View Poll Results: What grade do you give the Vikings 2013 roster?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • A (elite team)

1 7.69%
  • B (good team)

12 92.31%
  • C (half-decent team)

0 0%
  • D (one of the worst teams)

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love the kid, but what "Impact" did Harrison have last year?

Sitting back in his zone waiting for a bad pass, keeping the receiver in front of him like he should in the C2 scheme.

Minnesota Vikings DB Harrison Smith pick six - NFL Videos

Against the PUKERs, he or Sanford could have got this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfNivRbbgfg

If memory serves, other highlights are a sack strip on Schaub and a bad pass/int vs the cards that Whinny could have got as well.

Again, I love the kid, love the way he plays, but lets not over inflate what he does just to be let down when he doesn't live up to the "Hype" this year.
    Harrison did have a big impact on our defense backfield, whether you choose to believe it or not.

The Vikings have had some great safeties over the years, such as Hall of Famer Paul Krause, who came to the Vikings in a great trade with the Redskins back in 1968, first-round draft choice Joey Browner, Robert Griffith and Darren Sharper, who became a Viking after being a longtime Packer.

I have followed the Vikings closely since their inception. And I'm confident no Vikings safety has had as good of a rookie year as first-round pick Harrison Smith.

He is one of the big reasons the Vikings are much improved defensively.
    Hartman: Harrison Smith best Vikings rookie safety ever | StarTribune.com
    Last edited by singersp; 05-13-2013 at 07:18 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    I don't know how your thought of method is for grading the safeties, and I didn't watch 88 safeties play last year. What I do know is that last year I saw a rookie safety who displayed impressive smarts, toughness, skills, and athleticism in all phases of the game. In fact, I think me labeling Harrison Smith as "solid" is an understatement. He played way better than what I hoped for and there's a reason why people say he's the best safety we have had in many years already.

As for the other safety position, I described it as questionable mostly because the position is pretty much up for grabs. Mistral Raymond was the starter in the beginning of last season, but got injured. Jamarca Sanford was pushed into the role and played better than anticipated. I love Sanford's aggressiveness and tackling ability, and Raymond can be a good overall safety, but he's a bit undersized and a little injury prone.

Back to your grades there, I hope your not one of those who blindly follows the ProFootballFocus because everyone should know their grading system is flawed!

For example: Harrison Smith as always trying his best to be around the ball which in turn puts himself in situation where it's difficult to make a tackle. ProFootballFocus marks it as an missed tackle, not considering that an average safety might not even be fast or smart enough to put him into position to attempt the tackle. Should Harrison be punished by slowing the running back down?

That's why grading a player on strictly numbers is imperfect. As someone already pointed out: eyeball test my friend.
    Keep in mind that same grading system told us that Ryan Cook was a good RT and that TJ was a good QB so you need to parse the results carefully.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Each part of the roster is assigned a grade on a scale from "A" to" D".
    "A+" is equal to the very best in the NFL and "D-" is equal to the very worst.

I base the evaluation heavily on previous performance of the players, but also partly on realistic predictions.

Quarterback: C (sorry Ponder)
    Halfback: A+ (best there is!)
    Fullback: A-
    Wide receiver: C (Only one really proven)
    Tight end: B+
    Outside offensive lineman: A
    Inside offensive lineman: B

The whole offense: B+
    I was gonna give a slightly lower grade because the QB is so important, but then I realized we managed to make a successful playoff run on pretty much the running game alone (no pun intended). Amazing what AD can do.

Safety: B (Harrison is solid, but the other spot is questionable)
    Cornerback: B
    Linebacker: B (many question marks because of big makeover at Mike and Will)
    Outside defensive lineman: A+ (No team has better 4-3 ends!)
    Inside defensive lineman: A

The whole defense: A-
    The bad: Big question marks exist on all position groups except defensive end and mostly because of limited starting experience in the NFL.
    The good: The defense will most likely feature 3 rookie starters with immense potential.

Kicker: A+ (Best in the bizz!)
    Punter: B+ (rookie starter, but was great in college)
    Returner: A- (Patterson can return both punts and kickoffs)

The whole special teams: A

- - - - - -

The complete team: A-

Afterthought: The final overall grade equals well to how the Vikings finished last year, but I think the Vikes will be much better now. I feel that I'm being a little harsh on the newcomers this year as I think there's a good chance they'll play better than I gave them credit for in the grades. Plus, the depth is no very good so lets wish for a healthy season for our players.

I seriously think the team will go from good to elite if all the rookies plays to the potential they have shown in college. We have an astonishing amount of rookies that might be future All-Pro's.

I'm super-excited for the Vikings in 2013!

What's your opinion on the Vikings' team this year. Feel free to leave your breakdown on here as well.
    My biggest disagreemetn is LB and Inside Dlinemen. No way I would give our LBs a B especially when th emost improtant LB hasn't even been established. I would say a C until we know who is going to man the middle. OUr inside D-linemen B- Williams isn't what he was and name another that is desrving of an A grade. Cornerback is another high grade I couldn't give our CBs and higher than a B- and My crade would be a C. Who do we have that is above average in coverage? Cook, maybe?

Our D is a C+ maybe a B- tops. We have a lot of work to get to be an A defensive team IMO.

The O is ranked pretty well, I think a little high at some pos. bit overall good analysis. I think we need two more great drafts to be an elite team in the NFL.

Right now we are not on the same level as SF, GB, Sea, Atl. And in the AFC you have teams like NE, Den, Balt and Houston.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

MossMems is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love the kid, but what "Impact" did Harrison have last year?

Sitting back in his zone waiting for a bad pass, keeping the receiver in front of him like he should in the C2 scheme.

Minnesota Vikings DB Harrison Smith pick six - NFL Videos

Against the PUKERs, he or Sanford could have got this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfNivRbbgfg

If memory serves, other highlights are a sack strip on Schaub and a bad pass/int vs the cards that Whinny could have got as well.

Again, I love the kid, love the way he plays, but lets not over inflate what he does just to be let down when he doesn't live up to the "Hype" this year.
    He almost single-handedly brought our secondary from a joke, to a respectable bunch. What do you expect from a rookie, Mr. Ponder Apologist?

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    My biggest disagreemetn is LB and Inside Dlinemen. No way I would give our LBs a B especially when th emost improtant LB hasn't even been established. I would say a C until we know who is going to man the middle. OUr inside D-linemen B- Williams isn't what he was and name another that is desrving of an A grade. Cornerback is another high grade I couldn't give our CBs and higher than a B- and My crade would be a C. Who do we have that is above average in coverage? Cook, maybe?

Our D is a C+ maybe a B- tops.
    I can definitely see where you're coming from. I grade them so high when it's rookies or first-year players, but it's based on how I think they will perform.

Defensive tackles
    I expect Sharrif Floyd to perform at an A level. For one, I've seen him play and how he can dominate against elite linemen. And second, he was pegged as a top 5 player in the draft by many. Me included. I will be surprised if he does NOT perform at an elite level this year.
    I believe the presence of Floyd will elevate Williams play as well.

Linebackers
    Erin Henderson moving to the inside, apart form learning a new position, is a PLUS in my book. I think he fits that position better. As for Gerald Hodges, I think he can be a solid weak outside linebacker for the Vikings for many many years. I really like this guys potential.

Originally, I gave the linebacker group a "C", but then I switched it to a "B" because I really don't think they will be a below average unit this year. Of course, this is very much based on predictions so I get your point.

Cornerbacks
    I think Xavier Rhodes will drastically elevate this unit. I really like how this guy plays and I think he can be the best DB of the draft. Then there is Cook who can play really good, but needs to stay on the field. Remember, our DB's do not have an easy job as they play in arguably the toughest division with two of the best aerial attacks in the NFL. We have two teams each with arguably the best receivers in the game (Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson) while the third team has NFL's best receiving group combined with the best QB in the NFL. The DB's of Minnesota must have the toughest job in the NFL.

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    QB C- for now, all that matters is next year
    WR C+ with potential hinging on CP
    TE B+ they do what we need them to do as a unit
    LB C I just hope this unit doesn't ruin an otherwise stellar D
    S B Smith is a great player trending up. Sanford is good enough but has noticeable limitations.

Everything else isn't too controversial.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    I can definitely see where you're coming from. I grade them so high when it's rookies or first-year players, but it's based on how I think they will perform.

Defensive tackles
    I expect Sharrif Floyd to perform at an A level. For one, I've seen him play and how he can dominate against elite linemen. And second, he was pegged as a top 5 player in the draft by many. Me included. I will be surprised if he does NOT perform at an elite level this year.
    I believe the presence of Floyd will elevate Williams play as well.

If you include Floyd that will enhance the grade but DT are one of the hardest pos. adjustments in the NFL. I am sure Marrdro can back me up on this. So you might see flashes of greatness from Floyd but plan on a year of inconsistent play from him.

Linebackers
    Erin Henderson moving to the inside, apart form learning a new position, is a PLUS in my book. I think he fits that position better. As for Gerald Hodges, I think he can be a solid weak outside linebacker for the Vikings for many many years. I really like this guys potential.

Originally, I gave the linebacker group a "C", but then I switched it to a "B" because I really don't think they will be a below average unit this year. Of course, this is very much based on predictions so I get your point.

Henderson was not a great fit last year so I am not sure if the second time around will produce any better results. I would rather see Cole given the shot and if he can't do it put Henderson in. I have high hopes for Hodges but he is slow and a bit undersized, what makes up for that is his instincts so he may improve the Lbers. I have hope for better LBing play but grading and hoping are two different things. The fact remains Greenway is the only LB that played above average last year and we didn't do much to improve that pos.

Cornerbacks
    I think Xavier Rhodes will drastically elevate this unit. I really like how this guy plays and I think he can be the best DB of the draft. Then there is Cook who can play really good, but needs to stay on the field. Remember, our DB's do not have an easy job as they play in arguably the toughest division with two of the best aerial attacks in the NFL. We have two teams each with arguably the best receivers in the game (Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson) while the third team has NFL's best receiving group combined with the best QB in the NFL. The DB's of Minnesota must have the toughest job in the NFL.[/COLOR]
    Rhodes is a huge question mark, can he play C2? Can Cooke step up he played solid bu tnot spectacular by any means. Josh can play the slot but cna he imrpove over last year. Our DBs are all mostly unproven, even Cooke has only played in a few games his first two years. Last year would be his rookie year if you go by starts. I just have way too many question marks At all the pos. to give this D an A.

I think if our rookies play as they did in college, I definitely understand your enthusiasm. The problem with expecting rookies to help out is that they are rookies, you just don't know how they will adjust to the speed of the game. Some come in and play great right away (Kalil, Smith), some may take a little while to learn the game and be comfortable (Wright, Robinson). We will have to see how this rookie class plays out, if they all can come in and contribute we will be a very formidable team. If some need to come along slowly then we will progress as a team very slowly and may be playing our best ball at the end of the year. I like your optimism, I tend to lack that and have more of a wait and see attitude.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12