0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 Sucked big time

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grade the draft

Rage4Order is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    This Draft Class, together with the last two, will propel the Vikes into a much more consistent franchise. Don't get me wrong, I think the 2014 record will not necessarily reflect that…but, that's another thread.

Re: Grading this Draft, I agree with Bryan Fischer of nfl.com - the Vikes passed with flying colors. We've been hearing for months that this is the deepest draft in many, many years. Certainly, San Francisco, Seattle, and our Vikes seem to agree. Several of the Draftees will contribute short-term on special teams, and, I think several will see the field and contribute to offense and defense.

Sure, there are some mixed opinions about Barr, I happen to be a big fan. I've watched the impact he can have off the edge as a 'Huskers fan, and, I believe his crazy athletic ability will translate to become an impact player in the NFL.

Bridgewater, whether you like him or not, he clearly is tough, and, according to most experts, he is the most advanced of the class in reading defenses. Norv worked him out in Florida, calling the shots, testing Bridgewater to ensure he can make the throws in our new offense…

I don't share concerns some PP.Oers have regarding backup, "project," and reach players in Rd 3. Crichton will be a beast, and, I have faith that our coaches can bring out the best in McKinnon. For years, there have been complaints on this site that the Vikes coaches don't coach…we do not need to have that concern anymore.

Love the Yankey pick, he will be the starting LG at some point this year.

Also, love the defensive athletes picked in the lower rounds.

Our friends at the Daily Norseman compiled grades from several experts…
    2014 NFL Draft Grades: How Did The Vikings Do? - Daily Norseman

Sure, I will try to keep a positive outlook, but, I think there is good reason.
    +1 Couldn't have said it better..

313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

Grade the draft

To my points Zimmer made a lot of player on Cincy D and i think sum was UFA to and he picking tha players he want and feel he can coach up

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Mel Kiper Jr. gives Vikings a B-minus

Mel Kiper Jr. gives Minnesota Vikings a B-minus - ESPN

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    As all ways pretty ricky lulls everyone in with multiple first round picks but if you loo at what we got you will see it's not a lot. Also remember we have had tons of draft picks almost every year for a long time, yet our cupbard stays bare.

1. Barr - Not sure how he fits our scheme because giving big money to two 4-3 DEs (255 lbs) screams that we are running the 4-3. However, Floyd can kick out to the LDE. Joesph can play the NT and Wooton (270) can play the other DE. I guess we will use some sort of hybrid 4-3 and 3-4 mosh. If that is true, A pick. If we stay 4-3 then this is a C. Athletic OLB that can rush the passer. Not asked to play much in space and is rough in coverage. A Skinnier D Ware. (i.e not a 4-3 OLB)

1A. Bridgewater - Unlike most people here I like the guy. Do i like him more than the other Qbs. No. I have no idea if we got the right Qb in the draft because all of them are different and all of them can be boom or bust. Cross fingers. The pick itself was an A move.

I am surprised by that statement, we went round and round about Bridgewater vs. Manziel and Bortles. And you seemed pretty sure about him a few weeks ago

3A. Crichton - Draft says he plays like Brian Robison. Do really need to be addressing the backup, backup DE with our 3rd pick? We have issues are players that need starters.
    B for the value but C- for the position. We can't draft for luxary at this point.

3B. Need a 3rd down back that can catch the ball out of the backfield? Lets draft someone that has never done it( he was the QB). Wait a min... why are we addressing RB in the 3rd round. Do we need a starter? Nope. Do we have 3 backups (2 I really like) Yup? Do we need WRs and Corners? Yup but lets ignore that and go QB/RB/DB. Oh did I mention that he was the flex back in a triple option offense so he has limited exposure to taking a handoff from the HB position... nice.
    I was just about to post my opinion of the draft but it was like you read my mind!! That post was just about everything I was going to type. Now to play devil's advocate, the players we got in the draft if we switch the order in which they were drafted you might have a more positive feel for the draft. Let's say Bridgewater is the QB they wanted, if They drafted him 8th and Barr 32nd most would say that was a good first day. Now let's say we drafted Yankey in the third and McKinnon in the fifth most would be happy with those picks. I really like Exum and I think he will find a place to start in our back end. I also think we need to let Zimmer get his D on the field before we start talking good and bad drafts. For example I would love the D-line of Robison, Creighton, Griffin, Barr in passing situations. So who knows what Zimmer might do?
    Last edited by tarkenton10; 05-12-2014 at 07:32 AM.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I was just about to post my opinion of the draft but it was like you read my mind!! That post was just about everything I was going to type. Now to play devil's advocate, the players we got in the draft if we switch the order in which they were drafted you might have a more positive feel for the draft. Let's say Bridgewater is the QB they wanted, if They drafted him 8th and Barr 32nd most would say that was a good first day. Now let's say we drafted Yankey in the third and McKinnon in the fifth most would be happy with those picks. I really like Exum and I think he will find a place to start in our back end. I also think we need to let Zimmer get his D on the field before we start talking good and bad drafts. For example I would love the D-line of Robison, Creighton, Griffin, Barr in passing situations. So who knows what Zimmer might do?
    In the first, I would have been bummed if we took Bridgewater early. I just felt that all of the QBs were gambles, and that since you hope you don't have a top ten pick very damn often, when you do, you really need to make sure to get a true, blue-chip prospect with some impressive physical skills with it...Barr is that guy. To trade a 2 and 4 for a QB who may or may not work out very well for us is way more acceptable in my mind.

On the other hand, I too was a bit bummed after Friday night's 3rd round picks...not because I didn't like the players, but because I felt we had other pressing needs, no.1 being some high end LG competition. After we landed Yankey in the 5th, all my misgivings for our 3rd round picks melted away, as I do believe their value for slot was about right, and that they will contribute to this team right away, as both positions are not just backups, but rotations. With Peterson hitting 30 this year, it may be wise to start easing his reps just a bit, and I think McKinnon already has more to offer than Asiata.

ON a side note...didn't Norv start the wildcat with Ricky Williams in Miami...?

[edit] Just wanted to add on the DLine rotation comment that I think we're going to see a lot of movement along the line as well as who is in with whom, and that the depth we have assembled there is going to make it tough for opponents to predict who is rushing from where, and thus, a whole lot of fun for us to watch!! SKOL!!
    Last edited by mountainviking; 05-12-2014 at 09:40 AM.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Screw Mel Kiper! The boys over on SI.com gave us an A+ on our draft. Unfortunately they gave the Packers an A and rated Chicago's an A- or a B (can't remember which).

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    Screw Mel Kiper! The boys over on SI.com gave us an A+ on our draft. Unfortunately they gave the Packers an A and rated Chicago's an A- or a B (can't remember which).
    As always time will tell. Especially with a new coaching staff, pretty hard for analysts/fans to know what type of athletes we are looking for and what they think of the current roster.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Mal Kiper is no longer relevant, not because he is an ass (he is), but due to the fact that he is wrong as often as he is right. I really could care less how he feels about anyone's draft, to be honest.

I REALLY wanted Manziel, but I didn't want to destroy our draft to get him. I knew it was a long shot to draft him at 8 the night of the draft, though I was more positive earlier in the draft season. The Bridgewater thread is a great read on how a lot of us evolved on our thoughts on the guy, no need to review all those posts... its a good read if some of you haven't been here in awhile.

I gave the vikings a 8, mainly because I wanted then to trade back from the #8 pick, and not just to 9!! I keep hoping to hear about why we didn't make that kind of move (I really think Barr would have been there at 13), perhaps no one would even consider it?

But as for the players we added to the purple nation, I like a LOT of them. There are no guarantees in the NFL, but I think will field a solid team this season. Now, if Cassel plays to form to give Teddy the time he needs, it might get pretty awesome...
    Last edited by drewlovs; 05-12-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Transcripts: Zimmer and Draft Picks Talk On Day One of Rookie Minicamp

I am really liking what I'm hearing from and seeing about this batch of rookies! They all seem like solid, character guys with above average intelligence and a strong will to work. I also get the feeling that Leslie's Legacy left a bit of a lingering touch on this team, as a hard working, over-achieving, blue collar team that never quits, and that all fits pretty well with Zimmer's no nonsense approach, and get's backed up by our star player's phenomenal work ethic despite his natural gifts.

I especially like Teddy's attitude. He just seems to be so freakin stoked to be a Viking!?!! When asked if it's difficult learning to play with new WRs or what the hardest part of learning the Turners' offense is he finally, momentarily drops his shit eatin grin and gets serious for a second, saying,

You know it’s not really hard at all if you put the time in...Just being able to learn this offense, it hasn’t been a challenge or anything at all, as I continue to say, just go and put the time in and go the extra mile because like I said, we’re in the NFL now. It’s your job now. You have nothing to do but learn football, so that’s been my mindset so far and I’m going to continue to learn it.
    What I'm reading between the lines here is that he really, fully appreciates the opportunity he's been given, and is so damn excited to do this job that its no challenge at all, he just can't wait to go to work. And that is good news Vikings fans, because despite any skillz or shortcomings any NFL players have, the will to work is how the good get great. Sounds like he's at least giving himself a chance.

Finding the Fits: Dependable Crichton could be Vikings' safest pick - CBSSports.com

Interesting article on this year's draft. Crichton could be a very good fit in Zimmer's D, and you need depth there to keep them fresh, focused and attacking all game long...something we obviously had issues with last year given all of the late collapses.

And Rang brings up a solid point in that we were there catching "draft day sliders" all draft long...

Barr was listed as a top five pick at one point.
    Bridgewater was widely thought to go no.1 overall for many months.
    I saw several mocks where we took Crichton with our 2nd round pick to replace Allen.
    McKinnon is a superfreak athlete without a true position, so hard to guess where he would have went if we hadn't grabbed him at the end of the 3rd.
    Yankey was expected to go in the third by most mocks.
    Exum could have easily gone much earlier if not for his injury.

By my count, that is 5 players we landed who most thought would go earlier...now the question remains whether we got a bargain in each case, or missed the why nobody else snagged them before we did, but it looks like a value meets need situation at the moment. Can't wait to see them on the field in full speed play!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12