Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Grading #1 Picks since 1993

i'd say it was a decent ranking, a few changes could be made, but close

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks King. I'm interested to hear which ones you would change. I like to see everyone's opinion here.

Dewayne Washington (Mr.Can't cover his own sahdow) is rated much to high, he bit on every single playfake. C-

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I don't see how Bennett and Big Mac have the same grade.. But I dunno it's your grading..

Big Mac is atleast a B in my eyes.. He gave up like 1 maybe 2 sacks last year? Has been solid all thru his career after he went to the 2 point stance.. And is a top tier tackle.. Was the only bright spot on our line last year

T-Bone is offline Rookie

Your grades seem very fair. I actually liked Bennett, specifically his personality, not necessarily his talent. I think in the NFL, even with a weak O-line, any RB should put up decent numbers. Unfortunately, Bennett seemed to panic every time he got the ball, and would take 6-7 steps side to side without going anywhere. Does Denver have that much better of an O-line to allow every RB there put up great numbers? You have to give Culpepper an A, he made pro bowls and had MVP type numbers. Sure he gave the ball up a lot but I'd still like him in purple. Now Steussie is another story. I have never understood what was great about him. His false starts were insane. I have only been a fan since '98 so maybe I missed his better days but I was very happy to see him go. Rudd was another loser on the field, over-celebrating every minor play. Is he really a solid player now?

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

I agree on Daunte's grade, but he lacks mental management of the game and situation, not leadership skills. Otherwise I agree.

I think everyone else's grades were justified with your fair explanations except Robert Smith. Smith was injury prone early in his career, but had at least 3 year productive years as an everydown back. This is the norm for feature backs this day in age. Smith had at least another year in him, but left the game on his own terms. Everytime he touched the ball and hit the hole with an extra step he looked like he could post it.

Nice thread by the way.

Thanks umaguma. These are the kind of debates I like to talk about in this site. Everyone always brings up valid points. I wouldn't change any of my grades as of now. McKinnie, IMO, hasn't really been solid his entire NFL career. He had a good season last year but that's really about it. Beofre that he has looked lost at times and has given up a lot of sacks. His hold out in his rookie year had an effect on his learning curve.

Daunte, I agree he's an all-pro QB but you really have to consider his lack of leadership skills and how often he turns the ball over. After watching Brad last year (I'm not saying Brad is better) but he proved there doesn't have to be that many turnovers even with a bad line. He was hit just as hard as Pep was and rarely fumbled. Yes, the line was just as bad all season long as it was in the beginning. It didn't seem that way because BJ knew how to read defenses and was able to make plays quicker. Pep kept trying to go down the field and couldn't get the hint he had no time to do so.

I think Pep has the talent to be a HOF QB but to me, he hasn't shown it yet. I know he's made the probowl 3 times but people don't always see the same thing we as Viking fans that watch every game see. He never learned to control the clock and he gets razzled easily.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Bryant Mckinney deserves a solid B...and Derrick Alexander should get NO MORE than a D...he didn't do SH!T for us!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

I like the grades you showed..

as for bennet.. u know i never thought we used his speed as we should have. He was never an every down back.. screen's and even possibly a mock TE/rb.. but i can't argue with his grade as he never pushed past that normal level..

i'd give mac though a better grade.. he has been a solid body on a really shaky o-line!!

and D.c did put up some great #'s.. ok he had argueably the greatest WR receiving the ball.. I even watched the video moss's first day in the nfl.. and the anouncer says.. "You don't even have to throw it to him, he'll come to the ball" so i'm not all sold on the fact that it was D.c's accuracy.. but his arm strength that got those 5000+ yrds

other then that.. i like the grades.. but lets discuss the 2nd / 3rd rnders.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

I like that idea Digital. As many of you know, Cajun has proclaimed me the unofficial Mr. PP.O Un-googler. Therefore is there anyone that doesn't mind researching the 2nd and 3rd rounders.

I would do it myself but I'm really trying to earn the name.

As far as all the input here, thanks everyone. I think McKinnie will prove to be hgiher rated. As for now, I want to see that last year wasn't a one time thing. He is solid but really before last year he wasn't that solid or consistent.

As for DC there are many more aspects to being a good QB then just passing yards and TDs. Sure those stats help and they make you look good. However, you have to learn the game, be a leader, stay in control, and be able to control the clock. I'm afraid at this time, DC doesn't show these characteristics. That's just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. I think he's a good QB but to me he hasn't earned that A yet. You also have to be able to come back consistently. Besides early leads against us he was never a 4th quarter QB. He's had a couple of comebacks but characteristically he has choked in critical situations.

Bennett was the one that didn't use his speed the way he should have. He never learned to find the holes. In order to use his speed, he would have needed to get past the front lines. There's only so much a coaching staff can teach. You have to remember he only played one year of college football. I'm not sure what his high school credentials are (if I remember correctly they weren't that high) but he really had a lack of experience coming into the NFL.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast