Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Grading #1 Picks since 1993

I wanted to get an idea of how everyone would rank our #1 picks since 1993. I would have went to 1990 however we all know what happened with that.

2006 - Chad Greenway - Remains to be seen

2005 - Troy Williamson - Too early to tell. As of now, I would give a C.
    Had quiet first season. Never really got into a groove yet.

2005 - Erasmus James - Too early to tell. As ofr now I would rate a B-
    Didn't have a lot of reps till late in the season but showed good potential. Needs to get over mental errors.

2004 - Kenechi Udeze - C+. Has great ptotential. Wasn't great his first year and injured most of last season. I believe he will be rated higher in the future.

2003 - Kevin Williams - A. Made probowl in 2004. Has been pretty consistent except for a little bit last year getting over injury.

2002 - Bryant McKinnie - C+. Made terrific strides last year but before that looked clueless at times. His hold out rookie season made a big difference in his maturing late in the NFL. This rating will go up.

2001 - Michael Bennett - C+. Had one good year yardwise but too inconsistent. Never lived up to expectations. His minimal time in college may be the reason he dances around looking the holes.

2000 - Chris Hovan - B-. Had good first 2 seasons. After that his production decreased but always had a presence. I'm not a big fan but I do give him some credit. He came back last year and had a decent season with TB.

1999 - Daunt Culpepper - B+. Great stats but hasn't quite developed the team leadership qualities needed in a QB. Trouble with turning the ball over when pressured. Great athleticism. Made probowl 3 out of 6 years in the NFL.

1999 - Demetrius Underwood - F. Do I really need to explain? Enough said!!!!!!!

1998 - Randy Moss - A+. Undoubtedly one of the best players to every play the game. He was a steal as the 21st pick of the draft. Although he had on and off the field problems, his play making abilities exceeded standards in the NFL.

1997 - Dwayne Rudd - B. Good play maker although has done foolish things on the field. Stupid taunting and let's not forget his throwing of the helmet with the Browns. Still a solid player.

1996 - Duane Clemons - C+. Decent player that never lived up to his potential. He was pretty consistent and you knew what you were going to get from him. Nothing special.

1995 - Derrick Alexander - C+. See Duane Clemons for comments.

1995 - Korey Stringer - A. This may be biased but he was a strong lineman. He respected the game and gave 100% on every play. Very consistent and a class act. We miss you Korey!!!!!!!

1994 - DeWayne Washington - B-. Good corner. Had some good years with the Vikings and the Steelers.

1994 - Todd Steussie - C+. Excellent blocker and made probowl. However his mental errors (False Starts) ruined many big plays. Took away one big play in the 1998 NFC Championship game.

1993 - Robert Smith - B+. Great skills and excellent speed. Found the holes and knew when to go around the corner. Great coming out of backfield. Injury prone most of his career keeps him from getting an A.

Tell me what you think.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Grading #1 Picks since 1993

To be honest, I think you're way too generous.

Michael Bennett a C+!? Chris Hovan a B-!?

D's for both them, at best.

But then I'm a harsh marker; a fact the kids whose exams I'm about to grade will find out the hard way!

I hear ya Benet. I was torn between the both of those 2 but I also wanted to give a little credit. Bennett had shown flashes and Hovan had his presence. Are those the only 2 you question?

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

no cris hovan was good. he honest to god used to be lol
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

ViKing24 is offline Asst. Coach

Not anymore see I mean usually we have somegood players but they never turn out to the full potential their capable of like Chris Hovan and Bennet.However we have gotten some steals in the later rounds I must say.

Formerly Viking24

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Man we had some trying times in the late 90's trying to draft defense!
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

I agree with most of your grading!! But i can't believe you gave Demetrius Underwood such a low grade, i was thinking atleast a C+ or B-!!! LOL
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:
    I agree with most of your grading!! But i can't believe you gave Demetrius Underwood such a low grade, i was thinking atleast a C+ or B-!!! LOL
    Yeah I was real torn on that one. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Del Rio Guest

Hovan is a solid nose tackle, even to this day. I think you gave him a fair grade.

Stringer may be a bit too high for my liking. Don't really feel like touching that one though, not again anyway.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Hovan is a solid nose tackle, even to this day. I think you gave him a fair grade.

Stringer may be a bit too high for my liking. Don't really feel like touching that one though, not again anyway.
    Like I said, I may be biased with Korey. I only see his good side. I really can't remember him screwing up so I give my respect.

This is the type of grading I like. Maybe the years don't really matter unless it's 2 years or less.. I think it's overall performances that matters throughout a career.

At least MOST of our first rounders stayed in the NFL a while. That's a good sign.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast