Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Redmption is offline Pro-Bowler

Grading the Season

Coaching- F: I thought Childress has just been holding back because of Brads limitations but last night it showed he is a terrible play caller. Three straight passes instead of ending the half caused the Wackers to score three more points. Then three straight passes when TJ is standing in his own end zone is crazy for a rookie. Then the penalites... Leading the league in them is pathetic. All this talk about a over the top training camp and vets complaining it was too tough. Well apparently not tough enough. There was a thread on here that said that Tice is better than Childress at this point, and I 100% agree. I think Tice could have gotten this group to the playoffs. Then there is Tomlin. Great defensive line coach? Yes. Great defensive coordinator? Hell No! After 15 games you still cant figure out that your pass defense schemes arent working?? Only getting it half right, run/pass, still equals a fail.

Offense- (Is there something worse than F?) Chester Taylor is the only bright spot here. Hes taken a beating over the season and he proved a lot of people wrong.
    The offensive line has gotten better since the beginning of the year but it still allows way too many sacks and their run blocking still could use a lot of work. Childress should bring back Loney from AZ to coach these guys. WR's are flat out terrible. Drops all day long, bad route running (How do they not know where the 1st down marker is??) no breaks from the CBs...Does Torry Holt run a childrens football camp? Maybe they could learn a few things.

Defense- D: The rush defense is the only thing keeping this from an F. Pass defense... Doesnt even get a grade since it is non-existent. Wasnt Tomlin a DB coach before here?? How does this pass D looks so bad then? (See coaching) The fact that Driver was running a muck last night whenever he wanted shows Tomlin is a terrible defensive coordinator. Pretty much anyone could have made this rushing D what it is with Big Pat/Kevin and the LBs finally playing well. This is the most disappointing part of the team, even more so than the offense. Seeing Mr. INT (Farve) carve the D up like that for the second game of the season is inexcusable.

Needs- WRs, DBs, Real Defensive Coordinator, New O play caller, maybe a Vet QB to help TJ develope or take the reins until he is ready.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Grading the Season

Grading this and every other thread that is calling for the heads of our coaching staff already: F

Seriously, one season does not a legacy make...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Im somewhat pleased with the outcome this season....

We found what we need to work on in the offseason, and to me I never thought we would come close to making the playoffs.

WE WERE IN REBUILDING MODE THIS YEAR!
    A WHOLE NEW COACHING STAFF!

kjdaddy is offline Pro-Bowler

D is playing well dude.
    Can't...can not run on us.
    Secondary not as well but much better than a grade of "D"

CaptainKirk is offline Training Camp

This team needs so much work that it makes you wonder if Childress is the right man for the job.
    Tice at least got some performance out of the players.
    Childress can't seem to inspire anything.
    I also thought that the offensive line was supposed to be made up of supermen.
    Looks like they've got Kryptonite in their jocks instead of balls.

This team flunks all aspects of play this year.
    Oh yeah!
    Maybe Childress should leave the play calling up to the O coach.

Eyedea is offline Pro-Bowler

"SharperVikings" wrote:

We found what we need to work on in the offseason, and to me I never thought we would come close to making the playoffs.

I know this will open up a huge discussion, but WHY are we in a rebuilding year?
    We were 9-7 last year, winning 7 of the last 9 games!
    It seemed to me that the team was beginging to gel with all the big free agents, beliving in Tice's system.
    But then they decided to start over?!?!
    If Tice was our coach, we would be in the playoffs.
    I'm not jumping on Tice's bandwagon now, you can look back on all my posts and see I didn't want Tice to leave after finishing the year so strong
    Make love to the present, fuck the past
    --Sage Francis

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Eyedea" wrote:
    "SharperVikings" wrote:

I know this will open up a huge discussion, but WHY are we in a rebuilding year?
    It seemed to me that the team was beginging to gel with all the big free agents, beliving in Tice's system.
    I'm not jumping on Tice's bandwagon now, you can look back on all my posts and see I didn't want Tice to leave after finishing the year so strong
    that is an assumption, and a pretty wild one at that.
    Even if tice were our coach, we would have lost K-Ro.
    Probably lost Burly.
    Wouldn't have Chester Taylor.
    He would be facing the same problems with personnel that Childress is.

Tice never coached strongly.
    He was incredibly sporadic, and his wins were as much luck as they were coaching.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Eyedea" wrote:
    "SharperVikings" wrote:

Why do you say they would be in the playoffs if Tice were the coach?
    He had four seasons as the coach and made the playoffs ONE FRIGGING TIME - and THAT was the year he had the top scoring offense in the NFL.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Eyedea is offline Pro-Bowler

Can you answer me this question:
    Which team had the better players?

Childress's:
    Chester Taylor
    Richardson
    Hutchinson
    Leber
    Birk (was hurt last year)
    Smith

I have to say that Childress has the better players, with 2 pro bowlers that were not on the team last year or were injured.

I am not saying Tice is the better coach.
    I'm also not saying Childress is teh better coach.
    I'm saying that if we would have kept the same system with the same core players (maybe add some free agents like the ones BC brought in), they were have had a better chance at making the playoffs than bringing in a new coach and starting over.
    Make love to the present, fuck the past
    --Sage Francis

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

My god, sometimes I wonder if you people are just doing this to stir up the pot or if you're honestly serious.

The coaching staff is not an F. This is a first year head coach. Every great coach had a bad first year. You just have to rebuild first to get to greatness. The offense is horrible. What can Childress do at this point when the receivers aren't catching the ball or getting seperation? I'm sure he has tried to coach that but we just don't have the talent.

The defense, a D? WE HAVE THE SECOND BEST RUSH DEFENSE EVER. A FRICKEN D???

I know it's hard for some people to see, but this is a rebuilding year. We had high hopes but cmon. Give the coaching staff a pass. If they are terrible next year, start calling for heads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast