Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,262

    Grading the Last 10 Drafts

    Grading the Minnesota Vikings' Last 10 Drafts

    Grading the Minnesota Vikings' Last 10 Drafts | Bleacher Report

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,055
    Nice read. It makes me absolutely sick to my stomach knowing the names of some of the players from that 2005 draft that we could have had instead of Williamson and James. Man alive this team dropped the ball big time on that one.

    On a side note, the 2007 draft with Adrian Peterson would have been a A grade for me if he was the only one we drafted that year.

    Lets hope this draft is as solid as the 07 and 12 drafts, and that the players we take in 13 days will be start players for us for years to come.

  3. #3
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,906
    Basically every draft looks golden the year it happens. Give it a couple and then we will see what the 2012 draft really had and who we missed in the 4th round. Still would have liked us to draft Dennard and Burfict in the 7th.

  4. #4
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,543
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Basically every draft looks golden the year it happens. Give it a couple and then we will see what the 2012 draft really had and who we missed in the 4th round. Still would have liked us to draft Dennard and Burfict in the 7th.
    No, the Draft that the Vikes passed on Marcus Allen to Draft Darrin Nelson looked like shit, as I watched in horror...

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  5. #5
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Basically every draft looks golden the year it happens. Give it a couple and then we will see what the 2012 draft really had and who we missed in the 4th round. Still would have liked us to draft Dennard and Burfict in the 7th.
    No, the Draft that the Vikes passed on Marcus Allen to Draft Darrin Nelson looked like shit, as I watched in horror...
    Amen.
    That has to be in the top5of my all time WTF Vikings moments. The only thing more bizarre was the explanation they gave after drafting him.

  6. #6
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692
    This guy has some selective memory issues. He's trying to make points from years past just to match his grade assigned. I do agree with most of his grading, though.

    To say Guion is a serviceable starter, but Kenechi Udeze was lackluster isn't fair. To say Robison has had a "very nice career" while Cedric Griffin and Ray Edwards just "showed flashes" is stupid. Saying Kaepernick was a better pick than Ponder, but Crabtree hasn't shown much is ignorant.

    Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but I wouldn't change a thing before 2007. If we have an A+ draft in 2005, I doubt we're in position to take Peterson in 2007.

  7. #7
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Basically every draft looks golden the year it happens. Give it a couple and then we will see what the 2012 draft really had and who we missed in the 4th round. Still would have liked us to draft Dennard and Burfict in the 7th.
    Applying the lens of hindsight can make any draft look bad. Looking at the 4th round pick and selectively picking out other players who were available and turned out better is wrong. Not only because the comparative players may or may not have performed the same way if they were on a different team, but also because there is always risk involved with picking players, and by definition you just don't know how it will turn out.

    If you want to retroactively grade a draft, the only way to do so with any reliability is to grade the performance of each of the players that the team picked, not by grading the players who the team did NOT pick.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #8
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,906
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Applying the lens of hindsight can make any draft look bad. Looking at the 4th round pick and selectively picking out other players who were available and turned out better is wrong. Not only because the comparative players may or may not have performed the same way if they were on a different team, but also because there is always risk involved with picking players, and by definition you just don't know how it will turn out.

    If you want to retroactively grade a draft, the only way to do so with any reliability is to grade the performance of each of the players that the team picked, not by grading the players who the team did NOT pick.
    I have agree with your statement but the other half is head scratching...
    1. As time passes, it gets easier to say a draft wasn't a good one when you compare it to a draft of the prior season. For example... Wright is looking like a hit right now because he had what... 300 yard REC and 2 tds? Right now people will say that was a hit but in 3 years those numbers will be considered a I miss. That's all I was saying... but you can't say you can't look at some of the players we missed on because that is part of grading a draft... However, it is important to keep our needs at the time in perspective.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •