ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Grading the Season

"kjdaddy" wrote:
    D is playing well dude.
    Can't...can not run on us.
    Secondary not as well but much better than a grade of "D"
    The D is playing well?
    In which game?
    Lets not sit here and breakdown Pass and Rub D, but look at it as a whole.

So, now they are not playing well.
    We are swiss cheese.
    Sure, we can stop the run but look how many teams decided not to even run...and still beat us.

Ok, maybe a C-

Redmption is offline Pro-Bowler

"The" wrote:
    "Redmption" wrote:
    Yeah a D grade. What has stopping the Run done for the Vikes when they get the ball thrown on them all day long?? Who cares about setting a defensive record for rushing defense if its still not stopping teams from winning. Even all the experts out there say having such a good run D hurts the team because the opponents just pass all day long since the Vikes cant stop it. Like I said only half the the defense is good. 50% grade on anything is an F, so a D is generous
    LMAO!

What "experts?" I'm sorry, but no one would say that having a kickass rushing d is going to hurt you overall. I don't deny that our passing defense needs to improve drastically, but it will involve a pass rush, better DB coverage, and better linebacker coverage. Just one of these three aspects won't cut it.
    I have heard it all over the place and it makes sense and the Patriots proved it. The run D is so good why bother running on it when you can pass on them all day. Hence the run D being so good just exposes the terrible pass D and in effect makes having a good run D a bad thing.

A+ for run D, F for pass D. Overall its still an F because it didnt matter how good the run D was if they could just pass the ball with ease. And regardless of TDs allowed and the Vikings ranking well in that area, it only takes one point to win, and greenbay proved they didnt need to score TDs, just field goals, to win the game.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"Redmption" wrote:
    "The" wrote:
    "Redmption" wrote:
    Yeah a D grade. What has stopping the Run done for the Vikes when they get the ball thrown on them all day long?? Who cares about setting a defensive record for rushing defense if its still not stopping teams from winning. Even all the experts out there say having such a good run D hurts the team because the opponents just pass all day long since the Vikes cant stop it. Like I said only half the the defense is good. 50% grade on anything is an F, so a D is generous
    LMAO!

What "experts?" I'm sorry, but no one would say that having a kickass rushing d is going to hurt you overall. I don't deny that our passing defense needs to improve drastically, but it will involve a pass rush, better DB coverage, and better linebacker coverage. Just one of these three aspects won't cut it.
    I have heard it all over the place and it makes sense and the Patriots proved it. The run D is so good why bother running on it when you can pass on them all day. Hence the run D being so good just exposes the terrible pass D and in effect makes having a good run D a bad thing.

A+ for run D, F for pass D. Overall its still an F because it didnt matter how good the run D was if they could just pass the ball with ease. And regardless of TDs allowed and the Vikings ranking well in that area, it only takes one point to win, and greenbay proved they didnt need to score TDs, just field goals, to win the game.
    OK, let me see if I understand this logic:

You have something, in this case a defense, which I'll refer to as D. Half of D is the best there is. The other half of D is pretty weak. When you use this D on others, these opponents exploit the weak half because the other half is the best there is.
    Therefore, having one half be the best is actually bad because the other half is weak.

Huh?
    ???

Hello everyone i haven't been on this website in a loooong time!! After watching yesterday's pathetic performance for a football game i decided to get some things off my chest. I know that most of the stuff that i will go over has been posted in other places, but i am in school right now and i dont have to to search through the forums for related threads. So here i go:

1) I am glad we got rid of Brad Johnson, but let Tarvaris play!! I can understand Childress not wanting Jackson to be rushed into this starting position but you cant keep a rookie QB from playing when you bring him in at the end of the season when the playoffs are on the line!! At this point you cant make sure you are over working a QB when we need him to make plays!!!

2) Trade Troy Williamson while he is still worth something!! All year long my father and I have been in pain watching this guy play football!! He is terrible, and after watching his garbage performance last night (i.e. the first deep pass to him in the game) i think we should just dump this trash at the curb while somebody still would give a decent pick for him.

3) DRAFT OPTIONS: i dont know who everyone else is talking about for a first round pick but since we dont have any WR that can take over and be a star i believe, if we lose out, we can get a good enough pick to maybe get a top notch pick, maybe Ted Ginn JR.

4) Childress calling plays: We should just take away the little card that Childress uses and hire someone that can call a good plays!!
    ALL YEAR LONG he calles stupid little check down plays to underneath WR on 3rd and 7 that only gains us like 5 or 6!!! DOES HE NOT REALIZE THAT WE NEED A FIRST DOWN!!!

Now for the good...

1) The defense (not the pass defense): i am very excited about this Defense, i know that we are ranked 29th in the pass, but losing Tank Williams and a speedster at LB Chad Greenway took a big bite out of our secondary. I think we should just cut our losses with Fred Smoot, bench Dwight Smith, and bring Tank Williams back and put in Cedric Griffin who in my opinion would be a great compliment to Winfield (WHO SHOULD BE A PROBOWLER!!!).

2) I know there are some people, like my dad, that thinks this offensive line is doing bad and Hutchinson isn't "getting the job done" but what people dont realize is that Childress has put in this new zone blocking scheme that is very different to everyone on the offensive line, even Hutchinson, who played in a West Coast offense, doesn't know this scheme, i think if Chester Taylor can get healthy (and stay healthy) and another year of this zone blocking scheme, this can be a good rush first defense.

Thanks for listening to my opinion and i will be back later, once i get home from school and reply to any of your comments.

and remember if we dont like Brad Childress, we can always promote Mike Tomlin, who I think is a good coach and could be a great head coach in a few years!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

Childress F

Offenses D, would be an F but for Chester

Special Teams D-

Defense C- Run stopping is nice but gotta have a pass rush and some cover guys. Winfield and Phat should be in the pro bowl. The bend but dont break D should have allowed us to win more ga,es if Childress knew wtf he was doing. Tomlin will only get better, maybe in time to be our new HC?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123