Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,255

    Re: Grades so far (A to F)

    The O-line blows because when the QB holds the ball that long, they have to hold their blocks "that long". Please remember, any bad QB or scheme can make ANY offensive line look bad.

    If Joe Montana had been bad and held the ball an eternity, his O-line would have looked horrific. I still blame this all on lack of a QB. Why didn't the organization nail down a QB like Jake Plummer in the off-season ? I know Chilly wants to do it his way, which is fine. But I don't want to watch us go 2-14 while we "re-group" or whatever. With Jake Plummer, this team could be 10-6.

  2. #12
    vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Grades so far (A to F)

    "StillPurple" wrote:
    The O-line blows because when the QB holds the ball that long, they have to hold their blocks "that long". Please remember, any bad QB or scheme can make ANY offensive line look bad.

    If Joe Montana had been bad and held the ball an eternity, his O-line would have looked horrific. I still blame this all on lack of a QB. Why didn't the organization nail down a QB like Jake Plummer in the off-season ? I know Chilly wants to do it his way, which is fine. But I don't want to watch us go 2-14 while we "re-group" or whatever. With Jake Plummer, this team could be 10-6.
    Jake Plummer!
    Are you kidding me?
    Who does he play for?

  3. #13
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: Grades so far (A to F)

    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    The O-line blows because when the QB holds the ball that long, they have to hold their blocks "that long". Please remember, any bad QB or scheme can make ANY offensive line look bad.

    If Joe Montana had been bad and held the ball an eternity, his O-line would have looked horrific. I still blame this all on lack of a QB. Why didn't the organization nail down a QB like Jake Plummer in the off-season ? I know Chilly wants to do it his way, which is fine. But I don't want to watch us go 2-14 while we "re-group" or whatever. With Jake Plummer, this team could be 10-6.
    Jake Plummer!
    Are you kidding me?
    Who does he play for?
    He's still allocated to the Bucs. If it would even be possible for him to play in the league, they own the rights to him

    Thanks to PPE for the sig.

  4. #14
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Grades so far (A to F)

    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    The O-line blows because when the QB holds the ball that long, they have to hold their blocks "that long". Please remember, any bad QB or scheme can make ANY offensive line look bad.

    If Joe Montana had been bad and held the ball an eternity, his O-line would have looked horrific. I still blame this all on lack of a QB. Why didn't the organization nail down a QB like Jake Plummer in the off-season ? I know Chilly wants to do it his way, which is fine. But I don't want to watch us go 2-14 while we "re-group" or whatever. With Jake Plummer, this team could be 10-6.
    Jake Plummer!
    Are you kidding me?
    Who does he play for?
    I think he went down the path that was his destiny.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  5. #15
    vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Grades so far (A to F)

    "StillPurple" wrote:
    The O-line blows because when the QB holds the ball that long, they have to hold their blocks "that long". Please remember, any bad QB or scheme can make ANY offensive line look bad.

    If Joe Montana had been bad and held the ball an eternity, his O-line would have looked horrific. I still blame this all on lack of a QB. Why didn't the organization nail down a QB like Jake Plummer in the off-season ? I know Chilly wants to do it his way, which is fine. But I don't want to watch us go 2-14 while we "re-group" or whatever. With Jake Plummer, this team could be 10-6.
    I believe Matt Schaub was available in 2006 for a draft choice.
    I wonder if we could have sent Atlanta our 2nd round pick for him.
    The one we drafted Ryan Cook with.
    That might have been a good move.

  6. #16
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,563

    Re: Grades so far (A to F)

    "StillPurple" wrote:
    The O-line blows because when the QB holds the ball that long, they have to hold their blocks "that long". Please remember, any bad QB or scheme can make ANY offensive line look bad.

    If Joe Montana had been bad and held the ball an eternity, his O-line would have looked horrific. I still blame this all on lack of a QB. Why didn't the organization nail down a QB like Jake Plummer in the off-season ? I know Chilly wants to do it his way, which is fine. But I don't want to watch us go 2-14 while we "re-group" or whatever. With Jake Plummer, this team could be 10-6.
    I'm pretty sure I get your point, which, I happen to agree with.
    I've been saying for quite sometime that mediocre QB play gets this team to 8-8 or better.
    Plummer could be categorized as mediocre...I don't think you are saying, "go get Jake," nor am I.
    The point is, QB play sucks to date.

    QB - F (awful production)
    RB - A (AD will be a top 5 back in the NFL...shortly)
    WR/TE - C- (but, improving every week, Rice is gonna be a good one.
    I also like Shiancoe)
    OL - C (running game gets an A-, Passing a D-, average...C; they are capable of better IMO)

    DL - B (encouraging contribution from the ends)
    LB - B (Greenway's play after four games in the big time is good and improving quickly.
    Leber is solid, EJ is improving)
    S - B (Smith and Sharper are making plays)
    CB - C (youth and a top CB = inconsistency)

    Special Teams - B (cautiously optimistic, I said I'd give four games to judge...)

    Fans - D...buy a new stadium already
    ;D

    Overall - D (the record is the ultimate barometer, although, I think there is some very, very good young talent)

    Coaching - Spotty.
    Childress and his mentor, Andy Reid, have the same traits; they seemingly do not adjust well to what's happening on the field.
    You should hear the Eagles fans chirping.
    I like Frazier's agressiveness, however, there are certainly opportunities for improvement.
    O-Line play...WTF; they are better than that, although, I get the point StillPurple is making about our QBs holding the ball.



    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  7. #17
    PurpleTide's Avatar
    PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,210

    Re: Grades so far (A to F)


    QB - D (need more time to throw, T-Jack is coming back and could create that extra moment)
    RB - A (all have great averages)
    WR/TE - C ( improving every week, Rice is gonna be a good one.
    I also like Shiancoe)
    OL - C (running game gets an A+, Passing a D, average...C; they are capable of better IMO)

    DL - B (encouraging contribution from the ends)
    LB - B (Greenway's play after four is good and improving quickly.
    Leber is solid, EJ is having a all pro year)
    S - B+ (Smith and Sharper are making plays, great backups)
    CB - C (youth and a top CB = teams attacking the young guys exclusively)
    ST - B ( the most improved part of our team- leading the league in KO return yrds)
    Coaching - B (I like the coaching and the direction we are going, the WCO takes a long time to get in sync and it's getting there.)
    Fans - C (wishy washy, and impatient, but still are a home-field advantage.)



  8. #18
    PurpleGator's Avatar
    PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,685

    Re: Grades so far (A to F)

    "PurpleTide" wrote:

    QB - D (need more time to throw, T-Jack is coming back and could create that extra moment)
    RB - A (all have great averages)
    WR/TE - C ( improving every week, Rice is gonna be a good one.
    I also like Shiancoe)
    OL - C (running game gets an A+, Passing a D, average...C; they are capable of better IMO)

    DL - B (encouraging contribution from the ends)
    LB - B (Greenway's play after four is good and improving quickly.
    Leber is solid, EJ is having a all pro year)
    S - B+ (Smith and Sharper are making plays, great backups)
    CB - C (youth and a top CB = teams attacking the young guys exclusively)
    ST - B ( the most improved part of our team- leading the league in KO return yrds)
    Coaching - B (I like the coaching and the direction we are going, the WCO takes a long time to get in sync and it's getting there.)
    Fans - C (wishy washy, and impatient, but still are a home-field advantage.)


    Nice post and I agree with most but I think the grades are slightly too high for a 1-3 team.

  9. #19
    PurplePeopleEaters's Avatar
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,901

    Re: Grades so far (A to F)

    QB's: D: Tarvaris was pretty bad while he was in there. It's a bad sign for your team when Kelly Holcomb is a refreshing sight.

    RB's: A-: Adrian Peterson is sick. I believe he leads the NFL in total yards from scrimmage or he's at least close. Chester has played well when not injured but the injury part grades them down. Mewelde is decent as usual when he's in there.

    WR's: C: I really don't see the WR's as one of the huge problems on this team. I think they could use a big playmaker to make Tarvaris' first year easier but otherwise they're improving each week. Wade looks like a solid pickup so far and I loved Rice's game last week. If the QB had time in the pocket to throw to these guys i'm sure their stats would be much higher.

    OL: I decided to split this into to categories because it was necessary.

    Pass Blocking- F: They can't pass block to save their lives.
    Run Blocking- B: the occasional bad play where Adrian has to save himself but for the most part they are a good run blocking line all the way across.

    TE: D: Shiancoe can't block worth crap. Kleinsasser can't receive worth crap.


    DL: B-: The Williams are playing admirably in the run game as usual and we have a little bit more of a pass rush than last year with the addition of Robison but these guys need to step up big time like they did in the Atlanta game.

    LB: B+: I really like our linebacking corps. EJ has done extremely well adjusting back to MLB. Greenway is looking great for what is essentially his rookie season. Leber is doing well but not making the amazing plays, essentially what we ask of him. Solid unit.

    CB: C: Winfield does well in the run game. He's not the best against the pass (probably because he's a man coverage guy) but he does his job OK. Griffin isn't looking too good and neither is McCauley as far as their getting burned a lot.

    S: C: We haven't heard much from these guys but I assume that means that they're not making plays. They need to step up and be playmakers out there.

    Special Teams: A: Great kick returns. Great kick coverage. Great punting. Great Kicking . In fact, longwell has even improved his kickoffs immensely. The addition of Ciurciu to go along with Farwell is clearly paying off.

    Coaching: D: I'm as angry at Childress and Bevell as the rest of you so until they prove to me that they can field a winning team I still want them fired. Frasier has pretty much stepped in and done what Tomlin did last year which bodes well for our defense.

  10. #20
    PurpleGator's Avatar
    PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,685

    Re: Grades so far (A to F)

    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    QB's: D: Tarvaris was pretty bad while he was in there. It's a bad sign for your team when Kelly Holcomb is a refreshing sight.

    RB's: A-: Adrian Peterson is sick. I believe he leads the NFL in total yards from scrimmage or he's at least close. Chester has played well when not injured but the injury part grades them down. Mewelde is decent as usual when he's in there.

    WR's: C: I really don't see the WR's as one of the huge problems on this team. I think they could use a big playmaker to make Tarvaris' first year easier but otherwise they're improving each week. Wade looks like a solid pickup so far and I loved Rice's game last week. If the QB had time in the pocket to throw to these guys i'm sure their stats would be much higher.

    OL: I decided to split this into to categories because it was necessary.

    Pass Blocking- F: They can't pass block to save their lives.
    Run Blocking- B: the occasional bad play where Adrian has to save himself but for the most part they are a good run blocking line all the way across.

    TE: D: Shiancoe can't block worth crap. Kleinsasser can't receive worth crap.


    DL: B-: The Williams are playing admirably in the run game as usual and we have a little bit more of a pass rush than last year with the addition of Robison but these guys need to step up big time like they did in the Atlanta game.

    LB: B+: I really like our linebacking corps. EJ has done extremely well adjusting back to MLB. Greenway is looking great for what is essentially his rookie season. Leber is doing well but not making the amazing plays, essentially what we ask of him. Solid unit.

    CB: C: Winfield does well in the run game. He's not the best against the pass (probably because he's a man coverage guy) but he does his job OK. Griffin isn't looking too good and neither is McCauley as far as their getting burned a lot.

    S: C: We haven't heard much from these guys but I assume that means that they're not making plays. They need to step up and be playmakers out there.

    Special Teams: A: Great kick returns. Great kick coverage. Great punting. Great Kicking . In fact, longwell has even improved his kickoffs immensely. The addition of Ciurciu to go along with Farwell is clearly paying off.

    Coaching: D: I'm as angry at Childress and Bevell as the rest of you so until they prove to me that they can field a winning team I still want them fired. Frasier has pretty much stepped in and done what Tomlin did last year which bodes well for our defense.
    I think the QBs should get a D- maybe even a F.
    They haven't done a thing.


    Special Teams I would give a B+. We could of beat the Lions if we made a field goal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Year end grades
    By Garland Greene in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 11:11 AM
  2. Grades for all 32 NFL teams
    By BadlandsVikings in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2007, 07:42 PM
  3. Mid-Term Grades
    By StillPurple in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 12:47 PM
  4. week 3 grades
    By Vikes_King in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2006, 05:54 PM
  5. Mel Kiper Jr. Draft Grades
    By Property0f in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 02:21 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •