Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    stjmnsota is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Grading #1 Picks since 1993

Robert Smith- A-. He more than made up for injury prone beginnings.
    Duante -C at best
    Bennett good at a C
    /

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think you gave Mount McKinnie a decent grade. The holdold definately hurt him in the first year. Last season he was best player on our line... but considering our line lastyear that didn't take a whole lot.

I think he has a lot of potential, and I forsee his grade going up. He will have an awesome year, although it is hard to say how much of his expected success should be attributed to Birk and Hutch.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

normally recievers have their breackout year in their 2nd season. so i wouldnt give williamson's grade quite yet.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I think you gave Mount McKinnie a decent grade. The holdold definately hurt him in the first year. Last season he was best player on our line... but considering our line lastyear that didn't take a whole lot.

I think he has a lot of potential, and I forsee his grade going up. He will have an awesome year, although it is hard to say how much of his expected success should be attributed to Birk and Hutch.
    I think part of the grading system should be how you work with the rest of your team. In this the OL. You can have the best players in the world but if they don't play together, they will stink. If he has a good year this year he will deserve that higher grade. Teammates are supposed to make you better.

"vikes09" wrote:
    normally recievers have their breackout year in their 2nd season. so i wouldnt give williamson's grade quite yet.
    I agree with you but I wanted to give grades as to their current performance. I agree he could go higher but until he has that breakout season he should be where he is. I hope next season I can give him an A. That remains to be seen.

Greenway26 is offline Training Camp

"ejmat" wrote:
    I wanted to get an idea of how everyone would rank our #1 picks since 1993. I would have went to 1990 however we all know what happened with that.

2006 - Chad Greenway - Remains to be seen agreed

2005 - Troy Williamson - Too early to tell. As of now, I would give a C.
    Had quiet first season. Never really got into a groove yet. agreed

2005 - Erasmus James - Too early to tell. As ofr now I would rate a B-
    Didn't have a lot of reps till late in the season but showed good potential. Needs to get over mental errors. agreed

2004 - Kenechi Udeze - C+. Has great ptotential. Wasn't great his first year and injured most of last season. I believe he will be rated higher in the future. agreed

2003 - Kevin Williams - A. Made probowl in 2004. Has been pretty consistent except for a little bit last year getting over injury. agreed

2002 - Bryant McKinnie - C+. Made terrific strides last year but before that looked clueless at times. His hold out rookie season made a big difference in his maturing late in the NFL. This rating will go up. Should be at least a B, in his 3rd year he was good enough to be a B+ or A

2001 - Michael Bennett - C+. Had one good year yardwise but too inconsistent. Never lived up to expectations. His minimal time in college may be the reason he dances around looking the holes. Agreed, he had one great year, the rest were injury plagued or bad

2000 - Chris Hovan - B-. Had good first 2 seasons. After that his production decreased but always had a presence. I'm not a big fan but I do give him some credit. He came back last year and had a decent season with TB. He was pretty good for a few years, then got benched, I'd go with a B

1999 - Daunt Culpepper - B+. Great stats but hasn't quite developed the team leadership qualities needed in a QB. Trouble with turning the ball over when pressured. Great athleticism. Made probowl 3 out of 6 years in the NFL. I'd go with a C here. He had 1 great year, a lot of decent ones (that were bad if you factor in all the fumbles and dumb mistakes....if not for 2004 I'd give him a D....most of his stats were due to Moss, who made every QB we had come in look good....if not for Moss he'd be an F

1999 - Demetrius Underwood - F. Do I really need to explain? Enough said!!!!!!! You sure? I'd give him a big fat 0!!!

1998 - Randy Moss - A+. Undoubtedly one of the best players to every play the game. He was a steal as the 21st pick of the draft. Although he had on and off the field problems, his play making abilities exceeded standards in the NFL. He'd be an A+ if he were still here, he's not so an A

1997 - Dwayne Rudd - B. Good play maker although has done foolish things on the field. Stupid taunting and let's not forget his throwing of the helmet with the Browns. Still a solid player. B-

1996 - Duane Clemons - C+. Decent player that never lived up to his potential. He was pretty consistent and you knew what you were going to get from him. Nothing special. agree

1995 - Derrick Alexander - C+. See Duane Clemons for comments.

1995 - Korey Stringer - A. This may be biased but he was a strong lineman. He respected the game and gave 100% on every play. Very consistent and a class act. We miss you Korey!!!!!!! I'd go with a B. One probowl in 7 years as a starter is not A material

1994 - DeWayne Washington - B-. Good corner. Had some good years with the Vikings and the Steelers.

1994 - Todd Steussie - C+. Excellent blocker and made probowl. However his mental errors (False Starts) ruined many big plays. Took away one big play in the 1998 NFC Championship game. B-

1993 - Robert Smith - B+. Great skills and excellent speed. Found the holes and knew when to go around the corner. Great coming out of backfield. Injury prone most of his career keeps him from getting an A. Had a lot of good years, A-, brought down as you said due to injury

Tell me what you think.
    Overall pretty good, nice job.

Thanks Greenway. I appreciate your input as well. Nicely stated.

Okay. I was forced to do this. I hope Webby doesn't hold it against me. Here are the draft picks from rounds 2 & 3:

I'll be honest. A lot of the names here I don't know. With that being the case it would be difficult for me to give fair grades. I will denote the ones I don't know with an "*"

Round 2
    1990 - None

1991 - None

1992 - Robert Harris - *

1993 - Qadry Ismail - (B) - Blossemed later in his career with the Ravens. Showed flashes of probowl calibur with the Vikings. Decent kick returner.

1994 - David Palmer - (C+) Filled in when necessary. Decent return man with a lot of speed. Got the job done. Didn't live up to hype from college.
    Fernando Smith - I remember him but not enough to grade him.

1995 - Orlando Thomas - (B-) Average safety. Played well at times. Mostly consistent but nothing special.
    Corey Fuller - (B) Several respectful years in the NFL. Consistent defensive back.

1996 - James Manley - I remember the name but not enough to grade.

1997 - Terrian Gray - *

1998 - Kailee Wong - (B-) Consistent tackler but has had injury problems. Usually around the ball carrier. Still with the Texans (I think).

1999 - Jim Kleinsasser - (B+) - In his first few years I would have graded him higher but he has struggled ever since his injury in 2004. I'd like to see more production out of him this year.

2000 - Fred Robbins - (C) - Average lineman at best.
    Michael Boireau - (F) - Always injured. Never did anything in the NFL.

2001 - Willie Howard - (D) - Played but that's about it. Burned easily.

2002 - Raonell Smith - (C-) - The judgement is still out on him. He's a good special teamer but due to injuries never lived up to his potential as a LB. Hopefully that will remain because I think he signed with the Packers.

2003 - EJ Henderson - (B-) - Excellent tackler and he can read run plays well. However has looked lost on coverage plays. Juries still out but he can do better.

2004 - Dontarrious Thomas - (C-) - High potential but needs to learn the game. I want to blame this grade on the coaching staff for not developing him better. I think he can be a probowler in the NFL.

2005 - Marcus Johnson - (B+) - I know I may get ripped for this one. However, he showed great promise with minimal playing time in just his rookie season. He can and will be an animal to help protect the QB. Hopefully he shines and this rating will improve.

Round 3

1990 - Mike Jones and Marion Hobby - * and *

1991 - Carlos Jenkins - (B) - I liked his style of play. He was a consistent tackler and made plays.
    Jake Reed - (A) - Totally complimented Carter and Moss. Still was a threat even when Moss wasn't there yet. Not a speedy guy but he had great hands and got the job done.

1992 - None

1993 - John Gerak - I remember the name and if my memory serves me right he hung in there for a few years but I can't grade him honestly.
    Gilbert Brown - (A) - Although he didn't play long for the Vikings he was a big run stopper for the Packers. Just giving credit where it's due.

1994 - None

1995 - None

1996 - Moe Williams - (A) - I know I will be criticized for this especially when I gave Robert Smith a B+ but hear me out. This guy has done whatever he was asked. He consistently gets you the yardage needed whether running or coming out of the backfield. He's a team player. Minimal injuries (I think twice), great special teamer and played until he wasn't wanted anymore. I like his zest to play football. Smith wasn't a big football fan but played it because it was a career.

1997 - Stalin Colinet - (C) - Decent end but only average. I may be convinced to change this one.

1998 - Ramos McDonald (D) The only reason I give him a D is because he lasted a while in the NFL. He still stinks.

1999 - None

2000 - Doug Chapman - (C-) I don't know what happened to him. Is he still playing? I thought he was good but the Vikings minimally used him.

2001 - Eric Kelly - (D) Can you say, Toast?

2002 - Willie Offord - (C+) Just coming to his own. I want to see how he adjusts to the cover 2 and what his role will be. Inconsistent but started to come around late last year.

2003 - Nate Burleson - (B+) - Another good compliment to Moss. Good hands and runs well after the catch.

2004 - Darrion Scott - (B) - This one may go up also. When he played I thought he played well. He is a casualty to a strong first string defensive line.

2005 - Dustin Fox - (F) Unfair to grade at this time. He was injured all of last season.

Here it is folks. Sorry I took up so much room.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Qadry Dismail a B? Maybe I was too young but I remember him dropping almost EVERYTHING.

I also will vouch for you to lower Colinet's grade, and I think Burleson needs another solid year before he earns a B+.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

I think you are somewhat correct with Qadry. He did drop passes now that you mentioned it but he also made some pretty good catches. Like I said though he became a very good WR in his later years.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast