View Poll Results: What grade do you give the Vikings 2013 roster?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • A (elite team)

1 7.69%
  • B (good team)

12 92.31%
  • C (half-decent team)

0 0%
  • D (one of the worst teams)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Grading The 2013 Roster

Each part of the roster is assigned a grade on a scale from "A" to" D".
    "A+" is equal to the very best in the NFL and "D-" is equal to the very worst.

I base the evaluation heavily on previous performance of the players, but also partly on realistic predictions.

Quarterback: C (sorry Ponder)
    Halfback: A+ (best there is!)
    Fullback: A-
    Wide receiver: C (Only one really proven)
    Tight end: B+
    Outside offensive lineman: A
    Inside offensive lineman: B

The whole offense: B+
    I was gonna give a slightly lower grade because the QB is so important, but then I realized we managed to make a successful playoff run on pretty much the running game alone (no pun intended). Amazing what AD can do.

Safety: B (Harrison is solid, but the other spot is questionable)
    Cornerback: B
    Linebacker: B (many question marks because of big makeover at Mike and Will)
    Outside defensive lineman: A+ (No team has better 4-3 ends!)
    Inside defensive lineman: A

The whole defense: A-
    The bad: Big question marks exist on all position groups except defensive end and mostly because of limited starting experience in the NFL.
    The good: The defense will most likely feature 3 rookie starters with immense potential.

Kicker: A+ (Best in the bizz!)
    Punter: B+ (rookie starter, but was great in college)
    Returner: A- (Patterson can return both punts and kickoffs)

The whole special teams: A

- - - - - -

The complete team: A-

Afterthought: The final overall grade equals well to how the Vikings finished last year, but I think the Vikes will be much better now. I feel that I'm being a little harsh on the newcomers this year as I think there's a good chance they'll play better than I gave them credit for in the grades. Plus, the depth is no very good so lets wish for a healthy season for our players.

I seriously think the team will go from good to elite if all the rookies plays to the potential they have shown in college. We have an astonishing amount of rookies that might be future All-Pro's.

I'm super-excited for the Vikings in 2013!

What's your opinion on the Vikings' team this year. Feel free to leave your breakdown on here as well.
    Last edited by HEY; 05-11-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    The Vikings are a good team. No modern era elite team has had a QB with such poor stats.

MossMems is offline Rookie
    Good breakdown HEY. If we had a better QB, I would expect us to win our division. We still might.

I think we play most of this years draft right away. And they will have an impact. And if Musgrave can figure out how to get the ball from Ponder to Patterson, its going to be a fun season.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I fully expect us to win the division this year. We will have the best defense, the best ST, the best running game and I expect the passing game to be better than it was last year. Green bay will not be as good as they were last year and same with the Bears. The Lions are the wildcard but I expect them to be the Lions and finish 3-4th in the division where they belong.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    I expect us to be a better team this year. I think we win a playoff game. If that happens you never know. If we get hot watch out. A lot of what I said hinges on Ponder stepping up. I am counting on improved quarterback play.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer
    I believe the division will be still be tough. I do not consider us elite.. I think SF and Seattle are leading the NFC pack. With the strength of the West, I think we need to win our division to get into the playoffs.

If Rhodes makes an impact as much as Harrison did, I think we have that shot. I'm not saying Harrison is All-Pro, but he was a significant upgrade enough to where if our CB is upgraded an equal amount, we will have an easier time stopping GB offense. I believe Ponder will play better, but I expect stumbling off the blocks while our receivers get in tune and we develop the run-pass balance we want for this year. Our stretch of home games in the mid-end season bodes well.

I have tempered expectations but high hopes.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Smitty graded out 19th of 88 overall, 6th out of 88 in pass coverage, 71 of 88 in run support.
    Jamarca graded out 24 of 88 overall, 28 out of 88 in pass coverage, 26 of 88 in run support.

One is solid and one is questionable????????

I'd say one is consistent and the other played like a rook who benefited from at least 2 poorly thrown balls which made him look better in coverage than he actually played.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Smitty graded out 19th of 88 overall, 6th out of 88 in pass coverage, 71 of 88 in run support.
    Jamarca graded out 24 of 88 overall, 28 out of 88 in pass coverage, 26 of 88 in run support.

I'd say one is consistent and the other played like a rook who benefited from at least 2 poorly thrown balls which made him look better in coverage than he actually played.
    So the fact that he was 2nd in tackles at the Safety position means nothing?
    Eyeball test my friend.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Braddock View Post
    I believe the division will be still be tough. I do not consider us elite.. I think SF and Seattle are leading the NFC pack. With the strength of the West, I think we need to win our division to get into the playoffs.

If Rhodes makes an impact as much as Harrison did, I think we have that shot. I'm not saying Harrison is All-Pro, but he was a significant upgrade enough to where if our CB is upgraded an equal amount, we will have an easier time stopping GB offense. I believe Ponder will play better, but I expect stumbling off the blocks while our receivers get in tune and we develop the run-pass balance we want for this year. Our stretch of home games in the mid-end season bodes well.

I have tempered expectations but high hopes.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the kid, but what "Impact" did Harrison have last year?

Sitting back in his zone waiting for a bad pass, keeping the receiver in front of him like he should in the C2 scheme.

Minnesota Vikings DB Harrison Smith pick six - NFL Videos

Against the PUKERs, he or Sanford could have got this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfNivRbbgfg

If memory serves, other highlights are a sack strip on Schaub and a bad pass/int vs the cards that Whinny could have got as well.

Again, I love the kid, love the way he plays, but lets not over inflate what he does just to be let down when he doesn't live up to the "Hype" this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

I don't know how your thought of method is for grading the safeties, and I didn't watch 88 safeties play last year. What I do know is that last year I saw a rookie safety who displayed impressive smarts, toughness, skills, and athleticism in all phases of the game. In fact, I think me labeling Harrison Smith as "solid" is an understatement. He played way better than what I hoped for and there's a reason why people say he's the best safety we have had in many years already.

As for the other safety position, I described it as questionable mostly because the position is pretty much up for grabs. Mistral Raymond was the starter in the beginning of last season, but got injured. Jamarca Sanford was pushed into the role and played better than anticipated. I love Sanford's aggressiveness and tackling ability, and Raymond can be a good overall safety, but he's a bit undersized and a little injury prone.

Back to your grades there, I hope your not one of those who blindly follows the ProFootballFocus because everyone should know their grading system is flawed!

For example: Harrison Smith as always trying his best to be around the ball which in turn puts himself in situation where it's difficult to make a tackle. ProFootballFocus marks it as an missed tackle, not considering that an average safety might not even be fast or smart enough to put him into position to attempt the tackle. Should Harrison be punished by slowing the running back down?

That's why grading a player on strictly numbers is imperfect. As someone already pointed out: eyeball test my friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast