's and receivers.
    Rashad, Sammy White, Anthony Carter, Chris Carter, Moss ,. Now our receivers are poor handed rookies, retreads or injury prone. Couple this with the fact Johnson is immobile and arm is failing , what do you do ? You run the ball , play field position and try to keep it close for 1 big play to win the game. Which is exactly what Childress is doing. Maybe our record does not reflect it but we are a better team than last year, man for man compared to last year we are better but are still missing a couple vital pieces, Childress will get those pieces, ( top shelf reciever, QB, and help for right side of O -Line) and we are a team to be reckoned with.

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

"runtheball" wrote:
    I think Childress has made some mistakes but like Rumsfeld says " You go to war with the army that you have" Offensively our "army" is weak. You look back over the years the Vikes have always been known for Good QB's and receivers.
    Rashad, Sammy White, Anthony Carter, Chris Carter, Moss ,. Now our receivers are poor handed rookies, retreads or injury prone. Couple this with the fact Johnson is immobile and arm is failing , what do you do ? You run the ball , play field position and try to keep it close for 1 big play to win the game. Which is exactly what Childress is doing. Maybe our record does not reflect it but we are a better team than last year, man for man compared to last year we are better but are still missing a couple vital pieces, Childress will get those pieces, ( top shelf reciever, QB, and help for right side of O -Line) and we are a team to be reckoned with.
    i agree with 100% of that post. the thing is (like you said) those peices are VITAL. our offense has a few weapons, but for the most part are lacking those vital peices.

Anyone heard from Ziggy Wilf, the man behind the decision to get Childress and no offensive playmakers, and cut Daunte but not other notorious sex boater Smoot?
    I give childress a D- as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast