Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Eyedea is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Grading the Season

Just to clearify some thing, I do NOT think Childress should be fired after his first year.
    It is expected that he would make some mistakes.
    Firing Childress would be like releasing Jackson after last nights game.
    Make love to the present, fuck the past
    --Sage Francis

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

Coaching: C-
    Childress had a tough time with this offense.
    It is clear he did not call a lot of plays in Philly.
    And I blame him completely for a crap offense with no power and reliability.

Offense: F
    we need a lot of
    everything.
    CHester Taylor was a good pickup.
    Our Oline should have killed but didn't.

Defense: A- Runstop!
    Need help other than winfield and sharper out back.

Overall: C

Redmption is offline Pro-Bowler

Yeah a D grade. What has stopping the Run done for the Vikes when they get the ball thrown on them all day long?? Who cares about setting a defensive record for rushing defense if its still not stopping teams from winning. Even all the experts out there say having such a good run D hurts the team because the opponents just pass all day long since the Vikes cant stop it. Like I said only half the the defense is good. 50% grade on anything is an F, so a D is generous

williamsbros9394 is offline Waterboy

"Redmption" wrote:
    Yeah a D grade. What has stopping the Run done for the Vikes when they get the ball thrown on them all day long?? Who cares about setting a defensive record for rushing defense if its still not stopping teams from winning. Even all the experts out there say having such a good run D hurts the team because the opponents just pass all day long since the Vikes cant stop it. Like I said only half the the defense is good. 50% grade on anything is an F, so a D is generous
    ??? Their defense is top 10 in rush, total, scoring and takewaways? they constantly might give up a lot of yards but make plays to contain the teams to field goals. They also NEVER get sufficent offensive support and field position.
    We get scored on almost as much as by int, fumble, punt or kickoff returns then the defensive scores. Only two games this year i can blame on the defense and thats the Jets and the Patriots the rest is because of horrible offensive perfomances and bad coaching.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I give the defense a B- and the offense gets a swift kick in the butt.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"Redmption" wrote:

Defense- D: The rush defense is the only thing keeping this from an F. Pass defense... Doesnt even get a grade since it is non-existent. Wasnt Tomlin a DB coach before here?? How does this pass D looks so bad then? (See coaching) The fact that Driver was running a muck last night whenever he wanted shows Tomlin is a terrible defensive coordinator. Pretty much anyone could have made this rushing D what it is with Big Pat/Kevin and the LBs finally playing well. This is the most disappointing part of the team, even more so than the offense. Seeing Mr. INT (Farve) carve the D up like that for the second game of the season is inexcusable.
    -Seven teams scored more than 20 Points on this defense this year. Only one scored more than 30. Last night, only 9 were scored; none of them touchdowns. I hardly think that the defense hasn't put this team in a position to win.
    -While the passing defense has looked shaky this year, it is as much a lack of QB pressure as it is coverage abilities. Go back to last nights game and count how long Favre had to throw; it seemed like minutes after each snap. So you cannot blame all of this on coverage schemes and DB's.
    -Driver had 99 yards receiving and zero touchdowns. Hardly "running amuck" (sic.-the correct spelling is "amok").
    -Pat and Kevin Williams have certainly been given most of the credit for the stout rushing defense, and rightfully so, but I'm pretty sure that the Linebacking corps has had as many tackles as the two tackles. So saying that anyone could have made the defense stout against the run with those two is fallacious at best.
    -"Mr. INT (Farve)" threw two interceptions last night, completed just one more than half of his passes for 285 yards, and had no touchdowns. But appparently our defense got carved up.

Basically I couldn't disagree with you more regarding the defense. As to your first two points about the offense and coaching, well, I don't think the coaching gets and F, but my reasoning is based more in opinion than fact, so I'll just leave it lie.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"Redmption" wrote:
    LMAO!

What "experts?" I'm sorry, but no one would say that having a kickass rushing d is going to hurt you overall. I don't deny that our passing defense needs to improve drastically, but it will involve a pass rush, better DB coverage, and better linebacker coverage. Just one of these three aspects won't cut it.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    My god, sometimes I wonder if you people are just doing this to stir up the pot or if you're honestly serious.

The coaching staff is not an F. This is a first year head coach. Every great coach had a bad first year. You just have to rebuild first to get to greatness. The offense is horrible. What can Childress do at this point when the receivers aren't catching the ball or getting seperation? I'm sure he has tried to coach that but we just don't have the talent.

The defense, a D? WE HAVE THE SECOND BEST RUSH DEFENSE EVER. A FRICKEN D???

I know it's hard for some people to see, but this is a rebuilding year. We had high hopes but cmon. Give the coaching staff a pass. If they are terrible next year, start calling for heads.
    Thank you PPE. I was about to lose my friggen mind.

Toro is offline Rookie

Run defense A+
    Pass defense D+
    Offense F
    Special teams C
    Coaching F

Overall D+
    "This is a kick-ass offense" - BC

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

So marks ou fourth straight rebuilding year.... I would grade the coaching an F, granted they were all new coaches, but at least the other new coaches IMPROVED over the year. Childress stuck to his same shitty scheme even though it was obvious it would not work. It's not good when my dad and I were able to pick almost every singly play (with near 100% accuracy on third down).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast